Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Anyone install that VG Mark II shark fin antenna to replace the mast antenna? Looks good and very easy to install but does it work well?

·
Registered
95 Posts
i bought an OE acura sharkfin and love it.

i had dealer install.

pix posted, search electronic section for my post

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Hi. Anyone install that VG Mark II shark fin antenna to replace the mast antenna? Looks good and very easy to install but does it work well?
Do you have a link to this antenna?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,997 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just found this post! I installed the VG Mark II Shark Fin Antenna last summer. The reception is the same as the factory antenna. Our 2013 Honda CRV has gone through many Fall & Winter automatic car washes without any problems. I am quite amazed at how many compliments I have received about it.

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
I looked into getting an aftermarket antenna until I found the OEM Acura Shark fine antenna is was better in every aspect.

1. The OEM Acura is the same exact color match as the Honda paint and it comes from the factory like that.

2. It has the same OEM connector as the one you are replacing.

3. THE aftermarket antennas are hollowed out and it is stuck on with double sided sticky tape which to me over time degrades and I would feel water would get into my car.

4. Cost only 60.00 at an Acura dealer and you can have it ordered there and pick it up the next day from Acura as they have next day part pick up.

BUT of course the aftermarket is fine as well.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
3. THE aftermarket antennas are hollowed out and it is stuck on with double sided sticky tape which to me over time degrades and I would feel water would get into my car.
Water should not get into the car because with the VG aftermarket one you are not removing the existing base that's on the car now. It plugs into the existing base and covers it with the shark fin. So no way for water to get in really. I can see the tape perhaps degrading over time but if it's good tape it shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, basically a cover that is also an antenna as it plugs into the existing base. For me the question will be if it will still allow XM reception as that is all I listen to and I believe the existing base, not the antenna is for XM as I have a 1.25" stubby antenna on there now and XM reception is still great.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yes, basically a cover that is also an antenna as it plugs into the existing base. For me the question will be if it will still allow XM reception as that is all I listen to and I believe the existing base, not the antenna is for XM as I have a 1.25" stubby antenna on there now and XM reception is still great.
Wolf I would like to thank you alot. You explained the antenna to me and ended up buying one without the hassle of having to install and oem one and pulling the headliner.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Since no one has covered this topic. Rather than start up a new thread I will post here.

I currently have a sharkfin from VG that's been sitting in my house from my previous car. I am going to test fit it tomorrow and will post pics

·
Registered
69 Posts
I can confirm that the VG antenna works, well, is easy to install and paint matches perfectly. I have used them on 4 cars, the oldest being a 2006 Mazda 3. Also on a 2007, 2010 and 2013 CRV. No leaks, no coming loose even after 7 yrs on the Mazda.

·
Registered
15 Posts
shark fin antenna

hello fellow v' owners
can you send a link for the one on ebay that is 20bucks or less antenna fin. many thanks

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I still like my Ebay Shark Fin, but as I assumed, I lost one of my distant radio stations, which barely comes in now. It's not a big priority to me as I mostly use my iPhone for music, but if you rely on your FM as your music, you might be disappointed.

My 2 cents......

1 - 20 of 57 Posts