Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am due for my second oil change on my 2016 Honda CR-V at 14,500 miles. The code that came up on the Maintenance Minder at 15% oil life is B16. I understand that 1 means tire rotation and 6 means replacing the rear differential fluid. The dealership told me that this will cost me a little over $200. They told me that the oil change alone for a B service is about $100. I called a few Honda dealerships in the area and all seem to have around the same price range for this service.

An oil change for $100 seems too much to me for a car with barely 15k miles. Is this something I could get done at any mechanic like Firestone, etc.? Would I be putting my warranty in jeopardy by doing this?

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I am due for my second oil change on my 2016 Honda CR-V at 14,500 miles. The code that came up on the Maintenance Minder at 15% oil life is B16. I understand that 1 means tire rotation and 6 means replacing the rear differential fluid. The dealership told me that this will cost me a little over $200. They told me that the oil change alone for a B service is about $100. I called a few Honda dealerships in the area and all seem to have around the same price range for this service.

An oil change for $100 seems too much to me for a car with barely 15k miles. Is this something I could get done at any mechanic like Firestone, etc.? Would I be putting my warranty in jeopardy by doing this?
You can go to another shop like Firestone or even do it yourself. Just keep your receipts as proof that the job was done and your warranty will be safe.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can go to another shop like Firestone or even do it yourself. Just keep your receipts as proof that the job was done and your warranty will be safe.
Would Firestone or other shops know the difference between a B and an A oil change? Seems like a B oil change is more detailed.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Would Firestone or other shops know the difference between a B and an A oil change? Seems like a B oil change is more detailed.
No they aren't going to know the difference. You can talk to them and see what they will do for you though. Let them know what it entails and see what they charge vs the dealership.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No they aren't going to know the difference. You can talk to them and see what they will do for you though. Let them know what it entails and see what they charge vs the dealership.
So I will have to show them what a B service includes? If I don't get a B service done and do a simple oil change, would I be putting my warranty in trouble?

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
So I will have to show them what a B service includes? If I don't get a B service done and do a simple oil change, would I be putting my warranty in trouble?
The main thing with the "B" service is the oil and filter change. The other stuff is just extra. I do all my own service in my garage and the only thing on the "B" service I do (besides the oil and filter) is check all my fluids. No it won't void your warranty. Just keep your receipts and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The main thing with the "B" service is the oil and filter change. The other stuff is just extra. I do all my own service in my garage and the only thing on the "B" service I do (besides the oil and filter) is check all my fluids. No it won't void your warranty. Just keep your receipts and you'll be fine.
This is what I had read online about what a B service includes -

- Replace Engine Oil and Filter
- Inspect Front and Rear brakes
- Check parking brake adjustment
- Inspect these items:
-- Tie rod ends, steering gear box, and boots
-- Suspension components
-- Driveshaft boots
-- Brake hoses and lines (including ABS)
-- All fluid levels and condition of fluids
-- Exhaust System
-- Fuel lines and connections

So, if I could have Firestone do an oil change with filter, tire rotation and replace differential fluid that should be enough for warranty since that's the code I got - B16.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Any competent shop can do the oil change, just make sure they use the specified 0w-20.

Honda requires you use a Honda differential fluid though, so either get that fluid from your dealer for your shop to use, do-it-yourself or take it to the dealer. Fwiw, I had the dealer do my differential service and it was $90. Too much for the for the effort involved, but not outrageous.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any competent shop can do the oil change, just make sure they use the specified 0w-20.

Honda requires you use a Honda differential fluid though, so either get that fluid from your dealer for your shop to use, do-it-yourself or take it to the dealer. Fwiw, I had the dealer do my differential service and it was $90. Too much for the for the effort involved, but not outrageous.
The ones here are asking for about 90-100 for differential service. There regular oil change is only about $40, which is reasonable compared to Firestone, etc. Firestone and Tires Plus told their full synthetic oil change is for about $60.

Can I tell my dealership to do just A oil change for now? Would they agree? Would this void my warranty?

·
Registered
495 Posts
A $100 oil change????? $100 to perform other services?????? Holey mackerel, where on earth do you live?

I'm looking at my Honda Dealer ad I got in the mail today and it advertises :

"$24.95 oil & filter change includes complimentary multi-point inspection all as per Honda Owners Manual and using only Honda Genuine Parts. $30.95 for 0W-20 Synthetic." "Wait in our lounge with free coffee and WiFi or we will drive you to work and back"
BTW, The last time i was there they had these great pastries! It's a shame our CR-V only has 6,000 mi and 50% service life left since her last oil change!!!! By the time another 6,000 miles rolls around the ad will probably have expired.:rolleyes: Almost forgot, they have a nice carwash available to anyone who bought their car from them and they install wiper blades for free.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
This is what I had read online about what a B service includes -

- Replace Engine Oil and Filter
- Inspect Front and Rear brakes
- Check parking brake adjustment
- Inspect these items:
-- Tie rod ends, steering gear box, and boots
-- Suspension components
-- Driveshaft boots
-- Brake hoses and lines (including ABS)
-- All fluid levels and condition of fluids
-- Exhaust System
-- Fuel lines and connections

So, if I could have Firestone do an oil change with filter, tire rotation and replace differential fluid that should be enough for warranty since that's the code I got - B16.
It will not affect your warranty. Since you are very concerned with that, I suggest that you go to the dealership to give yourself peace of mind. All the "other" stuff on the "B" service is just an inspect and has no impact on your warranty. Dealership prices are completely inflated but are justifiable since people would rather pay them to do it instead of doing maintenance themselves. My local dealer charges $180 to change the transmission fluid. I did it in my garage with Honda OEM fluid for about $50. I saved my receipt and wrote the mileage and date that I conducted the service on my receipt. My warranty is completely safe.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
A $100 oil change????? $100 to perform other services?????? Holey mackerel, where on earth do you live?

BTW, The last time i was there they had these great pastries! It's a shame our CR-V only has 6,000 mi and 50% service life left since her last oil change!!!! By the time another 6,000 miles rolls around the ad will probably have expired.:rolleyes:

I wish I lived where you live. We have 1 Honda dealership in my town and they charge $80 for a full synthetic oil change. It's absolutely outrageous! So, I do my own in my garage for $30.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
1,775 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

BTW, The last time i was there they had these great pastries! It's a shame our CR-V only has 6,000 mi and 50% service life left since her last oil change!!!! By the time another 6,000 miles rolls around the ad will probably have expired.:rolleyes: Almost forgot, they have a nice carwash available to anyone who bought their car from them and they install wiper blades for free.
I live in MN and almost all the places I have called charge atleast $50-60 for a full synthetic 0-W20 oil. The dealership charges $40 but the B service oil change requires additional checks, which is why it is $100. The other 100 is for replacing the differential fluid.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wish I lived where you live. We have 1 Honda dealership in my town and they charge $80 for a full synthetic oil change. It's absolutely outrageous! So, I do my own in my garage for $30.
Exactly. The cheapest that I have been able to find for a full synthetic oil change is 40 bucks at the dealership with a coupon.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
My Honda dealer also has service specials and coupons listed on their website.

I just checked mine and found a buy 3 get 1 free on oil filters, 15% off over the counter parts or accessory purchases, $5 tire rotation, and another coupon that was for amounts off any service that you didn't have a specific coupon for.

I also get service coupons in the mail every few months.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I stopped by my dealership this evening and talked to them about my concerns. The service person that I talked to said that since I have only about 14k miles on my car and this is my second oil change, I don't need a B service. He said a B service is needed after 2-3 oil changes. He said when you come in, just ask for A16 service instead of B16 and added, "This is your car, you get to pick what you want done...no pressure at all". So, I guess I'll just stick to my dealership since other places I called were actually either about the same price or more expensive.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts