Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2010 2.2 diesel EX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how sensitive the tyre pressure warning sensors are. The tyres should be 2.1 bar and I generally check them every two weeks or so. The car went in for a service and MOT this week and I assume the garage altered the pressures and I guess they did not reset them, 30 miles after the service, the light comes on. I checked them, all at 2.0 bar. So are the sensors that sensitive they will detect a 0.1 bar difference?

PS for our American readers the 0.1 bar is 1.5 PSI
PPS "tyres" is spelt correctly ;o)

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,093 Posts
Moving this to the UK section since MOTs arent relevant to US folk :)

Could you complete your profile so we know what spec/model your CRV is please?

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,093 Posts
We can see it now, cheers.

Are your tyres all the same brand? What PSI do you have them inflated to?

The Honda Deflation Warning System (DWS) is indeed VERY sensitive.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yes. Vehicle's TPMS sensors can be very sensitive. Especially during large weather temp range changes. On my one vehicle, sometimes its light would come on and sometimes it would be off Very strange. I then add +3 lbs of air slightly above their recommended minimum and its TPMS lights remain off "in any weather temp". With this in mind, do all +3 lbs above minimum for cold weather months. This trick might work for you as well...

Surf: TPMS Light Coming On in Cold Weather? Here’s Why. - Les Schwab.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
4,208 Posts
Wouldn't a temperature change, no matter how drastic, effect all your tires equally?
This assumes they were identical tires, different ones might react differently or at different rates.
Maybe if one or more were in direct sun, and the others in shade, but normally wouldn't they all react similarly?

·
Registered
2010 2.2 diesel EX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All 4 tyres are the same manufacturer and all at 4.5-5.0 mm tread depth, all at 2.1 bar as recommended by the sticker in the door jamb. I guess my initial thought of the garage adjusting the pressures down and not initialising the system holds up. Cheers all.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hello,
Just a little bit of clarification – On the European CRV’s manufactured between 2010 to 2012 there is no actual tyre pressure sensor fitted in the wheel.

The Honda tyre low pressure warning system relies on the ABS / VSA systems to indicate low tyre pressure – The owner’s manual states when adjusting the tyre pressure, you should always recalibrate the system.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,498 Posts
Hello,
Just a little bit of clarification – On the European CRV’s manufactured between 2010 to 2012 the is no actual tyre pressure sensor fitted in the wheel.

The Honda tyre low pressure warning system relies on the ABS / VSA systems to indicate low tyre pressure – The owner’s manual states when adjusting the tyre pressure, you should always recalibrate the system.
^^ Important point.

And to add one other thing to the equation, with the indirect TPMS described by UK-Kev, since it relies on comparing tire rotation speeds, you can sometimes get a false positive alert from the system due to the traction control systems dealing with a nasty pot hole, rough road conditions, or allowing one side of the vehicle tires to drive on the shoulder of the road. The best practice is to recheck pressure in the tires, and then recalibrate the system and it will clear.

As to sensitivity... in my experience Honda indirect TPMS generally will issue an alert when it detects ~ 8 psi difference between one or more wheels. Keep in mind, the purpose of the system is safe driving and not driving on a flat and tearing the tire apart. Instead it is meant to alert early of a possible tire inflation issue well before the tire is deflated from a simple tire puncture. It's the CRV alerting that it is "worried about a tire... so please check air pressure" alert, not a here is the current pressure in each tire metric.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts