Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to replace our 1st gen CRV with a 2nd gen one. When we go on holiday we use a roof box on some generic cross bars bolted to the factory rails.

The 2nd gen doesn't appear to have rails in the conventional sense but has two raised ribs instead. Neither ebay nor amazon seem to offer anything to use with these so it looks like I'll be buying some aftermarket roof bars.

What are your experiences, good or bad, and what are my options?

·
Registered
1 Posts
DIY, save some cash!

I am about to replace our 1st gen CRV with a 2nd gen one. When we go on holiday we use a roof box on some generic cross bars bolted to the factory rails.

The 2nd gen doesn't appear to have rails in the conventional sense but has two raised ribs instead. Neither ebay nor amazon seem to offer anything to use with these so it looks like I'll be buying some aftermarket roof bars.

What are your experiences, good or bad, and what are my options?
There's a plastic plate on both top rails (the raised ribs) that have screws underneath to attach cross bars. There's genuine honda parts (08L02-S9A-102) that are upwards of $200-$300, but I just actually built one using 42" crossbars I pulled off a different car at a junkyard and some weather treated 2x4s.

If you're handy I'd recommend building them. There's a video on youtube if you just search "build your own honda crv roof racks" that can show you how to do it. The video has an element in it, but it fits the same.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts