Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The button on my 2017 CR-V broke off this afternoon while shifting it to drive. A spring popped out along with the botton. While I can push it in to move the shifter, it will not stay in. I have an appointment tomorrow to have it fixed. Anyone else run into this? This is ther third CR-V I hadn't had, but by far ther most poorly made. ?

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
4,958 Posts
you must Be the first in here to have that no, not at all they were incorrectly made. did you not get a recall. or you have to today look up recalls.?

·
Registered
21 Posts
The button on my 2017 CR-V broke off this afternoon while shifting it to drive. A spring popped out along with the botton. While I can push it in to move the shifter, it will not stay in. I have an appointment tomorrow to have it fixed. Anyone else run into this? This is ther third CR-V I hadn't had, but by far ther most poorly made. ? View attachment 135786
At this point, this Honda defect is almost legendary. Why they haven't fixed it is mysterious too. Should have been recalled, but even if it wasn't go in and should be fixed for free. If they refuse I guess you can order a third-party kit from Amazon.

·
Registered
21 Posts
At this point, this Honda defect is almost legendary. Why they haven't fixed it is mysterious too. Should have been recalled, but even if it wasn't go in and should be fixed for free. If they refuse I guess you can order a third-party kit from Amazon.
oh I should add plenty of DIYs on Youtube, takes maybe 15 minutes, a flathead, and a phillips screwdriver, preferably stubby

·
Registered
17 Cr-V LX
195 Posts
Search the forum, no need for new post.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,882 Posts

They did fix it and have a Standing TSB at dealers to replace the old button with a new design whenever a CRV is in for service or maintenance. ;)

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
The button on my 2017 CR-V broke off this afternoon while shifting it to drive. A spring popped out along with the botton. While I can push it in to move the shifter, it will not stay in. I have an appointment tomorrow to have it fixed. Anyone else run into this? This is ther third CR-V I hadn't had, but by far ther most poorly made. ? View attachment 135786
Defective button design.... which has now been replaced with a new button design by Honda and is the subject of a standing TSB at dealers when they see a CRV come in for maintenance or service and which does not yet have the new part number installed.

A quick search of the forum would have turned up a half a dozen threads already covering this topic in depth. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
My shifter button broke the day before I got the recall notice in the mail. I just used a large rubber band around the button and the shift knob to hold it in place until I got into the dealer to get it replaced. Worked exceptionally well, but should have been totally unneeded if Honda quality control was staffed with employees.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That happened to me when the car had only 2000 miles on it. I had to shift by sticking my finger inside and maneuver it to shift in order to drive it to the dealer.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
My shifter button broke the day before I got the recall notice in the mail. I just used a large rubber band around the button and the shift knob to hold it in place until I got into the dealer to get it replaced. Worked exceptionally well, but should have been totally unneeded if Honda quality control was staffed with employees.

I would argue that quality control was in fact active at Honda.

What do I mean by this?

Quality control is about more then never having a design defect. It is impossible to predict every defect in a plastic part in advance... so it is much more about what the manufacturer does about a defect when it shows up in the field. In this case, Honda actually analyzed the causes and went back to the drawing board and redesigned the button, using a different material, and then issued a TSB to dealers to catch and replace the button on any Honda that comes in for maintenance or service. THAT is good quality control in my view.

Knowing Honda... they also went back and looked at how the defect in the part escaped testing and analysis as well.. to prevent future similar occurances in the future. THAT is also an integral part of long term and persistent quality control.

Some companies would just shrug and replace the part when it breaks, perhaps not even honoring the repair under warranty, and never go back and redesign the part.

·
Registered
90 Posts
**My 2017 EX-L with NAV's Button also broke the same way so long ago that I don't recall how long. The dealer said that it was a manufacturing defect and they replaced it for free but it was within the original car warranty period. I have not have another problem with the button since that replacement.

However in researching the issue online at the time there was a picture from a many years earlier CRV where the Button device broke and the picture looked EXACTLY like the break in my shifter Button device so I questioned whether it was a 2017 manufacturing defect or a design defect.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was just at my dealer for an oil change and rotation, plus an update to the center screen, but no mention of fixing the shifter.....2018 EX.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
I was just at my dealer for an oil change and rotation, plus an update to the center screen, but no mention of fixing the shifter.....2018 EX.
It is going to depend on if the dealer is following Honda policy and process when checking your service records. Some are really good about this.. but we see enough posts here in the forum to know that not all dealers have the same attention to detail and process.

It is ALWAYS prudent to have a conversation with the service rep about any open TSBs on CRVs and if they apply to your vehicle. When in doubt.. bring an actual copy of the relevant TSB with you and show them.

My dealer actually does check the computer when I bring one of my Hondas, and discusses them with me. Even so.. I do keep hardcopies of all relevant TSBs for my Hondas in their respective glove boxes and I do check and confirm them with the service rep just to be completely thorough.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine broke at 36,052 miles Honda fixed it, I was in and our in less than an hour.

prt

·
Registered
21 Posts
They did fix it and have a Standing TSB at dealers to replace the old button with a new design whenever a CRV is in for service or maintenance. ;)
Yeah, if you have owned Hondas long enough you would know the fact that they had this problem AGAIN means they haven't really fixed it. I had this problem with my 2001 Accord but it is actually an even older problem than that. Which is why I called it legendary. The design by the way looks exactly the same as the one in my accord.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Yeah, if you have owned Hondas long enough you would know the fact that they had this problem AGAIN means they haven't really fixed it. I had this problem with my 2001 Accord but it is actually an even older problem than that. Which is why I called it legendary. The design by the way looks exactly the same as the one in my accord.
This is about as accurate and objective as comparing the transmission or engine in your 2001 Accord to that in the gen5 CRV. Nothing about the 2001 Accord and the gen5 CRV are the same.. with the exception that they carry the Honda logo, are a motor vehicle, and as such have an engine, a transmission, etc.

Of course the design looks the same, it has to fit in the same hole! What is different is they changed the material it is produced from to address fatigue due to heat, moisture, and the fact that it is probably the most used button in the cabin. In point of fact.. one of the reasons Honda was so slow to release a replacement button was because they had to anaylze cause such that they could alter the design to eliminate the cause.. in this case... a change in the plastic compoung the button is actually producted with.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is about as accurate and objective as comparing the transmission or engine in your 2001 Accord to that in the gen5 CRV. Nothing about the 2001 Accord and the gen5 CRV are the same.. with the exception that they carry the Honda logo, are a motor vehicle, and as such have an engine, a transmission, etc.

Of course the design looks the same, it has to fit in the same hole! What is different is they changed the material it is produced from to address fatigue due to heat, moisture, and the fact that it is probably the most used button in the cabin. In point of fact.. one of the reasons Honda was so slow to release a replacement button was because they had to anaylze cause such that they could alter the design to eliminate the cause.. in this case... a change in the plastic compoung the button is actually producted with.
Sure bud. Every other car manufacturer doesn't have this problem yet Honda has had it for over 20 years but supposedly now they have fixed it with new magic plastic. The design looks the same because it is the same. The construction materials of the button isn't the problem. It's the design. As far as analyzing it, it doesn't take a genius to figure out why it breaks -- try taking one apart. It relies on a narrow shaft of plastic that cannot be made durable. Maybe they could make it out of steel, but they didn't. Of course they could have redesigned it. They didn't

Actually, the new push button shifter probably won't have this problem because it was actually redesigned.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Permanently fixed on the HYBRID 2020 CRV: It's now a pushbutton (electronic) shifter.

I'm guessing that all next-gen CRVs will have the Hybrid's new shifter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts