Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2019 EX
34 Posts
When I was forced to give up my landscape business due to health issues, I could no longer justify the 12mpg my perfectly sound 2004 Chevy Silverado was getting. It only had 64k miles on it, probably would have gone another 100k mi or 20 years. But I wanted something that got better mpg. It was also important to me that my new car was as reliable as my truck had been. Over the last 30 + years my Parents have had 6 Hondas that were trouble free with only one exception, their 1984 Accord's transmission had serious problems. I wanted a piolet because I am 6ft. 6in. tall. Because of my current employment situation I settled on a Certified Pre Owned 2017 CR-V EX L with Nav. Purchased it last week of Nov. 18. In the third week of Dec 18 the car started to idle very rough and became very sluggish. I took it home and checked the oil after it had cooled down. The oil level was half an inch above the orange plastic thing on the end of the dipstick. I thought this might be bad so I looked in the glove box for the owners manual. Qualify for Certified Pre Owned status it must have one. It didn't. What I did find was a 182 point certification check list with things marked as being present that weren't or finishes not having scratches or damage that had both. I am seriously considering hiring a lawyer. Any advice? Please help, I can't afford the loss if I have to trade it in on another car.
Brian1970:angryfire

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sorry about your "Newused" car problems. I can't advise you as to getting a lawyer or not but I can help you with getting a digital copy of the 2017 User manual. Click on the link below and download the manual. I would take the car back to the dealer and discuss the fuel in oil issues, they may offer a free oil change and address the rough idle issues. Remember, your attitude in dealing with the service personnel will determine the level of "after the sale" service you receive.
Owner manual is at this link http://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2017/CR-V/manuals

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Clear your PM's too. Your Mailbox is full.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Your PM's are still full, or is it that you're new here and they limit them?

·
Registered
2019 EX
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What bugs me the most is the sales manager stood there and told me that having half a gallon of gas in my oil pan is normal and won't hurt the engine.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
That would bug the he!! out of me too.
I thought they were better than that. Have bought cars from them before. Neighbor just bought a 2018 EX from them, fourth new car they've purchased from them too.
I'd read up on all the oil dilution threads on the forum then go at them at the dealer to get it fixed. They should at least be changing your oil for free, IMO.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
A certified car should have a certified warranty plus the factory warranty (and you should also have lemon law protection). But give the dealer a chance. Take the car down there, straight to the salesman who sold it to you, and tell him what's going on. Be nice. Don't forget to mention the owner's manual. He can get you one. He should send you over to the service bay to get it checked out. I doubt they sold you the car knowing it had an issue. They should check it out for you at no charge, and I would absolutely not agree to pay a dime. Most likely they will take good care of you - you are, after all, a paying customer, and they want you to be happy with your purchase. Go now. Don't wait. Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
2019 EX
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Turns out the car had also been in an accident so I called a lawyer. He said I had a good case but to try to make a deal with the dealership. So rather than continuing to drive this turd for any longer I took a $2,700.00 loss and sold them back the car. I will probably be buying a Mazda CX-5. So I don't qualify for membership in the crvownersclub any longer. It's too bad because the CRV has the potential to be a very nice vehicle.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Sorry to hear about this Brian.
Seems this dealer has a problem with certifying cars. Our daughter bought a Civic from them as a CPO car. When she traded it in on a new Accord the dealer (a different one) said they couldn't even put it on their lot and would have to wholesale it. Lucky for us the deal had already been signed on the Accord so no harm no foul for our daughter. The Civic had damage that would have precluded it from being sold as Certified it turns out.

·
Registered
2019 EX
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tried a few other cars but none compared to the CRV. So I went out and bought a new EX. I'm done with the whole CPO thing, and I'm never going back to Norm Reeves in Huntington Beach (at least not without a jar of vasoline). I got a new 19 for $25,27?.00 MSRP WAS $28,5??.00, the difference is just about what I lost on the CPO 17 deal. Thanks John Flick at Costa Mesa Auto Nation. He understands his job is to sell cars not to screw people. Does anybody know in what trim level does the steering wheel volume control have the ridges that allow you to slide your thumb up and down to raise or lower the volume?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
That dealer really should be reported to Honda. To sell damaged cars and pass them off as "certified" is dishonest, and dilutes the value of the CPO program. At the very least, leave poor reviews for them everywhere so others are warned.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts