Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my CRV (2005 i-VTEC Sport 2.0 petrol) went into the service centre this morning with a problem for the first time in 7 years - unfortunately it went back in again 20 mins after it had been collected when discovered they hadn't as they thought fixed the problem (did get a car wash and hoover out of it though,which was appreciated!). Wanted to try and find out a bit more about what the problem may be so anyone seen the following symptoms?

Engine malfunction light comes on and after that if you try to accelerate the engine just goes completely flat - almost feels like it has died, but is still running just no acceleration. Don't have the actual error code the service guys read from the on-board diagnostic system, but apparently it is related to some pressure sensor on the cam shaft related to the variable valve timing - anyone make sense of this and know the likely solution?

Any info would be very much appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
It is the Vtec valve stuck open, when you rev the engine over 4500rpm the valve lets the other set of valves operate to give you that extra power to get on the freeway with, or climb a steep grade etc........ If you drive around in the city a lot and don't accelerate hard once in a while the valve can stick, and then you get the no power that you described. So to keep this from happening you need to drive it hard once in a wile to keep the valve lubed and free.......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@steve - thanks for the info and think you could be spot on. Vehicle has been looked at today again in the service centre and your description sounds very similar to what they were telling me about a sticky valve. Sounds like a fine excuse I can give my good wife when I want to put the foot down and push on. Cheers again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts