Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
LKQ is really expensive because they'd have to transfer the whole seat to a location close to me and they want a lot of money to do that. I offered to go pick it up at their Houston, TX llocation which is about 2 or 2 1/2 hours from me, but they don't allow pickup. I'll keep looking or if I have to. I'll find a black one and glue in the ivory beige cover I have.

·
Registered
590 Posts
well bummer. Guess they don't want to sell it.

Wouldn't you be picking it up at the location near you? What about a location near the Houston one?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
well bummer. Guess they don't want to sell it.

Wouldn't you be picking it up at the location near you? What about a location near the Houston one?
The location near me is very close, but they would have to transfer it from their Houston location and they want to charge big bucks for that. They won't let me go to Houston to pick it up either.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So any cheaper to transfer to a location near Houston to pickup there?
I'll inquire, but I think just the act of transfering it (the whole seat) is what costs so much, not necessarily the distance. Some junkyards (especially the kind that are not self-service) don't want to sell just the airbag or any other part of the seat by itself. They want to sell the entire seat assembly.

Your seats leather or cloth ?
Cloth "Ivory" beige interior. Only had that color on the 2005 and 2006.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I'll inquire, but I think just the act of transfering it (the whole seat) is what costs so much, not necessarily the distance. Some junkyards (especially the kind that are not self-service) don't want to sell just the airbag or any other part of the seat by itself. They want to sell the entire seat assembly.

Cloth "Ivory" beige interior. Only had that color on the 2005 and 2006.
I can check LKQ in my area to see what the deal is. Shipping the seat not an option, but I could remove bad and ship it I would think legally.. Not sure if it would be cost effective though. You have access to a black one still ?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
You have access to a black one still ?
The black one is at a junk yard in Austin, about an hour from here. I removed it just for practice to see how to do it and left it on the seat of that car in the junkyard. It's probably still there, but the question is if it got wet because we've had very heavy rain the other day and if the door was left open, which often happens at junkyards, it may have gotten wet or could be somebody moved the airbag out of the way and put it who knows where. Perhaps I should have purchased it (less than $30) at that time, but I was hoping to get the correct color.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
I found a whole seat an hour away from me using car-part.com. I realized that most places won't want to sell the airbag by itself, and buying the whole seat is the thing to do if you can't find one at a self-pick yard. The photo of it on the website was a perfectly clean seat for which they wanted 65$. When I got there and they pulled it and brought it to me, I saw that it was filthy and missing the cover for the seat belt. I complained to them about it and they lowered the price to $46! Airbag is not deployed and intact, so this will work and I won't have to perform reconstructive surgery on a black airbag module. Some photos of the filthy seat (the other angle, which you can't see is also filthy) and a close up of the airbag module:

·
Registered
590 Posts
That is great! All good thing come to those who wait!!
Does it have the SRS sensors in the seat. I have an airbag light on and think it was passenger sense.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
That is great! All good thing come to those who wait!!
Does it have the SRS sensors in the seat. I have an airbag light on and think it was passenger sense.
Sorry, was busy yesterday removing and installing the seat airbag (and yard stuff) and I don't normally do car stuff on Sundays. Yes, there is a sensor. Where it is depends on the year. One 2005 CR-V I saw at the junkyard that had the black airbag module had a sensor (or whatever it was) inside the bottom center of the seatback. Out of curiosity, I tried to remove it and wound up cutting myself and having to go to urgent care (that's a whole other saga). Anyway, on this 2006, there was no such device at that location, rather there was a Takata device (black, rectangular shaped box) under the front bottom of the seat, close to where the wires connect. I assume this is the sensor? Dunno. Not sure why the 2005 had something at the bottom center of the seatback and the 2006 didn't.

If your CR-V has the device at the bottom center of the seatback, be very careful with the sheet metal cover. If you pull on it to yank it off, it could cut you severely, which is what happened to me a few weeks ago. The sheet metal cover has metal clips or prongs that hook onto it on the side facing the inside of the seat. Use a screwdriver to pry it off instead of pulling on it.

Some photos of replacing this seat airbag module:

To remove the airbag, you have to partially remove the cloth fabric at the back of the seat. This view is from the back seat. There's a 10 mm nut that secures the airbag to the seat. You gain access to it from here. It's already removed here, but it's located just between the foam rubber and the seatback cushion/springs. A 10 mm deep socket worked best. Then you pull the top of the module out (pivoting) then pull the moudle up and out.

This first photo below is from the passenger seat footwell area. That yellow corrugated cable is what connects to the airbag module. You can't see the connectors in the photo, but there are three connectors under the center of the seat cushion front foot area. The connector closest to the door of the three is the connector for the airbag. You have to slide a spring-loaded piece and then pull the connector out of its socket. The yellow cable is zip tied in a couple of spots as you can see here, so you have to cut those ties off and replace them after you get the new cable inserted. It goes from the back of the seat through a fabric channel and to the front. Takes a while to fish the old one out and lead the new one through. The black Takata box device is there, but you can't see it in the photo. Second photo below is after installing the replacement airbag module in the seat:

Took the airbag apart and cut open the bag to see what it looks like inside. You can see the cylinder, which is the inflator (Honda calls it the "hybrid gas generator"):

·
Registered
590 Posts
Oh wow , must have been a severe cut!!

I will read the srs codes again and take some pictures on this 2005 passenger seat. The wiring under there is a mess possibly from the previous owner.
I was thinking it was some sort of weight detector so a min weight required to arm the circuit. Don’t want bags going off unnecessarily if no one in the seat.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Oh wow , must have been a severe cut!!

I will read the srs codes again and take some pictures on this 2005 passenger seat. The wiring under there is a mess possibly from the previous owner.
I was thinking it was some sort of weight detector so a min weight required to arm the circuit. Don’t want bags going off unnecessarily if no one in the seat.
I think it is weight sensing.

·
2,811 Posts
Would think marking box ORMD would suffice as it doesn’t seem to be a hazmat item. IE: gun powder vs Ammo. Powder is considered hazmat , but ammo is not. Just mark the box as ORMD which is required for stuff like paint and things.
Ammunition absolutely is HAZMAT, Class 1 Explosives. Airbags are HAZMAT. Class 9. It is a serious federal offense to even attempt to sidestep regulations for any kind of shipping. If you value your freedom, don't do it, or ask someone on the other end to. You would still be in violation. Also, I would never buy a used one, if there was any chance of exposing a loved one to the inherent danger. Just pay the money and get a new one, and have a certified installer only put it in. One little mistake and you could blow your own face off. This is not a joke.

·
Registered
590 Posts
As mentioned ship it 'legally'!! I would not as you are possibly implying ship it illegally. Ammo maybe 'hazmat', but can easily be shipped legally like spray cans.
He found one local to him so this is a non issue.

·
2,811 Posts
Got it! Just checking. We don't want nobody thinkin' we recommend any type o' circumvention, eh? He is still illegally installing it himself, but that there is his very own lookout.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Got it! Just checking. We don't want nobody thinkin' we recommend any type o' circumvention, eh? He is still illegally installing it himself, but that there is his very own lookout.
Nope, and in my later years of life I don't need any problems either. (y)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
I've done some asking around and as far as I can tell it is not illegal in Texas for a car owner to DIY his own airbag repair.

Additionally, although it is no longer relevant now since I wound up not needing shipping, and in case anyone missed it from post #15, here below is a link about how to ship airbags:

21 - 40 of 66 Posts