Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 2012 CRV torn apart front end .... taken to one Honda dealer service and and 2 independent service centers ... car works fine and no other issues except when reversing ... worse when turning the wheel ... straight back up minor squeak ... all service centers agree there is a loud screeching but are unable to pinpoint the problem ... any others with this issue and what did you do to resolve it?

·
2,811 Posts
Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you have a sticking brake caliper. These cars are notorious for this due to the design of the locating pins, which need fairly frequent lubrication. Solution is to remove, clean, and lube pins, then reassemble. Normally that should solve it, unless there are further brake issues. Check all four calipers, as the sound can telegraph and be quite deceptive as to where it is coming from. Also, if one needs the service, it's likely they all do. I've seen where some brake shops don't lube when servicing the brakes, but they do require it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much ... this issue did begin after I had brake work done .... I will bring it in for service and discuss your recommendation. Once this virus situation settles out, I will work on it .... I assume it is not a serious issue and can wait until I get to it??

·
2,811 Posts
You can keep an eye on it by checking after trips to see if any brakes are excessively hot. Be careful not to burn yourself in the process. As long as the culprit caliper does not get stuck and overheat it should be okay till you can get to it, but in an extreme case it can catch on fire, so do watch it. You should be able to feel a hot one by just putting your hand close to the wheel.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
It could also be a real simple matter of the steel dust shield making contact with the disk. Or maybe a rock is stuck in between it and the disk, but that would make noise all the time.

Around the disk, on the inside edge, you will find that shield.

Easy for you to check, jack up the offending corner, take the wheel off and have a look behind the brake disk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts