Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all,

I've got an 04 Crv that has been having issues starting for about a month and a half now. Some times she'll start, sometimes she won't. There doesn't seem to be any real pattern with it, it's like a roll of a dice. I included a link to a YouTube video I uploaded of how it sounds when it won't start. Thanks in advance y'all.

04 Honda Crv won't start

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,168 Posts
The clicking I hear usually is a result of a weak battery or poor connections.

If the battery is more than 5 years old replace it. Younger, get it load-tested.

Make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you still have this issue with a new battery (I went through this little circus a couple of years ago), it might be your starter. This generation of CRVs has issues with the starters cooking their contacts. Most people just put in an aftermarket starter for $200 and labor, but you can get a rebuild kit off ebay for $12.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Sometimes it does but most times when she decides not to start in those moments , it won't start.
If you still have this issue with a new battery (I went through this little circus a couple of years ago), it might be your starter. This generation of CRVs has issues with the starters cooking their contacts. Most people just put in an aftermarket starter for $200 and labor, but you can get a rebuild kit off ebay for $12.
a few years ago, my 03 element had a starter that was dying, not yet dead. It produced an intermittent pseudo “crank - no start” situation (instead of a no crank no start) but with repeated cranks of the ignition switch, (maybe 3-4 times) it would eventually start, rather than never starting.

So I’m in the same boat as cgilley and carbuff - I think you might consider the “no crank no start - battery / voltage drop / starter” algorithm rather than a “crank - no start - air/fuel/spark” algorithm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts