Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Folks,

Last 2 weeks now with the really cold weather the Alternator belt has started screeching under load with the demister A/c on etc and i have browsed related topics here and how to vids and have a good idea how to tighten the little slack on it just it looks fairly hard to get to topside anyway,is it a more under the car job?

I couldn`t make out the nuts clearly either as it is a tight space there to inspect.

It`s driving me crazy!

Thanks

·
Registered
244 Posts
Greg-Sir,

I'm not sure what GTCB-chris is talking about since I too have serpentine drive belts for the AC, PS, and alternator on my 98 CR-V that I have replaced. They are a real pain in the A$$ to replace (these are not V belts). Not much room, difficult to get at the adjustment nuts etc.... I had to replace the alternator belt as it broke, the PS belt is in front of that so I chose to replace that as well (since it needs to be removed to get new alt. belt on), the AC belt needs to have the lower motor mount removed to replace that. I worked mostly from the top side, the alternator adjustment bolt is from the top side, although the alternator pivit bolt (lower bolt that needs to be lossened to allow alternator adjustment) I did have to crawl under neath the vehicle to get lose and tighten. The power steering was top access, the AC is top access although as stated above if replacing the belt then from below to drop lower motor mount. Hope this is of some help, lots of luck, Russ.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
my 2000 cr-v did not have a serpentine belt, to me a serpentine belt is a single belt that provides power to all accessories, acessories that have no adjustment them selves and rely on a belt tensioner to tighten the belts.

my 1984 k5 blazer uses the same kind of belts that my 2000 honda cr-v did...

i know 2nd gens and up use a serpentine belt system.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
GTCB-chris,

I'm not sure what your point is, the belts in my 98 CRV are the "flat" non V belt style referred to in all parts houses I've been in as serpentine. Perhaps you should direct your comment at the parts industry. I will not back down from the fact that the CR-V does not use V belts. Russ

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks rberman999 for the details, they are going to help :).

Maybe i was misinformed by the mighty web,the truth is i only heard of the Serpentine belt system for the first time Today and i assumed that it must be on my car and i was lead more to believe it after a few searches here turned up nought for alternator belt compared to the results for the Serpentine variation.

Seems the V-belt terminology can be picked up wrongly sometimes,

thanks guys.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I guess I can conceed to GTCB-chris that the name Serpentine is not correct, but the same can be said for the term V belt. The belts used in a 98 Honda CR-V engine to drive the alternator and power steering units are referred to as "drive belts". It would appear the the air conditioner is more of a serpentine belt as there is no adjustment at the AC compressor only a single adjustment pully / tensioner. While they are exactly the same construction as a Sepentine belt, flat with multi-vee or multi-ribs, in the exact defination the the two would not fit the defination of serpentine belt, while the AC is a clearly inbetween. Maybe this should become a sticky.....

·
MECP Audio Expert
2,076 Posts
if it runs more than one thing, serpintine, if it just runs one thing, like our b-series engines, drive belt.

Anyway, adjusting the alternator and replacing the power steering belt both are 5 min jobs. i adjusted my alternator belt twice in the last month and it was 5 min, and swapped the power steering out and backin to see if I would like the V with the power steering ripped out. Both are easy.

On the alternator belt you need a 12mm wrenchy wratchet, and a pry bar for adjustment.

·
Registered
244 Posts
illegal,

I notice how you stated replacing / adjusting the power steering belt is a 5 minute job, I would fully agree with that, now the alternator, that is another matter. Replacement of that belt is fairly difficult, having done it recently and takes much more time than 5 minutes. Very little room to work and you need to remove the AC and power steering belts. In the end if the OP has recently placed new belts into service then adjustment would be the right thing to do, if the belts are more than 3 years old then replacement is the way to go. Also if adjusting the alternator belt be sure to get the correct tension on it as too little will result in under charging, too much could result in killing the alternator bearings or belt breakage (on an old belt). Russ

·
MECP Audio Expert
2,076 Posts
changing them for me isnt hard, but I can see how it would be. It's always easier with a lift, air tools, and when the mount comes right off, and youve done it a million times :D The adjustment, which is all that prob is needed, is very easy and fast though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Identify the drive belts

Hi Guys,

I have a CRV-2000, and I am very confused about which belt is which one on the internet. I cannot find any alternator, power steering or a/c belt on amazon.com or ebay. But there are Serpentine belt, Multi-V groove belt, and Poly-V belts. And according to amazon, these are all fits to my honda crv. I wonder if anybody can tell me which one should I buy. I will change the timing belt, water pump and every belts this weekend, and I have everything except two of the three drive belts. I have bought this one: Bando 4PK900 OEM Quality Serpentine Belt at amazon.com, but I am not sure this is the a/c, the ps or the alternator belt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have a CRV-2000, and I am very confused about which belt is which one on the internet. I cannot find any alternator, power steering or a/c belt on amazon.com or ebay. But there are Serpentine belt, Multi-V groove belt, and Poly-V belts. And according to amazon, these are all fits to my honda crv. I wonder if anybody can tell me which one should I buy. I will change the timing belt, water pump and every belts this weekend, and I have everything except two of the three drive belts. I have bought this one: Bando 4PK900 OEM Quality Serpentine Belt at amazon.com, but I am not sure this is the a/c, the ps or the alternator belt.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My CRv is a 1998, but I believe your belts are the same as mine: Alternator - 4PK820; Aircon - 4PK895; Power Steering - 4PK850 or 4PK845.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you ever need to look-up part numbers, try searching O'Reilly Auto Parts www (dot) oreillyauto (dot) com (I have not posted more than 5 times, so can't post a URL link yet)

Then you can take the mfg. part number and look-up on Amazon or other sites. You can usually find the parts a bit cheaper on amazon.com If you have a Prime membership you can cut down the shipping costs. (non I don't work for amazon.com- but I'm a satisfied customer!)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts