Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cannot seem to find any info on the forum and where to buy them or does the 2017 CRV not have them. Bought these for my Pilot from HondaPartsCheap.com

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
The '17 does not have TPMS sensors. The TPMS system is the simpler kind that just reads relative wheel rotations off the ABS system, and lights it up if one of the tires is turning faster than the others.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Passive TPMS is not without their problems, such as.
1. False alarms - don't freek out when the alarm goes off. Keep a tire gauge in the car, check the tires, if ok perform a calibration.
2. Tire wear - if you have to replace a single tire in a set that are half way thru their life, you may see the alarm going off all the time.
3. The system doesn't tell you which tire is causing the alarm.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thank goodness the CR-V and our Civic use passive TPMS. The kind with the sensors in the wheel stink. Pricey to replace, hard to switch back and forth to winter wheels, finite lifespan on the batteries. I'll take an ABS based system all day long and twice on Sunday versus a dedicated sensor based system.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Thank goodness the CR-V and our Civic use passive TPMS. The kind with the sensors in the wheel stink. Pricey to replace, hard to switch back and forth to winter wheels, finite lifespan on the batteries. I'll take an ABS based system all day long and twice on Sunday versus a dedicated sensor based system.
Both systems have their own advantages. The active sensors in my 2012 CR-V were still working well when they were five years old and had 60,000 miles on them. I did replace the tires, shortly before parting with it, and the tire store offered to replace the batteries for a small fee. If I recall some years back when we first installed those on the Gen 5 Corvettes ( I did the new model training for GM on that car) the engineers estimated a seven year life span on those sensors. They only turn on when the vehicle moved and then only once per minute for a very brief time to report in. GM started using the ABS wheel speed sensors on all their vehicles as some sort of system was going to be required on all cars sold after 2008 or so.

The passive systems are simpler but also more prone to giving false results. Note that on these cars they have put a user accessible reset button on so the owner can "correct" any false readings or do a reset on the vehicle. I know this because I have had to do it so often on our 2015 Fit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts