Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

One of my rear caliper seized even though I clean and re-lube the brakes every year.
I was able to push back the caliper's cylinder with big pliers.. worked fine for the last two weeks, but yesterday it jammed again.

How can I fix this?
Do I need to change the caliper? both rears?
Am I the only one with this issue?

**Edit: pads moves freely, caliper pins are lubed and do their job. Only problem I can notice is the cylinder not moving back.

That's my heated up wheel after I put some snow on it.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
503 Posts
Not saying it is a good idea, but I haven't touched the brakes since new. Never had brakes seized ever in our last 4 hondas. 2 civics and 2 CRVs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not saying it is a good idea, but I haven't touched the brakes since new. Never had brakes seized ever in our last 4 hondas. 2 civics and 2 CRVs.
Really? Where are you in Canada?
Quebec is tough on brakes let me tell you.

·
Premium Member
6,182 Posts
how I did a calipar

Reactions: EK2K

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,792 Posts
I'd suggest replacing the caliper on that side. Might have one 'sticky spot'. BTDT

Many folks will recommend replacing both calipers on an axle to maintain braking consistency. The last time I bought rebuilt calipers, they were cheap enough to make this practice a 'no brainer'.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
503 Posts
Really? Where are you in Canada?
Quebec is tough on brakes let me tell you.
In Alberta. Our humidity is bone dry, that may contribute some what?!?..We have to use humidifiers in winter.

Reactions: EK2K

·
Premium Member
6,182 Posts
Rockauto.com bought the calipar, hardest part doing it, ask me I'll tell you.

·
Registered
2012 CRV EX-L
134 Posts
Same thing happened on my 2012 CRV, rear brake calipers seized up due to all the salt that is used on the roads. And the seized calipers isn't the only part that is subject to salt on the roads.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,792 Posts
rear brake calipers seized up due to all the salt that is used on the roads.
For decades, we have coated the caliper seal bellows with synthetic grease when changing pads, just to minimize this possibility. (Synthetic will not deteriorate the rubber)

Reactions: agentl074

·
Registered
274 Posts
I thought I was being proactive....rear caliper seizes Sept 2018. Did brake service June 2019 and July 2020. Same caliper seizes Dec 2020.. So much for doing brake service. Travelled 45000 kms during this period. All parts were Honda OE.

·
Premium Member
6,182 Posts
Age, rust, corrosion, never know when a calipar...

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
My wife's 2012 had a sticky caliper last year... replaced calipers and complete brake service -- clean and lube caliper slide pins, parking brake adjustment... been fine since. Do you change your brake fluid every 3 years? Make sure you do that as well -- and a parking brake adjustment check. Calipers do go bad....

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Just had RL caliper replaced today in my Toyota. Now both rear calipers replaced within past two years.

Not worth contemplating, brakes should always be in top notch condition. As agentl074 suggested - replace brake fluid regularly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For decades, we have coated the caliper seal bellows with synthetic grease when changing pads, just to minimize this possibility. (Synthetic will not deteriorate the rubber)
How do you proceed?
I'm guessing you make space with a flat screwdriver and inject some grease inside the seal?
Do you use some kind of syringe?
Any grease recommendation?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,792 Posts
We do not try to 'inject' grease inside the rubber seal (arrowed). That could 'break' the seal.
We just coat the rubber and the inner piston that you see. We also will smooth (carefully, with a file, before retracting the piston) any rust on the piston surface to ensure that it is applying force evenly.

Its all preventative. :cool: Our '06 V has original calipers from new, 190K miles/15 years.

(Obviously, I'm paid by the hour, LOL)

·
Premium Member
6,182 Posts
As much as I know good luck I don't get paid I get overlooked and the cost is priceless when the answers are right there

·
Registered
18 Posts
If a caliper hangs up once it's gone. For what rebuilt calipers cost there is no way I would leave a hung up caliper on the car even if I got it unstuck.why take a chance .99% of the time it will hang up again and you might get stuck far from home or far from any form of help with the wheel locked up .You could drive a car with a stuck caliper and then ruin the brake pads and the rotor maybe even a hub bearing which would now mean hundreds of dollars worth of damage over just a caliper at this point I also do not change both calipers just because one hung up .There will be no noticeable difference between the new caliper and the older caliper on the other side .Of course if you take it to a garage to get done they will probably talk you into both calipers and a new set of pads Still cheaper than getting stuck some where

·
Registered
2008 CRV, 2005 CRV and a 1996 CRV
20 Posts
Hi everyone,

One of my rear caliper seized even though I clean and re-lube the brakes every year.
I was able to push back the caliper's cylinder with big pliers.. worked fine for the last two weeks, but yesterday it jammed again.

How can I fix this?
Do I need to change the caliper? both rears?
Am I the only one with this issue?

**Edit: pads moves freely, caliper pins are lubed and do their job. Only problem I can notice is the cylinder not moving back.

That's my heated up wheel after I put some snow on it.
View attachment 144877
Thanks for your help. I got it replaced today.
Had a similar problem on my 2008. After stripping everything down, checking callipers etc, discovered the piston had corrosion and was seizing up. Replaced one side with new piston & seals, then later the other side went the same way - new piston wasn't available, so the old one, which wasn't too bad, was cleaned up and polished, then replaced. Still working OK

1 - 20 of 23 Posts