Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

81 - 100 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Is this a 4th Gen CR-V?
Don't know. Registered March 2018.
Crikey 2am 'joyce44' that's dedication. I have been trying to move things on as well (not at 2am though mate)
Having not received any reply to my latest e-mail to Honda 19/11/20 and finding that the link in their mail I was replying to would not work I had to try and resort to telephone calls. But after a lot of attempts (Cut offs, Crackling & dead lines) I did get to speak to a lady whom informed me that ‘Honda Senior Technicians’ at Honda has checked it all out and decreed that there is no problem.
After informing her of the information’s contained within this website tend to disagree with their findings she said that the person dealing with my Registered Complaint’ is called ‘Nafia’ and that she could now see she was free and will put me through. But unfortunately, it just rang 5 times then cut off!
So, I have sent another suitable reply by return of their last mail to me requesting a reply not only to that previous mail but to this one as well. What more could we do?
Thanks Barzey and DK.
Hope you have better luck than I have so far with Honda UK. Barzey. Keep us updated.
Sorry to sound long winded everyone but this is as brief an update as possible for you - and anyone else who comes across this site/forum.​
My beautiful new hybrid CR-V auto AWD EX £38,500 cash purchase was registered 1st March 2020.​
Within 10 days I had been back to the dealership.Loved the car but complained about the satnav lack of volume. They brought out their Techie whoa said he would just increase volume. Guess what? Already at full volume. Road tested & all agreed very low volume. Two of the voice choices even worse. "No problem - will sort it out with Honda UK"...............................No luck there. "It is up to design specification" was their response. Dealership are in support of my position as they were becoming aware of other complaints - but continued to get same response from Honda UK and no plans to have any download/updates or any .fix' "If unhappy approach the motoring ombudsman".​
Started contacting Honda UK myself direct by email 10th March. Worked my way up two levels of 'supervisors' - given a contact reference 2289581 - you could refer to it - my name is Lomax and I am in Doncaster - try Nikolay Stamenkov and/or Ashley Grey and/or Karen ---Customer Relations Coordinators.
Corona virus hit the fan and the world stopped !! Didn't get much further.
So I paid £200 for independent DEKRA engineer's visit.​
He checked my wife's 2018 regular CR-V auto and my 2020 hybrid side by side.​
Report summarizes that the Garmin 'units' both 'operated' OK - BUT - there was a marked difference in the volumes with the hybrid being difficult to hear especially so on the road test.​
Eventually became aware of the Owners Club and am now co-ordinating all the info I can. I will be phoning this week and re-introducing myself to Honda UK.

·
Triangular Horse Knees
5,174 Posts
Don't know. Registered March 2018.
Do you have a pic? Or even a generic one?

Reason I ask is because in 2018, thats when the UK got the 5th Gen and still also had the 4th Gen in production too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
if there is any info you need on how the units work on the US model, let me know, I’ll try to get it for you or post a video or whatever I can reasonably do to help.
Thanks Michael.
My model No. on purchase documents says :- 2020 CR-V 5 door 2.0 i- MMD Hybrid EX 5dr eCVT Hybrid Estate Crystal Black Pearl Interior.
Is it possible to find out from your USA dealership if there is an equivalent/similar model over there? And are they aware of USA and/or UK very low volume problems and if they are aware of any 'fixes'?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Do you have a pic? Or even a generic one?

Reason I ask is because in 2018, thats when the UK got the 5th Gen and still also had the 4th Gen in production too.
Hi DK - As I said - I do not know what generation my hybrid is but assuming 5th.. Hope it helps.
Cheers.
Click on or enter link https://usedcars.honda.co.uk/en/used-cars/approved-cars/honda/cr-v/20-i-mmd-184ps-sr-5-door-s4ccfxs this is the model hybrid I have (except mine is EX and has pearl interior).

My wifes March 2018 registered CR-V EX auto 2.0 has a gear lever and above the sat nav there is a handy info recess for putting the keys and other 'clutter' ha ha. My hybrid has now got push button gears and also air vents where the clutter recess was on my wife's.

·
Triangular Horse Knees
5,174 Posts
My wifes March 2018 registered CR-V EX auto 2.0 has a gear lever and above the sat nav there is a handy info recess for putting the keys and other 'clutter' ha ha. My hybrid has now got push button gears and also air vents where the clutter recess was on my wife's.
Guessing then that this is the 4th Gen and yup, yours is the current 5th Gen 👍

·
Registered
2020 Honda CRV Hybrid 2WD Premium Crystal Red
21 Posts
Tried out my sat nav this morning on the way to the dentist 7 mile away.
Sat nav volume set at 11 (highest setting), audio volume set at 10 travelling at 50mph had no problems hearing audio directions.
Maybe I am lucky where I live (Glasgow area) the roads don't emit that much noise or maybe don't have the audio volume cranked way up.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V 2.0 Hybrid i-MMD AWD EX
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Thanks for that info Ron1452 - I see that you have the 2WD version shown there. Is it a 1.5 Engine by the way? as if it is then it confirms my suspicions that this problem with the volume seems suspiciously to be only on the 2 ltr Engine. (All our roads down this end of the UK are multi surface, well patched if we are lucky or huge gaping holes)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Barzey,
Afraid not, its the Hybrid 2WD SR in the best colour IMO. Looks suspiciously like yours unless its Milano Red.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 · (Edited)
Hi Barzey,
Afraid not, its the Hybrid 2WD SR in the best colour IMO. Looks suspiciously like yours unless its Milano Red.
Cheers again, Mines the 'Premium Crystal Red Metallic' I now wish I had gone for the Cream Leather interior though now but was put off by the possibility of keeping them clean. Anyway that's one part of my theory shot down then. I have had two other CR-V 'EX's and the Guidance volumes were absolutely fine.
If it wasn't for the other people on here having the same problem I would be going to have a Hearing Test. However the Wife confirms that she really struggles to hear it and she sure has ears that doesn't miss a thing!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Don't have leather colour choice in the SR. Wouldn't go for the Cream leather exactly for the cleaning issue.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Don't have leather colour choice in the SR. Wouldn't go for the Cream leather exactly for the cleaning issue.
Hi again guys.
Ron - Mine is the 2 litre iMMD EX Auto AWD. Crystal Black metallic and looks beautiful with the Pearl (Cream) upholstery - which cleans quite well.
My wife also has ears that hear a pin drop (but deaf when it suits her !!!!) and confirms that even for her the volume of the sat nav and even the 'notifications' - such as 'Fasten Seat Belt e.g.' are difficult to hear . I have actually played about with all the volumes, balances & tones systems and achieved a result that is just 'about' acceptable. However that is on the loudest 'voice'. The other two voices have always been even worse and are still poor. So still going to harass Honda when the pandemic vaccine allows them to respond again (my wife and I had the first one last Friday). What is the point of spending £38,500 on a car when all the facilities do not function as 'not fit for purpose'?
p.s. My wife has a 3 year old CRV EX Auto and the volume is loud enough even half the indicated max levels.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Hi again guys.
Ron - Mine is the 2 litre iMMD EX Auto AWD. Crystal Black metallic and looks beautiful with the Pearl (Cream) upholstery - which cleans quite well.
My wife also has ears that hear a pin drop (but deaf when it suits her !!!!) and confirms that even for her the volume of the sat nav and even the 'notifications' - such as 'Fasten Seat Belt e.g.' are difficult to hear . I have actually played about with all the volumes, balances & tones systems and achieved a result that is just 'about' acceptable. However that is on the loudest 'voice'. The other two voices have always been even worse and are still poor. So still going to harass Honda when the pandemic vaccine allows them to respond again (my wife and I had the first one last Friday). What is the point of spending £38,500 on a car when all the facilities do not function as 'not fit for purpose'?
p.s. My wife has a 3 year old CRV EX Auto and the volume is loud enough even half the indicated max levels.
Completely agree with you. I have just tried to send a report off to the 'Top Gear' TV programme using their link but for some reason it was undeliverable. None of the Motoring Magazines have replied still, but I did manage to get in a report on the "Parkers Forum". Like you I am not giving up on this, not just for my own selfish reasons but in the interest of Road Safety in the hope to get it put right before there is a fatal RTA while the Drivers attention is distracted while glancing at the screen trying to follow the Sat-Navs directions. Shame on both Honda & Garmin! My next vehicle will NOT be a Honda.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Completely agree with you. I have just tried to send a report off to the 'Top Gear' TV programme using their link but for some reason it was undeliverable. None of the Motoring Magazines have replied still, but I did manage to get in a report on the "Parkers Forum". Like you I am not giving up on this, not just for my own selfish reasons but in the interest of Road Safety in the hope to get it put right before there is a fatal RTA while the Drivers attention is distracted while glancing at the screen trying to follow the Sat-Navs directions. Shame on both Honda & Garmin! My next vehicle will NOT be a Honda.

GR8! keep up the good work. If you add the contact details that you have written to then the owners reading this site can try pushing them as well.
When contacting Honda I always say my next car will NOT be a Honda unless they sort this out ! . That is what I say in order for them to think they may get your business if they do. My local dealer has been trying to sell my wife a new car as hers is 3 years old in March.
Agree with you on safety issue

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Okay, I have just managed to ascertain the correct e-mail address for 'BBC Top Gear' ([email protected]) and sent in a suitable request for their reading and possible help. So perhaps those affected could do something similar in the hope that Top Gear can. I will dig out the other e-mail address's later on to assist.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Okay, I have just managed to ascertain the correct e-mail address for 'BBC Top Gear' ([email protected]) and sent in a suitable request for their reading and possible help. So perhaps those affected could do something similar in the hope that Top Gear can. I will dig out the other e-mail address's later on to assist.
Thanks Barzey

·
Triangular Horse Knees
5,174 Posts
Let us know how you get on 👍

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Further to last post, having checked my sent e-mails it seems that any or all of the different 'Motoring Magazines in the UK' that I have tried to make contact with seem to come under an umbrella named "Dennis Magazines UK" where a 'Steve Fowler' whom appears to be the 'Editor in Chief' has been contacted. But the only response received thus far was from a 'Stuart Milne' whom stated Fowler was away at the time but he would bring it to his notice. As usual nothing heard since.

Mails to 'Honda Europe Customer Service' has twice been replied by a 'Denitsa Hristova' whom 'Passed it to someone called Nafia' to deal with but as usual, nothing forthcoming from them either. Likewise when I sent an e-mail to 'Honda Japan' - yet again nothing heard from them either.

Of course 'Garmin UK' may also be worth some attention as they must have some interest as its their name that actually appears on the equipment

So all we can continue to do is persue at them with many more e-mail enquiries to try and get someone interested in their useless Honda/Garmin Sat Nav.

Meanwhile folks when it comes down to it, do we really want to bother or risk buying another Honda product again despite our previous enthusiasm and the lack of their concern to their customers? I certainly will not. Its a shame because I have been well pleased with the other CR-V's I have owned and there is now a broad selection of similar vehicles out there to choose from.

·
Triangular Horse Knees
5,174 Posts
So all we can continue to do is persue at them with many more e-mail enquiries to try and get someone interested in their useless Honda/Garmin Sat Nav.
I dont think the current lockdown situ helps either....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Like others on this forum I have a 2019 CR-V.

I have previously informed Honda UK that I have significant hearing loss and that the volume setting for the Garmin Sat-Nav renders the system not merely useless, but downright dangerous. All I want is a vehicle I can use safely, yet I am forced to take my eyes off the road ahead and look down at the map to follow any directions needed. It is self-evident that my needs (and the needs of others with similar problems) were not taken into account when the SatNav volume was set at 11.

After my dealership failed to adjust the volume I raised a complaint with Honda UK. When this failed I wrote to Jean-Marc Streng, the MD of Honda UK. Since then I have received letters, emails abd phone calls from various Customer Relations Co-ordinators for Honda UK. The net result is that Honda UK: "Confirm the final outcome on the case is that this has been investigated at factory level and it has been found to be within design specification therefor there will be no fix or counter measure to be issued as no fault was found." Honda tell me "we have given you the final outcome and further correspondence will not be responded too."

I have, as I am sure you can imagine, written back to Honda but I am not expecting a reply. What follows is my letter to Honda UK which I am now publishing here as a Open Letter.

OPEN LETTER TO HONDA UK

I am quite shocked by your reply.

I am particularly shocked by the disconnect between the way I, and others, have been ignored regarding the SatNav volume coupled with my experience as a driver with hearing problems and how this contrasts with the positive statements you make regarding the fine way Honda designs cars, listens to its customers, values their feedback and all while abiding by the companies’ fundamental beliefs.
You write:

“I can assure you when designing a vehicle we take all our customers into consideration including those with disabilities and I am sorry you feel this is not the case for you so far. “

I have previously informed Honda UK that I have significant hearing loss and that the volume setting for the Garmin Sat-Nav renders the system not merely useless, but downright dangerous. All I want is a vehicle I can use safely, yet I am forced to take my eyes off the road ahead and look down at the map to follow any directions needed. It is self-evident that my needs (and the needs of others with similar problems) were not taken into account when the SatNav volume was set at 11.

In my last email I explained that I even attempted to resolve the matter by asking whether an amplifier could be fitted and told JT Hughes I would be quite willing to pay for one. I explained that I was told that Honda had no approved amplifiers and fitting an unapproved amplifier could well invalidate the warranty.

You did not even bother to comment on this!

Instead you told me that:

“The final outcome on the case is that this has been investigated at factory level and it has been found to be within design specification therefore there will be no fix or counter measure to be issued as no fault was found.”

Could you tell me why Honda UK consider the design specification to be appropriate when it forces a Honda owner with significant hearing loss to drive in an unsafe manner?

If you read the five pages of complaints about this matter on the CR-V Owners Club web site ( See: Sat Nav Updates ) you will realise that I am not the only Honda owner who is frustrated beyond belief by the poor specification of the SatNav volume. Given the level of complaints Honda have received and the company’s unwillingness to deal with the matter I wonder if you can begin to understand why I find it quite laughable when you comment that Honda UK:
“take all customer feedback extremely seriously and without feedback such as yours we could not look to enhance our vehicles in the future.”
How can you possibly enhance your vehicles in the future if you will not accept that a fundamental error was made in the specification of the SatNav volume and then rectify matters once this error is drawn to your attention?
Someone in Honda UK needs to stop hiding behind the pathetic excuse that the SatNav volume is “within design specification” and accept that the design specification is, and always was, unacceptably and dangerously low. Honda UK needs to accept that people with disabilities have specific needs; to listen when those needs are clearly articulated and then ensure swift and decisive action is taken to resolve what is a serious problem.

When will this happen?

·
Triangular Horse Knees
5,174 Posts
@smithy32 - hello and welcome.

Just to clarify, do you have a Hybrid too?

81 - 100 of 130 Posts