Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From American Honda on NHTSA site:

Dealer Message - Today, May 29, 2019, American Honda is announcing a Product Update for certain 2017-18 CR-V vehicles to address a possible shift knob button failure. Do an iN VIN status inquiry to determine which units in your inventory are affected. American Honda requests that all vehicles in dealer inventory be repaired prior to sale to ensure customer confidence and satisfaction. Due to a material change used in supplier production, the shift knob button is more susceptible to breaking after being exposed to heat and humidity. When the button breaks, the shifter will not function properly and it will become more difficult to shift the vehicle into the desired gear.

On Facebook some Canadian owners have reported this message on their HondaLink app:

Recall - Shift Knob Button May Break
CAMPAIGN ID N95
Recall Date 05/31/2019

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,918 Posts
Us here
Checked vin on honda

No open recalls...

I did too.. I check each month after their normal update time (first week of the month).

Patience... if Canada is getting it.. it will come here too. :)

I bet colder weather locations get priority first as temperature does have an effect on the brittleness of plastics.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have car in the shop today for something else and was told there is a RECALL on the shifter knob so they are taking care of it. From the different threads it sounds like they start to break around 25-26K miles. Mine is still fine so maybe it's just in time.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Us here
Checked vin on honda

No open recalls...

Just got mine changed during oil change and diff flush.
Soooo much better, not sure what im gonna do in traffic know since jiggling the button was my go to lol

No notice came or anything just told my advisor to change it out

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have car in the shop today for something else and was told there is a RECALL on the shifter knob so they are taking care of it. From the different threads it sounds like they start to break around 25-26K miles. Mine is still fine so maybe it's just in time.
Update: using the shifter with the new knob just installed it’s now hard to get it past reverse to park position. Hope this isn’t the start of a new problem.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I only found a single recall on the US NHTSA site for 2017 and 2018 CR-Vs. But it has nothing to do with the shifter button:

NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V663000
Manufacturer Honda (American Honda Motor Co.)
Components STEERING
Potential Number of Units Affected 54
Summary
Honda (American Honda Motor Co.) is recalling certain 2017-2018 Honda Civic and CR-V vehicles. The magnet that controls the torque sensor output signal for the electronic power steering system may not be properly secured, allowing the magnet to become dislodged. During a full lock turn, the dislodged magnet may cause steering assist to be applied in the opposite direction.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,918 Posts
I only found a single recall on the US NHTSA site for 2017 and 2018 CR-Vs. But it has nothing to do with the shifter button:

NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V663000
Manufacturer Honda (American Honda Motor Co.)
Components STEERING
Potential Number of Units Affected 54
Summary
Honda (American Honda Motor Co.) is recalling certain 2017-2018 Honda Civic and CR-V vehicles. The magnet that controls the torque sensor output signal for the electronic power steering system may not be properly secured, allowing the magnet to become dislodged. During a full lock turn, the dislodged magnet may cause steering assist to be applied in the opposite direction.

Yeah.. it's a TSB, not a formal recall, so it won't show up under the recall tab.

Owners supposedly will get a letter in the mail about taking it in for replacement at their earliest convenience. Dealers would also see the TSB when they check in your vehicle for routine service or maintenance and it should trigger them to replace the button as well.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Looks like its TSB A19-063 although I haven't found a copy of the full TSB.
All I see is:

Bulletin Date:May. 29, 2019
Component:Power train.
Bulletin Summary:Service bulletin - the shift knob button is susceptible to breakage after being exposed to heat and humidity.
Vehicles covered in this TSB:2017 Honda Cr-v, 2018 Honda Cr-v.
Bulletin Summary:Service bulletin - the shift knob button is susceptible to breakage after being exposed to heat and humidity.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All I see is:

The link to 19-063 is listed in other threads but here it is again:
Honda's calling it a "Product Update", not a recall.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Funny, I received a recall notice on this shift knob and low and behold, it popped out! I can put it back in but pops out again. It came out with a spring and if I put it back without the spring, it will stay in. Called the dealer to make an appt and said figure 3 hrs to make the change. Now as a mechanical engineer I’m going to say it’s poor design in material selection. Heat and humidity? Come on! what heat! Just cheap plastic. Hope this isn’t going to be the future of problems. Like door knobs, window etc. Should have kept the old 03 CRV

·
Registered
865 Posts
Funny, I received a recall notice on this shift knob and low and behold, it popped out! I can put it back in but pops out again. It came out with a spring and if I put it back without the spring, it will stay in. Called the dealer to make an appt and said figure 3 hrs to make the change. Now as a mechanical engineer I’m going to say it’s poor design in material selection. Heat and humidity? Come on! what heat! Just cheap plastic. Hope this isn’t going to be the future of problems. Like door knobs, window etc. Should have kept the old 03 CRV
Three hours is giving them time to not work on it. It will take ten minutes once they have the part in their hand and start walking towards the car!

·
Registered
24 Posts
The shift button on my 2017 CR-V popped out at about 14K miles. Fortunately right down the street from a Honda dealership in Ocala, FL. Pulled into their service dept. and they said they'd fix it under a S/B with a new design. About 30 min. later they bought it back ready to go. Got about 18K on it now with no problems.?

·
Registered
35 Posts
All I see is:

Here is TSB A19-063 I found it under NHTSA Number 10160912

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
From American Honda on NHTSA site:

Dealer Message - Today, May 29, 2019, American Honda is announcing a Product Update for certain 2017-18 CR-V vehicles to address a possible shift knob button failure. Do an iN VIN status inquiry to determine which units in your inventory are affected. American Honda requests that all vehicles in dealer inventory be repaired prior to sale to ensure customer confidence and satisfaction. Due to a material change used in supplier production, the shift knob button is more susceptible to breaking after being exposed to heat and humidity. When the button breaks, the shifter will not function properly and it will become more difficult to shift the vehicle into the desired gear.

On Facebook some Canadian owners have reported this message on their HondaLink app:

Recall - Shift Knob Button May Break
CAMPAIGN ID N95
Recall Date 05/31/2019
My shifter knob button broke on Sunday, Dec. 22. I got to Honda Monday morning and they replaced it in about an hour and a half. Stroke of luck on the timing because Honda Service was to be closed Tuesday and Wednesday for Christmas. My CRV is a few hundred miles out of warranty so it was a nice surprise when they told me it is a recall fix. The odd thing is that I never got a recall notice from Honda. I see on other posts that some owners received a recall notice. Did mine get lost in the mail or are there many others who also did not receive it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just had mine replaced : 2017 CR-V Touring with 26K miles on December 28, 2019. The service person says that my VIN is NOT covered by the TSB. When I look at the TSB, it says that to check the status with the Honda iN-VIN system. ("No problem, we replaced it under warranty") How do I find out if my VIN is covered by the TSB?

Does anyone know if Honda improved the shift knob? (material, how it's made or how it's designed?)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just had the shift nob break on my 2017 CR-V. I'm about 4 months out of warranty. I also never received any notice about the TSB.

I wonder what my chances are of getting this done at the dealer without having to pay for it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts