Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm test driving used CR=Vs. Ive driven a 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016.

I noticed a 2012 with a bad vibration that I felt in my butt and body while accelerating while about 20 to 30 mph. When letting go of the gas to coast, vibration goes away. I did not know the 2012 had the vibration issue. I did not drive it much because of that.

A 2013 I was in the midst of buying from a dealer has the VTC rattle at times during startup and sometimes when first ran while just giving gas to back up and then go forward. I had the dealer check it out and they will not do anything unless they hear the noise first which has not happened so im taking it back and wont buy it. Is the VTC rattle also with the 2015 and up?

The 2013 also has in my opinion a too loose steering. The steering almost floats while running 40 mph and up and a very light touch of the steering wheel causes it to move thus causing the car to turn sort of abruptly. The 2015 and 16 I tested had a steering that required more force from me to make the steering wheel move, which to me gives a better driving experience and control. Is the steering different on the 2015 vs the 2013?

This 2013 also has a vibration i can feel in my butt, body and hands on the steering wheel when I get to 65 to 70 and seems to stay or get worse on up to 80 and 85. When i put the transmission into neutral going 80 and let go of the gas, the car rides smooth as it coasts down to 60. Is that tire balance or transmission/driveline vibration?

I drove a 2016 and it felt good except when I was cruising about 65 to 70 the car felt like it was lugging a bit with the feel that I felt with it. Is that normal and considered the vibrations that are talked about?

I want to buy a used CRV but am not sure which year to go with.

·
Registered
2012 Honda CRV EXL Nav AWD
30 Posts
Hello,
I myself have a 2012 so I wanted to give my opinion. I felt the same concerns about steering until I lowered it on BC coilovers and which it made the steering very good now and controllable now. The difference between the 2012-2014 vs the 2015-2016 is that the 2012 has a raw, less tech feel s its an old 5 speed. The 2015 has a CVT transmission and more tech but all depends personal preference. Personally I'd say if you're able to get a 2017 with the 1.5T, totally go for it.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,045 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome and the information. Any more advice can be shared? I have read a ton of info on this board. I have owned several Honda cars/suv over the years to include an old accord, an 02 odyssey and currently an 06 Pilot. Looking forward to adding a CRV to this list. So far I really dont know anything about the 17 and above CRV. I may start looking into that as well. The unfortunate thing is I have to make a decision during this weekend since the 13 I did purchase will be scheduled to go back to the dealer permanently at the beginning of the week so I will be left lacking transportation since I traded what I had to purchase the CRV and cannot get my trade back.

·
Registered
2012 Honda CRV EXL Nav AWD
30 Posts
Thanks for the welcome and the information. Any more advice can be shared? I have read a ton of info on this board. I have owned several Honda cars/suv over the years to include an old accord, an 02 odyssey and currently an 06 Pilot. Looking forward to adding a CRV to this list. So far I really dont know anything about the 17 and above CRV. I may start looking into that as well. The unfortunate thing is I have to make a decision during this weekend since the 13 I did purchase will be scheduled to go back to the dealer permanently at the beginning of the week so I will be left lacking transportation since I traded what I had to purchase the CRV and cannot get my trade back.
Honestly I'd suggest watching many youtube videos over reviews of the 2017+ CRV. Its faster, smoother, and full of tech features such as automatic braking, lane keep assist, and blind spot assist and more. I'd say do that and then after come back here for any final questions or over what the dealership says, therefore we can say if its a good deal or a scam.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2017 plus is out of budget. Im at the max just to get into a 2016 so I have to cap at that. As an aside, Im not thrilled about the 2017 dash styling. I have a 2016 in my color with 80k miles that I will be testing soon. I think I know a bit more about what to look for as far ar transmission issues. Did these have an AC issues? I read something about black death and noticed black smut on a 2013 where the belt has been carrying the dust I guess from the compressor clutch or from the belt itself.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The 2017s wouldn't be the model to get, they needed work out some of the bugs on both the 17s and 18s.

I bought a 16 due the possible issues with the newer models, the 19s and newer seem to be fine though.

So far our 16 has been great to drive, there's no vibration, that seemed to be a random problem on the 15.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts