Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Security devices on 2008 CR-V

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  illegal 
#1 ·
Hello folks,

I'm a CR-V owner since last weekend! Got an '08 EX-L w/navi, taffeta white.
My daughter named it "Latte". So far, it's all good!! Here's my question....
I understand that the car key has an engine immobilizer, but when I purchased the vehicle, dealer offered added "Kill switch" security option. The price was $495 but I realize that's negotiable. Would anyone be able to tell me:
What kind of Kill switches are sold by the Honda dealers?
Is it worth getting, or do any theives worth their salt here in the LA area know how to get around the dealership-installed switches?
What is a reasonable price to pay for the kill switch option?
Any other advice on the above?

Appreciate you all!

:eek:

#2 ·
Welcome to the CRVOC Leaftrinkets.

Honda doesn't sell a "kill switch"...ask your dealer what brand it is. It definately won't be Honda. This sounds like just another add-on by the dealer designed to suck the money out of your pockets.

Honda offers Alarms for models that don't have them factory installed.....but not "kill switches".

#3 ·
CRV Security

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, it is definitly an "add on" that the dealership wants to sell, along with lo-jack, extended warranty and all their other profitable add ons. But, I was wondering if a kill switch was worth considering, or if the immobilizer key that the car was equipped with was adequate. I haven't bought a new car in 12 years, and I am just a little nervous that so many of these are being sold that they might be attractive to thieves! I want to do what makes sense without getting paranoid about it.

#5 ·
Insurance Break

When I bought my 07 V, my insurance company give me a price break on the rates when I proved the car had an immobilizer key (by copying and sending revelant pages from the owners manual--which I thought was rather an archaic method). The security system on the EX did not qualify me for any additional break.

So going by that there must be some value in the immobilizer key.

#6 ·
The key is good, they were also prob refering to an ignition bypass, for instance you would have to push in the rear defrost button before the car starts, or the cruise control button, ect. Of they pay an outsorce installer that comes to the dealer as needed to instal and actual aftermarket ststem or alsm. There are so many options. At Best buy $500 will get you an auto start, alarm, keyless, starter kill, doorlocks and a 1 mile transfer radius with a 2 way paging system. Much more than the dealer is offering.

#7 ·
Its a fuel cutoff switch usually attached to an aftermarket alarm system my mom got one on her car to save money on insurance it sucks, the thing locks you out when you close the door even with the engine running. Basically you unlock the door if you are in the car with the doors locked and you try to start the car nothing happens, avoid this the honda system is fine plus aftermarket alarms are noise makers and lockout machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.