Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 CR-V LX. I need to replace the passenger seat airbag. It's a module that fits in the side of the backrest of the seat and is color-matched with the interior/seat color. I'm having a hard time finding a junkyard CR-V that has that particular color I need. I need the "ivory" color (a light beige) but can only find "graphite black". My question is: Can I use the black module which fits inside the seat and reuse the ivory cover which is what would be visible? The cover would have to be secured to the module in such a way as to give way if the airbag gets deployed in an accident. I'm thinking I can use some kind of glue, but I'd like recommendations on what kind of glue to use and how much to use. I don't want to use so much that it impedes the deployment of the airbag, but don't want to use an insufficient amount that would cause the cover to not stay secured.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What is wrong with airbag!? Unless deployed they never usually need replaced.
It was deployed. The seat airbag has a plastic cover. When the airbag deploys, it cracks open the seam that goes around the side facing circumference of the cover, splitting it open, which then opens up the space for the airbag to inflate at the passenger's elbow/hip area. What I want to do is cut off/remove the cover from the replacement airbag and use the original cover (which is the correct color) and glue it in place on the replacement airbag module. Since this is unorthodox, I'd like to make sure I don't glue it so strongly that the airbag wouldn't deploy correctly. I guess I can try to use a weak glue in just a few dots around the circumference of the back side (inward seat facing side) to just barely hold it in place. Just not sure what kind of glue would be appropriate. Plain ol' white glue?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,451 Posts
Why couldn't you just paint the junkyard module's cover that you get?

I doubt if a coat of paint would reduce the airbag's deployment effectiveness. :rolleyes:
And once installed, it shouldn't be subject to wear (unless you are careless with the seatbelt buckle).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Why couldn't you just paint the junkyard module's cover that you get?

I doubt if a coat of paint would reduce the airbag's deployment effectiveness. :rolleyes:
And once installed, it shouldn't be subject to wear (unless you are careless with the seatbelt buckle).
It's a textured, but still rather smooth plastic. In my experience paints don't stick well to something like that, plus I'm unaware of an exact color-matched paint for interior trim that comes in a spray can that also adheres well to plastic without eventually flaking or scratching off.

A coat of paint still wouldn't secure the cover onto the module. It would need to be glued or secured in some way to the module. I think it best to provide a photo (which perhaps I should have done in the first post). Here it is:

Before deployment, the cover is physically part of the module casing that is inside the seat. It has thin seams on three sides which are designed to be broken by the impact of the deploying airbag. The side on the left of the picture (towards the rear of the car) stays intact and acts like a hinge so the cover opens like a door when the seams on the three sides split open to allow the bag to deploy.

You can see here in the first photo below that I put yellow arrows pointing to parts of the seam where the plastic cover was originally a monolithic piece with the module casing. In the second photo below you can see the seam in the middle of the photo going from top to bottom. It's these seams that tear open when the bag is deployed, "opening" the door for the bag to exit:

·
Registered
587 Posts
With the force they go off with not much will be able to stop that.
Don't think may if any salvage yards sell air bags any longer. Maybe liability?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With the force they go off with not much will be able to stop that.
Yeah, I was wondering about that. You're probably right. Unless someone has an idea of what would be a good glue to use, or some other type of thing with which to secure it, I'll try to use a weak-strength glue and use just enough to keep the cover on.

Don't think may if any salvage yards sell air bags any longer. Maybe liability?
Yes, the self-service and also full-service salvage yards here in Texas sell airbags. I just bought the CR-V side curtain aribag for $27. Nothing wrong with it. The only thing they don't sell is catalytic converters, which are cut off of the cars before they even put the car out on the self-service yard. Everything else is fair game.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just found the airbag in the right color online for $45 with free shipping. With the entrance fee and gas to get to the junkyard, it would cost me about $36, plus almost two hours roundtrip driving, so an extra $9 isn't bad. The local junkyard much closer to my home would be the same $45, but in the wrong color, so I'm satisfied.

Thanks to Theman5 and Carbuff2 for trying to help!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't forget any discounts or ebates that might be available too!!

Rakuten (formally ebates) LINK
Interesting, I will check it out. I searched for rebates for the online junkyard from which I ordered, but couldn't find one. Since the closest junkyard to me was also $45 (and it was the wrong color and it was 40 minutes each way) I went with the online purchase and don't have to go anywhere.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I cancelled the airbag order. The website didn't explain that this was for local pickup in NJ. I called them and they acknowledged that their website needs to be changed because other customers had the same problem I did. They wanted $100 to ship because it's HazMat and they have to use a special reinforced box, etc. They already refunded my money, so all is fine except I still don't have an airbag and I'm back to the drawing board.

For some reason I can find a black airbag but not an ivory one, so I'm considering getting a black one from the junkyard and cutting the cover off and gluing the "ivory" colored cover on as minimally as possible. Any reason why this wouldn't work?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Would think marking box ORMD would suffice as it doesn’t seem to be a hazmat item. IE: gun powder vs Ammo. Powder is considered hazmat , but ammo is not. Just mark the box as ORMD which is required for stuff like paint and things.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Would think marking box ORMD would suffice as it doesn’t seem to be a hazmat item. IE: gun powder vs Ammo. Powder is considered hazmat , but ammo is not. Just mark the box as ORMD which is required for stuff like paint and things.
That would be fine if I was mailing it, but this is a company that would be mailing it to me and they don't want to be liable if the airbag deployed during shipping for whatever bizarre reason, so they only want to ship it the "official", "safe" way, with a special box and handling, so they want $100 for that, so it's a "no go" for me.

And you're right about the ORM-D shipping, but this company just won't do anything like that (or they just want a lot of money to ship it that way). Here is info on how to ship an airbag: How Do I Ship a Car Air Bag?

Ivory paint available?
you have seat covers ? They should cover the airbag area so color not seen anyway.
I don't know if that exact color is available and I doubt it would look right and even if it did, it would start to peel off or scratch/rub off after a while. No, there aren't any seat covers on these seats and I think seat covers are not supposed to cover airbags anyway.

What I really need some confirmation on is if it sounds doable to just cut the black cover off a replacement airbag and lightly glue the original cover onto the replacement module in such a way as not to prevent the cover from splitting open at the sides if the airbag was deployed. Does it make sense that some kind of low-strength glue applied just barely enough to secure the cover on would do the trick? Or is it crazy/hazardous to do that and should I keep searching for the airbag and hope somebody online will just ship it with standard shipping to me?

·
Registered
587 Posts
I think it is doable. Seat covers marked for airbags are made for that application. Most front seat covers should be air bag compatible and labeled as such. There would be a right and left side, instead of fits either side

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think it is doable. Seat covers marked for airbags are made for that application. Most front seat covers should be air bag compatible and labeled as such. There would be a right and left side, instead of fits either side
Doable meaning using a bit of low-strength glue? I don't want to do seat covers.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I really don’t think you could stop the deployment of the bag no matter what glue you used

Ah, gotcha, that airbag would deploy with so much force that it's probably not an issue.

If anyone knows of availability of an ivory passenger seat airbag part #06783-S9A-A90ZB for the 2005-2006 CR-V, do let me know (thanks!).

1 - 20 of 66 Posts