Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Everything in Moderation
8,174 Posts
Assuming that the brake pads are OK, perhaps there is something caught in the metal backing plates near the brake rotors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Yes, brakes were recently checked. Could it be a wheel bearing or differential fluid? The sound is a scraping / grinding only on right turns.
I appreciate your input.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,174 Posts
Diff fluid sounds like a ‘moan’ at parking lot speeds and will occur in either direction. Louder when cold.

Wheel bearings hum at about 40 mph.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, thanks for the update. My differential fluid was changed in Sept 2018, so I think I can rule this out. Perhaps it's a brake cover scraping against the rotor? Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I found rust build up on the backing plate behind the rear brake rotor. I removed the rotor and ground down those high spots. Problem solved.

On certain models with rear disc brakes, a grinding noise can also be caused by corrosion between the rear brake caliper bracket and the brake pad retainers. Cleaning and lubricating the caliper bracket and pad retainers should correct this concern.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I had the front disc brake shield rust away completely on the kiddo's 2002 Accord. She stopped in when it was rattling a bit and it had fallen off and was just rattling around inside the wheel! I know when they get older, rust can get to them and they might rub against the brake rotor as they weaken--they will bend easily.

@VehicleNanny Hey, another SW Mich. local! ?? Small world. I grew up about a mile and a half away from the GM Tech Center, and a few classmates went to GMI. I've got a thing for sub-$10k hoopties myself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts