Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 SE A/T
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello friends,

My name is Christopher.

Last week I purchased an extremely clean 2006 SE A/T with almost 162k miles. I Love it and it is the nicest vehicle I have ever owned. I intentionally sought out the '06 CR-V given its great reviews on reliability and being a father of an almost 2-year-old beautiful boy (not to mention, it was the last year that the picnic table was included and the spare tire located on the back).

I intend to take the best care possible of this excellent machine and hope someday my son will be driving it around. I have read instances where drivers have taken their vehicles up to and passed the 1 million mile mark! (...consider me inspired)

If anyone should have any helpful tips in this regard, I would greatly appreciate it. I live in Wisconsin, so I do have to contend with some issues that others do not (snow/ice/salt/temperatures/You get the idea).

Thank You so much, everyone! I am happy to be part of the club. The CR-V is so great!
Beautiful, spacious, practical, user-friendly, economical, etc.....But You all know this ;)

I mean...this thing is a keeper. Can You really blame me for wanting to drive it for the rest of my life? God Bless You all and happy CR-V-ing :)

·
Premium Member
2018 EX-L fwd
969 Posts
Congrats on the "new" ride.

How much of its previous maintenance record do you know? That would be a great place from which to start out with regards to insuring the long life of your vehicle.

·
Registered
2006 SE A/T
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You very much!

I was given the Carfax report with the vehicle and have looked it over. Doesn't look like everything is included/reported on it (hard to believe the last owner went 20k without changing the oil). Judging by the overall cleanliness of the vehicle both inside and out, all 2 previous owners took pretty good care of her. I'll spare listing all the oil changes.

1st Owner:
10K - Tires Rotated
25K - Rear brakes serviced/adjusted

2nd Owner (at 45k miles):
48k - Drain plug gasket replaced
50k - Cabin air filter replaced, Transmission fluid changed, Drain plug gasket replaced, Air filter replaced, Brake caliper(s) replaced
55k - Drain plug gasket replaced
68k - Drain plug gasket replaced
74k - Maintenance inspection completed, Rear brake pads replaced, Four wheel alignment and balancing, Rear brake rotors replaced
92k - Serpentine tensioner replaced, Lower ball joint(s) replaced, Four wheel alignment, steering/suspension checked
121k - Passed emissions inspection
150k - Passed emissions inspection

According to the dealership I bought it from, new wheel bearings were just installed as well (though I have no proof of this at the moment).

Thanks for Your time, my friend!

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
7,535 Posts
Hello and welcome :)

Reactions: cjames108

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,794 Posts
Christopher, WELCOME!

Suggest registering your VIN at the Honda Ownerlink, where you will be advised of the status of any recalls. They also have a maintenance schedule for Gen2 and older.

If you don't have a record of any recommended maintenance performed, DO IT.

Additionally (since you live in salted road areas) do routine Brake Service yearly, and adjust the valves every 100k miles. F&R pads should wear out at about the same time, ours last 75K miles easily.

Interesting about all the notations for replacement of drain plug gaskets. These are aluminum crush washers, and as long as the mating surfaces are not damaged, can last several oil changes. Some of the online dealers give them to you with oil filters.

Oil leaks are usually a lack of sealant at the 'corners' of the valve cover and the joints of the head/timing cover. Oil pressure senders are also worth monitoring for leaks.

Didn't see a mention of ATF or rear diff changes?

Reactions: cjames108

·
Registered
193 Posts
In addition to the valve lash adjustment, I would replace all fluids and use only Honda fluids. I did it myself recently on my gen1 and also my Toyota Camry and it wasn’t so hard. A self-bleed kit for brakes is very handy and probably only costs $10.
I also wonder how long the OE spark plugs last? I would only go OEM.
I guess you have no wires, cap or rotor to worry about.
I heard this generation has the air conditioning condenser implode and ruins the whole system. I’d get that checked out.
I would examine everything for rust and try and get ahead of it by cleaning things up and putting some undercoating. I saw online where a guy used ATF for rustproofing and fed it into the body panels amd caught it when it drained out.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,794 Posts
I heard this generation has the air conditioning condenser implode and ruins the whole system. I’d get that checked out.
The '05-'06 doesn't suffer from compressor issues as the early Gen2 does.

The condenser bears inspection tho', as road debris can damage it (from the opening below the bumper). Some folks used to put a screen in there to protect it.

·
Registered
2006 SE A/T
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Christopher, WELCOME!

Suggest registering your VIN at the Honda Ownerlink, where you will be advised of the status of any recalls. They also have a maintenance schedule for Gen2 and older.

If you don't have a record of any recommended maintenance performed, DO IT.

Additionally (since you live in salted road areas) do routine Brake Service yearly, and adjust the valves every 100k miles. F&R pads should wear out at about the same time, ours last 75K miles easily.

Interesting about all the notations for replacement of drain plug gaskets. These are aluminum crush washers, and as long as the mating surfaces are not damaged, can last several oil changes. Some of the online dealers give them to you with oil filters.

Oil leaks are usually a lack of sealant at the 'corners' of the valve cover and the joints of the head/timing cover. Oil pressure senders are also worth monitoring for leaks.

Didn't see a mention of ATF or rear diff changes?
Thank You!

I just registered and see there is a safety recall, I’ll follow up with a dealership on this.

I saw no mention of ATF or rear diff changes.

I will check out the list and make one of my own.

Thanks again!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts