Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hands up - I put another battery in the CRV, in the rain and the dark using my phone as a torch and connected the terminals the wrong way wround. Queue sparks a good beep from the horn and now nada - no electrical activity when I turn the key.

Does the CRV likely have a safety device so only fuses get blown or have I wrecked it?

Would appreciate any constructive words but also fully expect some not so constructive insults as I have indeed been an idiot! :)

Its a 2002 CRV SE Sport

Many thanks!

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
You prolly have a handful of blown fuses. Some are in the engine compartment and some under the dash.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Check under the hood in the distribution box. Either a 50A or 100 A fuse that is probably blown. Fuse is screw in. Not your typical pulled out fuse. Otherwise you should be OK after replacement. Done the same thing ..... twice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys - will I need to get those (screw in) fuses from a Honda dealer or are they standard ish and be able to pick up from a generic motoring store?

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Hey Caught, did you suffer any other ill effects other than the blown fuse(s)?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Could it be the battery damaged ????
It shouldn't. It is an instantaneous short across the battery that last probably a few milliseconds, time needed for the fuse to blow but not enough time to damage the battery. I was looking at the charging circuit of a 2007 and the 100 A fuse is probably blown. Should be the same with a 2002. Battery being in reverse, the current goes from the positive pole then through the alternator's diodes (there's roughly a dozen of them), diodes now are forward bias and will let the current through them straight to the ground, only protected by the 100 A fuse. Rough sketch included showing the direction of the current ... I'm not much of an "artist" ;) .

Charging.jpg

·
Registered
295 Posts
to 20crvex13, No, only to my pride............. being an electronic tech for the last 45 yrs and managed to reverse the battery on my '90 Integra and later on a Accord if I remembered correctly.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
to 20crvex13, No, only to my pride............. being an electronic tech for the last 45 yrs and managed to reverse the battery on my '90 Integra and later on a Accord if I remembered correctly.
Yeah, similar history and expertise -- I've done this twice on my motorcycle.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Ouch! With all the electronics that are in these cars now, I'm hesitant to even jump start them let alone hook up a battery backwards.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Lol... I hate electrical work... I do IT stuff as well as trying new stuff.. Even if it is easy stuff like changing a battery..

It is either something pokes you,get stuck, you get a small jolt or sparks flly, something loose, a screw is hidden..

I accidentally had jumper cables connected wrong once. Lucky for me, I connected one side first so when I try to connect the other side I got sparks which means reverse polarity.. so no damage. Just a pretty light show..

As for all electronics today.. Yeah I would hate jump starting cars today so many different electronics and things can get fried easily also.. If I had some money I would get a portable jumper.. That way you don't have to connect two cars you can just take it out of your trunk and just connect it.

Maybe battery companies can paint the positive terminal red so it is easier to spot positive post :p Just saying since most cars give you a red plastic cover to remind you positive this side.

When I install the battery for the RAV4 I had to put in backwards because the terminals were reversed. I got a 35.. a 35R would work better because now I got the empty black side facing the outside and the label facing the firewall.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Turns out only the 100AMP fuse had blown and everything else is fine!! HUGE relief! and a lesson that will hopefully stay with me :)
Thank you folks for your help and input. Its really appreciated.

All the best.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Yeah, glad to hear the fuse did its job. Congrats on an easy fix, always the best kind.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts