Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

101 - 120 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
How does one address a Dark Knight?

Hi Sir.

No my CR-V is a CR-V EX I-VTEC CVT Petrol powered. I may well have posted on the wrong thread However it is clear that it is not just Hyrbrid owners who suffer from this problem and this is the thread with most information.

·
Triangular Horse Knees
5,174 Posts
How does one address a Dark Knight?

Hi Sir.

No my CR-V is a CR-V EX I-VTEC CVT Petrol powered. I may well have posted on the wrong thread However it is clear that it is not just Hyrbrid owners who suffer from this problem and this is the thread with most information.
No worry on how you address Squire :)

Now, this is interesting.

Like you, I have the exact same car. And I have to disagree with you on the volume issue.

Mine works fine and is plenty loud. In fact, I have mine turned down to about 5.

I'm not saying you are wrong - but you are certainly the first 1.5T owner from the UK/Europe to complain about this issue on the site.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi DarKnight

When you say you disagree with me on the volume issue and that yours is plenty loud what you are actually saying is that your ears are better than mine. I have significant hearing loss and suffer from tinitus.

My daughter drives a Nissan X-Trail; her car radio has a maximum volume of 40 and the navigation system also has a maximum volume of 40. As a person with hearing loss driving her car, I am perfectly able to adjust the navigation volume to a point where I can clearly hear instruction. This is exactly what I experienced with all my previous Honda CRVs; this is now my fourth CR-V. I could go out and buy a different car but I don't want to. I want a CR-v that works, it's what I thought a paid for when I traded in my previous model.

It is interesting to learn that I am the first 1.5T owner from the UK/Europe to complain about this issue on this site.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I wonder what they will say about the voice ativated climate control not working
I also have the quiet volume on garmin but i use google maps and that is fine
maybe not the right answer but you have to pick your fights

·
Registered
6 Posts
The cynic in me says that Honda UK will probably tell you the voice ativated climate control not working is “within specification” and that no resolution to the issue is available.

·
Triangular Horse Knees
5,174 Posts
I have significant hearing loss and suffer from tinitus.
Of course, issues like that will contribute in a different way, so I now better understand your position 👍

It is interesting to learn that I am the first 1.5T owner from the UK/Europe to complain about this issue on this site.
As you can tell from this thread, the complaints have exclusively been Hybrid owners only.

·
Registered
471 Posts
The cynic in me says that Honda UK will probably tell you the voice ativated climate control not working is “within specification” and that no resolution to the issue is available.
The voice activation for the climate control brings up the control but when you tell it to increase or decrease it just ignores you
A bit like honda :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yep,. Sounds like that is working “within specification” and that no resolution to the issue is available. The fact that the specification was useless is of no interest to Honda UK. I really don't get it. Honda have a reputation for innovative design. How can they maitain that reputation if they won't listen and respond.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Hybrid SR Crystal Red Metallic
335 Posts
I sympathise with you but I think you are peeing against the proverbial wind. The reason Honda aren’t interested is probably because the majority of drivers use Google maps or Waze to navigate. Phone based packages are so user friendly and reliable especially when used in conjunction with CarPlay or Android Auto. One of the beauties of the modern car is the interface between phones and the infotainment system and as a result inbuilt sat nav usage is in decline. Reduced numbers means reduced complaints from owners so limited gains by implementing changes to an already dated system.

Just out of interest have you tried phone based sat navs. I use Google maps and the audio levels can be set very high. I find it very easy to use and more reliable and up to date than the Garmin system and less busy on the screen.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Further to last post, having checked my sent e-mails it seems that any or all of the different 'Motoring Magazines in the UK' that I have tried to make contact with seem to come under an umbrella named "Dennis Magazines UK" where a 'Steve Fowler' whom appears to be the 'Editor in Chief' has been contacted. But the only response received thus far was from a 'Stuart Milne' whom stated Fowler was away at the time but he would bring it to his notice. As usual nothing heard since.

Mails to 'Honda Europe Customer Service' has twice been replied by a 'Denitsa Hristova' whom 'Passed it to someone called Nafia' to deal with but as usual, nothing forthcoming from them either. Likewise when I sent an e-mail to 'Honda Japan' - yet again nothing heard from them either.

Of course 'Garmin UK' may also be worth some attention as they must have some interest as its their name that actually appears on the equipment

So all we can continue to do is persue at them with many more e-mail enquiries to try and get someone interested in their useless Honda/Garmin Sat Nav.

Meanwhile folks when it comes down to it, do we really want to bother or risk buying another Honda product again despite our previous enthusiasm and the lack of their concern to their customers? I certainly will not. Its a shame because I have been well pleased with the other CR-V's I have owned and there is now a broad selection of similar vehicles out there to choose from.
THX Barzey. Will try to follow through.
However - I spoke on the phone to Garmin some months ago and they said they supply to Honda the model they have but it is Honda who set the volume and is out of their control. Maybe if you guys try? And mention that Honda are giving them a bad name so maybe they could chase Honda UK and mention the build up of bad blood as seen on this site?
Like others on this forum I have a 2019 CR-V.

I have previously informed Honda UK that I have significant hearing loss and that the volume setting for the Garmin Sat-Nav renders the system not merely useless, but downright dangerous. All I want is a vehicle I can use safely, yet I am forced to take my eyes off the road ahead and look down at the map to follow any directions needed. It is self-evident that my needs (and the needs of others with similar problems) were not taken into account when the SatNav volume was set at 11.

After my dealership failed to adjust the volume I raised a complaint with Honda UK. When this failed I wrote to Jean-Marc Streng, the MD of Honda UK. Since then I have received letters, emails abd phone calls from various Customer Relations Co-ordinators for Honda UK. The net result is that Honda UK: "Confirm the final outcome on the case is that this has been investigated at factory level and it has been found to be within design specification therefor there will be no fix or counter measure to be issued as no fault was found." Honda tell me "we have given you the final outcome and further correspondence will not be responded too."

I have, as I am sure you can imagine, written back to Honda but I am not expecting a reply. What follows is my letter to Honda UK which I am now publishing here as a Open Letter.

OPEN LETTER TO HONDA UK

I am quite shocked by your reply.

I am particularly shocked by the disconnect between the way I, and others, have been ignored regarding the SatNav volume coupled with my experience as a driver with hearing problems and how this contrasts with the positive statements you make regarding the fine way Honda designs cars, listens to its customers, values their feedback and all while abiding by the companies’ fundamental beliefs.
You write:

“I can assure you when designing a vehicle we take all our customers into consideration including those with disabilities and I am sorry you feel this is not the case for you so far. “

I have previously informed Honda UK that I have significant hearing loss and that the volume setting for the Garmin Sat-Nav renders the system not merely useless, but downright dangerous. All I want is a vehicle I can use safely, yet I am forced to take my eyes off the road ahead and look down at the map to follow any directions needed. It is self-evident that my needs (and the needs of others with similar problems) were not taken into account when the SatNav volume was set at 11.

In my last email I explained that I even attempted to resolve the matter by asking whether an amplifier could be fitted and told JT Hughes I would be quite willing to pay for one. I explained that I was told that Honda had no approved amplifiers and fitting an unapproved amplifier could well invalidate the warranty.

You did not even bother to comment on this!

Instead you told me that:

“The final outcome on the case is that this has been investigated at factory level and it has been found to be within design specification therefore there will be no fix or counter measure to be issued as no fault was found.”

Could you tell me why Honda UK consider the design specification to be appropriate when it forces a Honda owner with significant hearing loss to drive in an unsafe manner?

If you read the five pages of complaints about this matter on the CR-V Owners Club web site ( See: Sat Nav Updates ) you will realise that I am not the only Honda owner who is frustrated beyond belief by the poor specification of the SatNav volume. Given the level of complaints Honda have received and the company’s unwillingness to deal with the matter I wonder if you can begin to understand why I find it quite laughable when you comment that Honda UK:
“take all customer feedback extremely seriously and without feedback such as yours we could not look to enhance our vehicles in the future.”
How can you possibly enhance your vehicles in the future if you will not accept that a fundamental error was made in the specification of the SatNav volume and then rectify matters once this error is drawn to your attention?
Someone in Honda UK needs to stop hiding behind the pathetic excuse that the SatNav volume is “within design specification” and accept that the design specification is, and always was, unacceptably and dangerously low. Honda UK needs to accept that people with disabilities have specific needs; to listen when those needs are clearly articulated and then ensure swift and decisive action is taken to resolve what is a serious problem.

When will this happen?
Welcome and well done for your circulations Smithy - you have obviously absorbed all 5 pages and so should Honda UK if they take the trouble to come on to this site as you have pointed out to them.
You will have read that other complainants have partners and young family members with excellent hearing who confirm it is not just deaf old f++ts like us (I have a perforated eardrum) who complain. As I have previously reported - my wife bought a new March 2018 CR-V EX auto where the volume goes to 15/16 but is more than loud enough .set at 5 or 6 !!!! Based on our pleasure with that I bought my £38,500 Hybrid March 2020. A beautiful car that - to our chagrin - spoils the driving of it.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX-L
27 Posts
I sympathise with you but I think you are peeing against the proverbial wind. The reason Honda aren’t interested is probably because the majority of drivers use Google maps or Waze to navigate. Phone based packages are so user friendly and reliable especially when used in conjunction with CarPlay or Android Auto. One of the beauties of the modern car is the interface between phones and the infotainment system and as a result inbuilt sat nav usage is in decline. Reduced numbers means reduced complaints from owners so limited gains by implementing changes to an already dated system.

Just out of interest have you tried phone based sat navs. I use Google maps and the audio levels can be set very high. I find it very easy to use and more reliable and up to date than the Garmin system and less busy on the screen.
The only problem with using Carplay navigation is that it freezes on a regular basis, and if you aren't paying attention you end up in strange locales.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The only problem with using Carplay navigation is that it freezes on a regular basis, and if you aren't paying attention you end up in strange locales.
Sorry to hear that. Check your cable. Dodgy or inferior cables are generally accepted as causing operating issues with CarPlay across a variety of manufacturers. I’m sure there’s several threads discuss this. I’ve used the system for 20 months and never had a failure.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V 2.0 Hybrid i-MMD AWD EX
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Well it seems that Honda are absolutely not interested in sorting out this problem for their loyal customers.
So next year I for one, after being a Honda fan for many years, will most definatly be voting with my feet and will change over to the equivalent specs of either Mercedes, Volvo, or perhaps even Hyundai or Nissan. Yes I appreciate that any make/model can and may have its little faults; but when I am spending a lot of money (as far as I am concerned) on a brand new vehicle I expect any faults, even minor ones to be sorted out quickly, properly and efficiently. Most certainly not being downright insulted by being told that it meets 'Their' standards which it most definatly hasn't - that's called absolute Failure.
I do wish everyone else suffering the same problem the very best of luck in obtaining a satisfactory conclusion to this. I certainly wont be mentioning this inherent problem to the eventual garage that I trade my current 7 month old one into either.

·
Triangular Horse Knees
5,174 Posts
Sad to hear that.

Find it real strange that this affects Hybrids. Not sure what else one can say I'm afraid.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sad to hear that.

Find it real strange that this affects Hybrids. Not sure what else one can say I'm afraid.
I can only think that the 'normal' amount of power previously 'inbuilt' for the Garmin unit maybe now suffers from being 'stolen' by the vast power requirements of the hybrid spec?

1. By the way - I have a Nokia 5.1 which plays the voice directions through the Garmin but not the map. I was told by the Honda salesman to get the 'special' lead from Curries and the map should play on screen too. Man at Curries says will not work with Nokia 5.1 !!!!
  2. Another 'fudge'? Enter destination in Garmin with its voice muted but listen to directions via Nokia 5.1. Unfortunately the routes sometimes differ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Shouldn't even have to consider these 'fudges' on a high spec brand new car.
  3. Buy another phone that IS compatible? More expenditure? For what?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Have you guys actually tried connecting an Apple or Android phone and using Waze or Google maps. Both updated on the fly, plenty loud and live traffic info with the look and feel of a modern interface. Try it, you might actually like it and it’ll save you a wedge of money if you’re thinking of chopping your car in prematurely because of these Garmin problems.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Have you guys actually tried connecting an Apple or Android phone and using Waze or Google maps. Both updated on the fly, plenty loud and live traffic info with the look and feel of a modern interface. Try it, you might actually like it and it’ll save you a wedge of money if you’re thinking of chopping your car in prematurely because of these Garmin problems.
I agree the garmin is rubish and I have no problems using google maps or waze

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid
11 Posts
I have a question about connecting the cable. Can you still have a short cable connected to the USB port even after turning off the car? Of course, without the phone plugged in. It is a bit troublesome to constantly connect the USB cable of the car, which is under the cover of the center tunnel for me. Is there any chance that the cable connected all the time has some effect on the battery?

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
218 Posts
I have a question about connecting the cable. Can you still have a short cable connected to the USB port even after turning off the car? Of course, without the phone plugged in. It is a bit troublesome to constantly connect the USB cable of the car, which is under the cover of the center tunnel for me. Is there any chance that the cable connected all the time has some effect on the battery?
No issue with leaving the cable connected

101 - 120 of 130 Posts