Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Not going to mention names but it seems that even the well trained dealer service techs make mistakes. But my beef is they overfilled the engine on the last two oil changes. Things happen, but they did it twice in a row. I guess the tech thought he was servicing the 6 qt. Ridgeline and not my 3.7 qt. CR-V But my dumb A didn't check the oil until it was two months old. But the dealer took care of it pronto by doing a R&R. Well, I got new oil again.:) I'm curious anyone else has had this issue.

Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
Nah never happened to me.
make sure all their f ups are documented to use as leverage when u need out of warranty service

Registered
Not going to mention names but it seems that even the well trained dealer service techs make mistakes. But my beef is they overfilled the engine on the last two oil changes. Things happen, but they did it twice in a row. I guess the tech thought he was servicing the 6 qt. Ridgeline and not my 3.7 qt. CR-V But my dumb A didn't check the oil until it was two months old. But the dealer took care of it pronto by doing a R&R. Well, I got new oil again.:) I'm curious anyone else has had this issue.
Happens all the time.

Registered
My dealer always put oil a little bit above the upper mark so I always request to put oil a little bit below the upper mark

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
well since people griped about gas in the oil why not put more oil i

Registered
tell the service guy to put "do not overfill" in the paperwork for the technician to see... it works for me.

Registered
There is another thread discussing this.

Three times on my Subaru at the dealership, they drained oil out each time. My wife took it in and said don鈥檛 overfill it, they said not to worry, that never happens.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
tell the service guy to put "do not overfill" in the paperwork for the technician to see... it works for me.
Ins't is funny how terminologies have changed over the years. Auto mechanics today are called technicians. Back in the days of carburetors and mechanical fuel pumps I was a mechanic and I was considered a grease monkey. Had I known I could have evolved into a technician I would have stuck with it. :)

Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
so now you simply say show me before you pay.

Reactions: ondarvr

Registered
so now you simply say show me before you pay.
That only works if you're paying for it in the first place.

My issue was with a free oil change that was part of the TSB service.

I checked the oil in their parking lot right after they gave me my "key" back. I then got the service manager and the "technician" to go out to look at it. They both just kind of starred at me weird until I finally gave up and left. They said I was checking it wrong and refused to drain out the extra. (They wanted me to run the engine for a little bit, shut it down, and then run around to check the oil as fast as I could before it had a chance to run back into the oil pan).

Eff the dealer. I don't go there anymore, unless it's just to steel a bunch of their cookies and expensive coffee and to take a crap in their toilet.

Registered
I did exactly that the last time. When I got it back, the tech had wrote on the work order, I didn't overfill it. Guess what, he did. Two oil changes two overfills...I thinks the techs are given the wrong info at times, who knows.

Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
I did exactly that the last time. When I got it back, the tech had wrote on the work order, I didn't overfill it. Guess what, he did. Two oil changes two overfills...I thinks the techs are given the wrong info at times, who knows.
Since they claim to use automated dispensing now days (which should serve to prevent mistakes like this) ... Honda could solve this problem by simply forcing said equipment to require the VIN off the vehicle before it would automatically dispense the oil. Virtually everything else at the dealerships is VIN driven these days, so this should not be difficult.

The core issue here I believe is CRVs classically are 2.4 engines, with a larger oil requirement vs the new 1.5Ts and until 2020.. current generation CRVs can be either 2.4 or 1.5T in the US.

So if the service techs brain is on autopilot... I can see them selection the wrong dispensing choice.

OR, Honda could make bigger oil pans so the requirement is the same, but I'm going to guess this is yet another opportunity to reduce the amount of oil needing recycling processing.

Registered
Find a new dealership or an independent shop that you trust. If they cannot do a proper oil change they do not need to do anything more complicated on your car!!!

Registered
I have a 2012 CRV EXL AWD purchased new. 70,000 miles on. I changed the oil all but the last two times. I carefully added 4qts. 8 ounces with the filter as per the manual and it was at the top hole on the dip stick. Being older now I took in to the dealer and they just pour 5qts. in ...to save time, I imagine. In researching 'too much oil' I always learned that too much can stress the engine seals in time and cause problems. Other comments say my engine is not affected by an overfill of 24 ounces. I change oil 7000-7500 miles and it would burn off the 24 extra ounces in that driving mileage. So I am not going to worry re it...but if I was still changing my oil I would put the exact amount in.

Registered
I'm not a Honda tech nor have I owned a CR-V for very long but.....I've read more "they overfilled my oil" threads/posts than I can count. Is it possible that Honda has an incorrect dipstick in the motor instead of the oil being overfilled? (I checked mine yesterday to get ready for a long-ish trip and it looked overfilled.) I used to own quite a few Pontiac Fieros (a total of 6 + I've been on the largest Fiero forum for the past 20 years) and GM used the wrong dipstick in a few hundred of the original '84s so I know OEMs have made that mistake before. What if NONE of the 5th gen CR-Vs were overfilled w/oil? Just a thought.

Registered
It may not be the techs over-filling it, but, more likely, fuel in the oil. 2017-2019 CR-Vs leak fuel into the oil, which would look like it has been overfilled.

Registered
My first oil change (June 18) they wrote they put in 4 quarts (should be 3.7 - 1.5T Touring 2018). Oil is up to the top of the orange plastic bit, was there when I first checked, and is still there. Car seems to run fine.

Registered
The logic was that too much oil would cause foaming of the oil when the car is running. Oil foam (in the areas that it does foam) is a combination of oil & air. Air is not a lubricant. I have not tested this theory, or the one about blowing out (or distorting) seals. The wrong dipstick can also give a false indication of the amount in the oil pan. My 2011 CRV initially only required 4 plus qt.s when new, now it is up to 5 qt.s when i change the oil. I go by the dipstick, but the argument to use the specs may be valid as well.

Registered
I'm not a Honda tech nor have I owned a CR-V for very long but.....I've read more "they overfilled my oil" threads/posts than I can count. Is it possible that Honda has an incorrect dipstick in the motor instead of the oil being overfilled?
No, the quicky lube places get it right, and my experiences have been over several car brands and only the dealers overfill them.

The quicky lube places probably look up the exact amount and check it. The dealer oil change guy is on auto pilot and just assumes he knows because the last 5 cars called for xx amount yours should too.

And when I change the oil it comes out right.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts