Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I use the Scotchguard for Auto Upholstery on car carpet mats or do I have to buy the version meant for this?

Scotchguard has one for auto carpets which is a foaming cleanser/protectant. But I am wondering if it just another way for them to make more money.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Just used the regular scotch guard on my new CRV and parents new Venza. All I have ever used on my new vehicles was the regular scotch guard

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do I need to cover the glass and the plastic/vinyl parts of the interior before spraying the upholstery and mats with Scotchguard? And what happens if the those areas are accidently exposed to the Scotchguard?

·
Registered
633 Posts
I have never covered anything up, just been carefull. I have sprayed some on the "plastic" parts, as I recall, nothing happens!! Apply two light coats. If its fabric---I spray it. The top of the rear cover thingy is fabric material, so even scotch guarded that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm spraying the first coat on. How do you clean the white residue left behind? It's on the metal, plastic, and vinyl parts of the interior? And is it bad if I am unable to clean it till the next day?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Remove Scotchgard White Residue from Interior

I just applied two coats of the 3M Scotchgard Auto to the upholstery/carpets inside my CR-V. There is some white residue on the plastic, vinyl and metal parts. I hope this is not damaging those areas. What is the best way to remove the residue?

·
Registered
633 Posts
I tried to be careful when applying it---if i did spray it on any plastic, I wiped it off. I dont see any color changes or damage to any of the plastic that the scotchguard got on to.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It seems like it comes off with warm to hot water and handi-wipe cloth. It is a little tougher on the textured plastic. When you applied the scotchgard, did it leave a white or clear residue? I am wondering if the cold winter air is causing to dry with a white residue effect.

I guess I can't help worrying about what damage the scotchgard residue can have on the vinyl/plastic area since it is a new car. But it sounds like you have not had any bad experience.

If I can't remove the residue completely, what else can I use that will not harm the vinly/ plastics parts?

·
Registered
633 Posts
I never apply it in the cold---has to be somewhat warm!! Doesn't it say on the can not to apply unless it is a certain temp????

when I had some over spray onto plastic parts, just wiped off with a towel

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just looked at the label on the can. No temperature restrictions when applying. Only to avoid exposure to high temperature due to flammability and to "store" the can within a certain temperature range.

I would have preferred spraying the stuff in warmer temperature. I did not have too many choices. New car. Winter weather. Mud. 4 year old making a mess in the car.

Tried to clean up what residue I could during spraying. Cold temperature did not help much. As far as I can tell the stuff can be "rubbed" off. It just going to take a little more effort.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fitted car mats are designed to fit your car. All the required fittings are supplied, so your car mats will properly fit your car. Fitted car mats will both enhance & protect your car
Car mats are essential to ensure no wear and tear to your car. Good car mats will help you keep your car looking new, and will protect the value of your car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts