Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I dont know if this is posted before or where to so please forgive me.
My shifter button popped off like everyone else. Few months ago, had it held on with a rubber band in meantime. After this weekend however here in NY when it hit 7 degrees F outside this weekend, on Monday I could not remote start the car. I turn it on by push button start and when I turn it off the audio screen stays on with shifter in park and engine off. The push engine start button blinks and you hear a beep.

Didnt want it killing my battery so had to disconnect the battery. It was late night dark and cold so left it like that till next day. Reconnect it, start it, all the lights go on saying like brake system problem, acc, road mitigation, problem, everything etc. After some driving it goes away, but when I turn car back off the screen still stays on as if it's in accessory mode. I'm guessing it has to do with the button??? yet Honda service advisor says they don't think its related.

I tried to make the appt for the recall update fix and this button issue same time. I am out of warranty 40k miles,(I do uber for work so I put on lots of miles) and so they want to charge me 85 for the bottom, 135 to figure what electrical issue it is, on top of whatever repair is needed!!

This is a defect happening to everyone and I feel it's not right I have to pay after getting into 32 grand in debt for a brand new car for a defect happening to everyone.

Idk what else to do. I need my car everyday for work, I do uber and I'm out of warranty, in crazy amount of debt with no money for extra fixes on top of all this.

Any suggestions what it might be? Has this happened to you? How of what was fixed and how much?

Please no trolls or harsh judgments I am in a dire situation right now and come here for help. Thank you!

Oh and the appt isn't until next week Tuesday so I'm going to have to disconnect my car battery every night when I come home!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
416 Posts
My shifter button popped off like everyone else. Few months ago, had it held on with a rubber band in meantime. After this weekend however here in NY when it hit 7 degrees F outside this weekend, on Monday I could not remote start the car. I turn it on by push button start and when I turn it off the audio screen stays on with shifter in park and engine off. The push engine start button blinks and you hear a beep.

Didnt want it killing my battery so had to disconnect the battery. It was late night dark and cold so left it like that till next day. Reconnect it, start it, all the lights go on saying like brake system problem, acc, road mitigation, problem, everything etc. After some driving it goes away, but when I turn car back off the screen still stays on as if it's in accessory mode. I'm guessing it has to do with the button??? yet Honda service advisor says they don't think its related.

I tried to make the appt for the recall update fix and this button issue same time. I am out of warranty 40k miles,(I do uber for work so I put on lots of miles) and so they want to charge me 85 for the bottom, 135 to figure what electrical issue it is, on top of whatever repair is needed!!

This is a defect happening to everyone and I feel it's not right I have to pay after getting into 32 grand in debt for a brand new car for a defect happening to everyone.

Idk what else to do. I need my car everyday for work, I do uber and I'm out of warranty, in crazy amount of debt with no money for extra fixes on top of all this.

Any suggestions what it might be? Has this happened to you? How of what was fixed and how much?

Please no trolls or harsh judgments I am in a dire situation right now and come here for help. Thank you!

Oh and the appt isn't until next week Tuesday so I'm going to have to disconnect my car battery every night when I come home!!!

Good news - you do NOT have an electrical problem. When the shifter button is held pressed in (in your case with a rubber band), it makes contact with a switch. When you shift to Park, the logic does not see the shifter as being in Park UNTIL THE BUTTON IS RELEASED. It still sees the shifter as being in Drive (or any other position except Park). When you shut off the ignition in any position except Park, the logic is programmed to switch power to accessory mode.

To resolve this until you get the button fixed, shift to Park and then release the rubber band's pressure on the button. Then shut the ignition off. Once the power is off you can reapply the rubber band. Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good news - you do NOT have an electrical problem. When the shifter button is held pressed in (in your case with a rubber band), it makes contact with a switch. When you shift to Park, the logic does not see the shifter as being in Park UNTIL THE BUTTON IS RELEASED. It still sees the shifter as being in Drive (or any other position except Park). When you shut off the ignition in any position except Park, the logic is programmed to switch power to accessory mode.

To resolve this until you get the button fixed, shift to Park and then release the rubber band's pressure on the button. Then shut the ignition off. Once the power is off you can reapply the rubber band. Good luck.
Yea the problem is I tried that also. With the rubber band off and button release no matter which way I try still screen stays on. And if the car thinks it's not in park how come it turns off? The engine and everything else turns off the displays says P for park. It gets stuck in like accessory mode..

·
Registered
444 Posts

I believe I have read the button is very cheap and an easy do it yourself fix. Cant believe you drove around so long with it like that. I also think if you complained to Honda they would have fixed it under warranty at the beginning.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe I have read the button is very cheap and an easy do it yourself fix. Cant believe you drove around so long with it like that. I also think if you complained to Honda they would have fixed it under warranty at the beginning.
I think I was already out of warranty when it broke off. Yea, supposedly Honda made a contract with a supplier using a cheap plastic probably Chinese. I complain the dealer but all they car about is money and want to charge me for everything. Not sure if it's an easy DIY fix. Just the button itself, sure. But I dont know if theres something electronic that's off or a piece of plastic lodged in there because the screen wont turn off with the car off and my remote wont work. After disconnecting the battery and reconnecting the remote works for the doors but wont remote start the car...

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yea the problem is I tried that also. With the rubber band off and button release no matter which way I try still screen stays on. And if the car thinks it's not in park how come it turns off? The engine and everything else turns off the displays says P for park. It gets stuck in like accessory mode..

If the screen stays on with the button released, then a piece of plastic must be jammed inside the shifter pressing on the switch.
As explained, if the ignition logic sees the shifter button as still being pressed in, it will switch power to accessory mode when the ignition button is pressed. That why the engine shuts off. It doesn't matter that the display says P, the logic is looking at what's happening with the shifter button and the switch behind it.

Once the shifter button is repaired the problems should go away.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the screen stays on with the button released, then a piece of plastic must be jammed inside the shifter pressing on the switch.
As explained, if the ignition logic sees the shifter button as still being pressed in, it will switch power to accessory mode when the ignition button is pressed. That why the engine shuts off. It doesn't matter that the display says P, the logic is looking at what's happening with the shifter button and the switch behind it.

Once the shifter button is repaired the problems should go away.
Thanks for replying. Ah, makes sense. I hope it's just that. Not sure if I'm able to fix myself but I'm thinking of attempting it and if successful it will only cost me $15 as opposed to 85 and everything else Honda wants to charge me for.

One thing though how does that prevent the car from remote starting even when the screen is off after disconnecting /reconnecting the battery? Wont remote start but will open lock doors yet when screen is on engine off the doors wont even lock either strange.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Thanks for replying. Ah, makes sense. I hope it's just that. Not sure if I'm able to fix myself but I'm thinking of attempting it and if successful it will only cost me $15 as opposed to 85 and everything else Honda wants to charge me for.

One thing though how does that prevent the car from remote starting even when the screen is off after disconnecting /reconnecting the battery? Wont remote start but will open lock doors yet when screen is on engine off the doors wont even lock either strange.

I bet there is a u-tube video on how to replace the button......

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bet there is a u-tube video on how to replace the button......
I checked mostly videos for other older hondas with the same problem not sure if mine also has 2 screws attached or where they are or how to uncover them .. I'm looking now and cant see a way to take it apart yet

·
Super Moderator
3,272 Posts
Since Honda knows about the button problem, test drive your Honda dealer for a freebie fix.
Nothing ventured nothing gained.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Not sure if I'm able to fix myself but I'm thinking of attempting it and if successful it will only cost me $15 as opposed to 85 and everything else Honda wants to charge me for.

There are some instructions here which may be of help:
https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/137-2017-present-official-specs-features-etc-gen-5/175490-help-2017-crv-shift-knob-removal-2.html

Also when you disconnect the battery you have to drive for a few miles for the system to reset; may explain the remote start not working.

·
Registered
416 Posts

The Owners Manual notes that Remote Start only works when in Park.
Also noted: "You can lock or unlock doors using the smart entry system only when the power mode is in VEHICLE OFF". If you're in Accessory mode the doors won't lock. There's a lot of logic tied to that switch in the shift lever.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Owners Manual notes that Remote Start only works when in Park.
Also noted: "You can lock or unlock doors using the smart entry system only when the power mode is in VEHICLE OFF". If you're in Accessory mode the doors won't lock. There's a lot of logic tied to that switch in the shift lever.
Thank you so much guys for your help. I finally figured it out! I was able to pry off the shift knob held on by 2 screws. I took it apart and the button was actually in 3 big pieces with little pieces lodged in there. I slid off the knob, put it in park, shut off the engine, and lo and behold, everything turns off!!! And the doors lock and the remote start works again!!!

You were right Marty! Wow, so much logic so many things and problems arise from just one simple little button!!! Looks like the pieces did not let the wedge shaped button inside the metal rod to disengage so even though engine shuts off and transmission says P/park, it stayed stuck in accessory mode. Once the knob is off everything is back to normal. Thank God is was only that and nothing big.

The button is such cheap plastic is almost soft plastic, it broke off into more pieces just trying to pry it out!

I will be buying a new button and fixing it myself. I hope they have the new recall buttons in stock already.

Thanks again guys for your help!

·
Super Moderator
3,272 Posts
Ok so now ask the dealer for a free replacement....just take the bits in to them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok so now ask the dealer for a free replacement....just take the bits in to them.
Did that and tried but they said no. Since I'm out of warranty. Even brought the broken pieces , shifter and all. It was only $17 plus I got the grease for free. Rather pay that and fix it myself instead if paying them $80 just to put a new button in.

And it wasnt even a new button, it's the same old one. So I made sure I greased that bad boy up good. Honda should be releasing them soon. The guy at parts said they'll be replacing the as they get them in.

So for $60 while i was there, fixed my own shift knob and replaced air cabin and intake filters myself lol

And to think they wanted to charge me 135 for a diagnostic fee plus whatever "electrical" repair... thank God for the internet and YouTube lol

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
My dealership charged Honda $99 for the shift button replacement.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts