Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems i remember reading something about Honda planning on introducing their first diesel here in the states, though i don't recall in what model. How about a turbo diesel option in all the truck line; Pilot, CR-V, Element, Ridgeline, and Odyssey? Give us a chance to enjoy stump pulling torque and good MPG! The technology exists to meet new EPA standards -- give us a chance!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
below taken from AutoWeek 1/16/07 -- anyone else interested in a diesel CRV?

Honda Motor Co. is developing diesels for the United States. Honda already offers three gasoline-electric hybrids in its lineup.

First, Honda will introduce a four-cylinder diesel for use in cars or light trucks. Honda wants to sell diesels in the United States by the end of the decade. Honda sells a diesel Accord in Europe.

"The U.S. is our most important market and a top priority for diesels," says Motoatsu Shiraishi, Honda's president of research and development.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Agree - way too slow. We were just in the UK - looked at a 6 speed turbo diesel. What are they waiting for?
Actually, part of it has to do with what the US EPA did to diesel fuel over the last couple of years. Going to Ultra Low Sulfur fuel caused the few car companies (VW, Mercedes,etc.) to drop their existing US diesels and wait for the new fuels to become available.

Even though diesel, today, is $3.09 and gas is $2.69 where I am, the diesel is still a way better alternative and much cheaper to operate.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If my 1990 Accord can make it another couple of years, my next car will have clean diesel engine. I like the extra torque, fuel mileage, and sturdiness over a gasoline engine. Also, getting diesel fuel at truck stops was always fun when riding in my friends diesel car. Most of the time, no waiting in line to fill up. I also like the fact that the mark up is not as high as hybrid cars for a similar gain in fuel efficiency (although not quite as much).

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have a 2004 diesel Euro Accord Tourer (wagon), which is fantastic.
0-60 in about 9.5 sec (5 speed manual) and average about 45 UK mpg = 37 US miles per gallon. Not bad considering the huge load space.
Here are some pictures of my Euro Accord:

I have just ordered a diesel CR-V, hopefully it will be with me in a few weeks. My only real problem is the lack of automatic for the diesel, but I couldn't find a better alternative.

·
Registered
24 Posts
WOW... My 10.8litre Mercedes MB4000('06 Freightliner Columbia)would be in pieces to rev that high.2500 rpms is limit on that engine.Over-revving can occur in mountain driving on big rigs sometimes, but i just do "local" work within state of Wisconsin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts