Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Honda CRV EX 4X4

Car rides smooth when driving at speed but when ever you're going up a hill or accelerating hard the whole car starts shacking.

I've replaced both front axles (cardone) because they had torn boots.
Replaced the drive shaft support bearing because the rubber was torn up.
I have new tires all around and had them balanced about a month ago.
New outer tie rods so I got an alignment a week ago.
Ujoints on drive shaft seem fine.

Still shacking and I don't know where to look.

Was maybe thinking of getting a whole drive shaft because the center ujoint has a little play in it but i've seen way worse before but I thought it would be a good process of elimination. Ebay drive shaft

·
Everything in Moderation
8,074 Posts
:LOL: Not familiar with "shacking" IRT automobiles.

The only definition I could get from Google was 'move in, or live with someone, as a lover'. Somehow, I don't think that applies. :eek:

+++++++

If you meant SHAKING...driveshaft/propshaft vibration is a common malady. Easy enough to remove it for a while, as a diagnostic. Just support that center bearing during removal. You won't have any issues, unless it snows.

With the shaft off the car, check for binding/roughness of the u joints. Any stiffness, think about that replacement.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Removing the driveshaft (Honda's official name is "propeller shaft" in case you're looking for parts) as Buff says above and take 'er for a spin. If it's like the first gen, there are four bolts holding it onto each end (mine were 12-point heads), two to remove the support bearing, and an additional two bolts per safety loop. A loose universal joint bearing can cause vibration and eventually fail. In first gens, the symptom was a vibration between 40-50 MPH.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Removing the driveshaft (Honda's official name is "propeller shaft" in case you're looking for parts) as Buff says above and take 'er for a spin. If it's like the first gen, there are four bolts holding it onto each end (mine were 12-point heads), two to remove the support bearing, and an additional two bolts per safety loop. A loose universal joint bearing can cause vibration and eventually fail. In first gens, the symptom was a vibration between 40-50 MPH.
Today I ran the car without the drive shaft. Had to buy a 12 point socket as I couldn't get my wrench on the side that does to the transmission. The issue is still there so this leads me to believe it has something to do with the front end. But this was a great way to assure myself that I was looking in the right area. Thanks. I'm going to replace the tranny mount next to see if that changes anything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts