Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my 2020 CRV Hybrid in the dealership for an oil change. 15,000 miles. This is the second oil change. They are telling me in addition to an oil change it needs $300 worth of "other" service, including rear wiper blade, cabin air filter and fuel induction cleaning. All of this with tax, about $300, the majority is the fuel induction cleaning. Is this normal? or is it a money grab? The car runs fine and I don't have any issues with it, other than it says it needs an oil change. I bought it new about one year ago and when it's not being driving it sits in an enclosed garage. I have had issues with this dealership before trying to sell me services that were not needed and wondering if that's the case again.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,093 Posts
Say nicely, "I will think about it and bring it back if I decide to do this extra work" Just do the oil change.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
7,558 Posts
Money grab!

Save your 300 bucks.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
846 Posts
I have my 2020 CRV Hybrid in the dealership for an oil change. 15,000 miles. This is the second oil change. They are telling me in addition to an oil change it needs $300 worth of "other" service, including rear wiper blade, cabin air filter and fuel induction cleaning. All of this with tax, about $300, the majority is the fuel induction cleaning. Is this normal? or is it a money grab? The car runs fine and I don't have any issues with it, other than it says it needs an oil change. I bought it new about one year ago and when it's not being driving it sits in an enclosed garage. I have had issues with this dealership before trying to sell me services that were not needed and wondering if that's the case again.
Here us what Honda says. Net, if you are using Top Tier gas absolutely not needed,

2:​
Regular use of injector cleaner is required for models designated for Cayman, Honduras, Nicaragua, Gambia, Nigeria, Cape Verde, Peru, Djibouti, Guinea, Guatemala, Venezuela, Haiti, Togo and Equatorial Guinea.​
*3:​
Regular use of injector cleaner may be required for models designated for the following countries, it will depend on the quality of the fuel used. Consult your dealer for details: Andorra, Paraguay, Philippines, Tanzania, Vietnam, Indonesia, West Sahara, Zambia, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Somalia, Seychelles, Sao Tome and Principe, Reunion, Rwanda, Mozambique, Mauritania, Mauritius, Melilla, Madagascar, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Bissau, Ghana, Gabon, D.R. Congo, Central African Rep., Ceuta, Chad, Comoros, Canary Islands, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Vanuatu, Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, Samoa, American Samoa, Palau, Myanmar, Nepal, MarshallIslands, Macau, Brunei, Cambodia, Cook Islands, Bangladesh, Yemen, Lebanon, Palestine Territory, Iran, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Virgine Island (UK), Virgine Island (US), Dominican Republic, Bermuda, Jamaica, Kiribati, Ethiopia, Gambia, Gibraltar, Monaco, San Marino, India, Kyrgyzstan.​

·
Premium Member
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory
276 Posts
As stated above, just use Toptier fuel, if you feel compulsive, add a bottle of Techron occasionally, won't hurt but the Toptier really has everything you need to keep injectors clean. Get the cabin filter from parts and install it yourself, takes 5 minutes max, many YouTube videos on how to do it, my Honda mechanic showed me years ago.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V EX-L Hybrid
91 Posts
definitely do not get the fuel injection cleaner service. If it makes you feel better just get a bottle of injector cleaner from the gas station 1x a year and use it. that is what I do for peace of mind.

·
Registered
2013 CR-V EXL
9 Posts
I'm a Honda Service Advisor, and I try to refrain from suggesting any rediculous add-on's at 15k miles, the only thing my techs check during a 15k mile service are both the engine air filter, and cabin air filter. 3/4 of the time they are needed, due to living in the southeast US...(rediculous amounts of pollen and alot of rural farming country)

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX Obsidian Blue
41 Posts
Interesting your post came the same day this popped up: my disliked-but-it's-the-only-one dealership just sent me an email saying my CRV needed a service. I'm not going anywhere until the Minder tells me to! (currently 15 months old with about 9K miles--I'm retired and don't get out much)

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
846 Posts
Interesting your post came the same day this popped up: my disliked-but-it's-the-only-one dealership just sent me an email saying my CRV needed a service. I'm not going anywhere until the Minder tells me to! (currently 15 months old with about 9K miles--I'm retired and don't get out much)
Have you had your first oil change yet? That’s due at 12 months regardless of mileage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Money grab. I've had numerous CRV'S over the years. I took one into a dealer that told me basically the same thing and I refused. Took it to another Honda dealer and they told me the other dealer was full of it. Never went back to the first dealer again.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,025 Posts
I'm a Honda Service Advisor, and I try to refrain from suggesting any rediculous add-on's at 15k miles, the only thing my techs check during a 15k mile service are both the engine air filter, and cabin air filter. 3/4 of the time they are needed, due to living in the southeast US...(rediculous amounts of pollen and alot of rural farming country)
In my experience, Honda Service Advisors are excellent and professional people. (y) (y)

They also take a lot of mud slung at them by some owners too.. but that comes with customer facing roles around complex consumer products. You have to have a particular temperament and personality to do your job well.. so... (y) I personally observed an irate owner one time tearing into a Service Advisor where I get my Hondas serviced. From listening to the discussion for a few minutes, it was clear the owner was totally out in left field, did not know what they were talking about, and the Service Advisor and Service Manager were working patiently to try to resolve the cause of concern, but the vehicle owner was not listening and was continuing to be abusive. Sadly, it happens.

Like most operations, the quality and character of the Service Advisors, Service Techs, and Service Manager at a dealership are very closely coupled to the ethics and conduct of the dealership owner. And I do think Honda does a fair job of keeping dealers in their lane and on the straight and true with owners. But of course, not all dealerships are alike, and Honda cannot have eyes on everyone in dealerships 24/7.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
3,729 Posts
In my experience, Honda Service Advisors are excellent and professional people. (y) (y)
Likewise.
But I figure when the new service adviser sees me coming out of the owner's office talking about our upcoming fishing trip he quickly figures out that he should treat me right. :)
Fortunately they seem to treat everyone right.

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
Money grab. I've had numerous CRV'S over the years. I took one into a dealer that told me basically the same thing and I refused. Took it to another Honda dealer and they told me the other dealer was full of it. Never went back to the first dealer again.
It's not a money grab though, unless you consent to it absent understanding on the part of the vehicle owner.

It's service offered or suggested. And generally speaking an informed consumer cannot have money grabbed from them, but they can be uninformed and hand money over for service not actually required.

I am of the approach as an owner of knowing the difference between something required and something offered or suggested in the form of vehicle service.

It is on the owner to know what is required to service and maintain their Honda, and the MM is their ally in doing this. Yet so many owners refuse to even understand or trust their MM, much less what any dealership may present to them as suggested services.

Take fuel injector cleaning service as one example. In fairness to dealerships, they have absolutely no idea what fuel an owner has been pumping into their vehicle. So them suggesting a fuel injector cleaning service every 15-20K miles is not in and of itself predatory or abusive in my view. The owner however has to be mindful of the difference between "required", "recommended", and "owner desired". At my dealer they actually recommend FI service at 30K miles, but I always decline it. And the words they do use for this is "recommended", not required. I decline it because I know that I only put top tier fuel in my Hondas (as recommended by Honda) and I know the driving characteristics and quality of my Hondas. I also explain my reasons for declining to my Service Advisor, who never has pushed back and has always accepted my reasoning. The irony here about fuel injector services being offered though is we have a good number of members here who DO believe they need injectors cleaned routinely, for whatever old school carry over they have in mind from the pre-top-tier fuel days. Probably the same camp that still believes in oil changes every 3000 miles or 6 months too.

I encourage owners to spend a few hours early in ownership to read and understand the life long regular schedule of service requirements for their CRV, and to pay attention to and trust their Maintenance Minder. An informed consumer cannot generally be fooled into an unnecessary service. Further.. listen to your Service Advisor, ask questions, have an actual discussion about your vehicle and service for your vehicle.

Build a positive relationship with the Service Advisors at your dealership (or independent service provider), which is generally the most important member of the Service staff at a Honda Dealership.. because they have the primary customer facing role, and will work with dealerships staff, and even with Honda to help insure customers are satisfied with their service. Help them help you.

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
Likewise.
But I figure when the new service adviser sees me coming out of the owner's office talking about our upcoming fishing trip he quickly figures out that he should treat me right. :)
Fortunately they seem to treat everyone right.
And I think the business processes used by Honda to keep their dealerships on the straight and narrow really helps here. The post service customers survey process from Honda alone is extremely valuable for Honda, for owners, and for dealerships as it keeps dealerships and staff very customer focused. So I make a point to always complete those surveys, accurately and absent any drama.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My local Honda dealer said my Fit needed the engine air filter changed. I had changed it myself the day before. Have not been back to this dealer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts