Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2017 CR-V EX-L w/ NAV
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, happened to me today. Button didn't crumble apart but wouldn't shift from park. Had to remove cover and insert key to shift. Service writer said yeah we've had a couple of these to replace so he had the parts in stock. Took all of 15 min. and I was on my way. Thank goodness since I'm heading out of town tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Well, happened to me today. Button didn't crumble apart but wouldn't shift from park. Had to remove cover and insert key to shift. Service writer said yeah we've had a couple of these to replace so he had the parts in stock. Took all of 15 min. and I was on my way. Thank goodness since I'm heading out of town tomorrow.
It's good to hear that Honda is now making sure the Dealers have a proper stock of them.
The 2019 model is supposed to come with the new button that is made of a much harder and durable plastic. My dealer informed me that in the first quarter of 2019 they will be getting enough supply of the new type to change them on every vehicle they have sold to date. I think they plan on changing them whenever a car comes in for any form of service work. If not watch this forum and when they come out go down to your dealer and ask for yours to be upgraded. That is what I plan on doing.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I think this should be considered a safety issue and Honda should recall if they know they have a part that is subject to failure
How is this a safety issue?
Not being able or having a difficult time getting your vehicle into park or another gear. I think that's a safety issue. You may not and that's your opinion.

The oil dilution and no heat that's NOT a safety issue.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Not being able or having a difficult time getting your vehicle into park or another gear.
That would be a hell of an inconvenience but not a safety issue.
If you cannot get it to go into park you can hold the brake pedal and still shut off the engine.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Not being able or having a difficult time getting your vehicle into park or another gear. I think that's a safety issue. You may not and that's your opinion.

That's a pain in the rear not being able to get into park, but you can always go into Neutral, set the p-brake and kill the engine.

Recalls are reserved for genuine safety problems, not serious inconveniences.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Not being able or having a difficult time getting your vehicle into park or another gear.
That would be a hell of an inconvenience but not a safety issue.
If you cannot get it to go into park you can hold the brake pedal and still shut off the engine.
If you have no button to push in it won't shift even if you press the brake guess you need to read the manual. You are always just a troll on this site.

·
Registered
373 Posts

That's a pain in the rear not being able to get into park, but you can always go into Neutral, set the p-brake and kill the engine.

So you are stuck somewhere if you can't shift. That can be a safety issue

·
Registered
373 Posts

So you are stuck somewhere if you can't shift. Don't want my family stuck because of a deficient part. That can be a safety issue. You and this Robby are just trolls on this site

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Since my wife drives the CRV I have instructed her on how to release the gear shift if the button breaks.
Now she has a pair of long nose pliers to add to her collection of the glove box junk :=)

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
If you have no button to push in it won't shift even if you press the brake guess you need to read the manual. You are always just a troll on this site.
I guess you need to actually drive your car more often so you learn how it works. You can shift from R or D/S/L to N without using the button (or even the brake, for that matter), at which point you can set the p-brake and shut off the engine. Every A/T console, column, and floor shifter since forever (including the '77 VW Microbus I learned to drive on) operates this way as a safety measure, for this exact reason.

So you are stuck somewhere if you can't shift. Don't want my family stuck because of a deficient part. That can be a safety issue. You and this Robby are just trolls on this site
If there was a recall for every problem where a car can't get going, there would be a lot more recalls than there are. "Car won't stop" is a safety issue. "Car suddenly stops" is a safety issue. "Car won't go" isn't. You can see the reasons cars get recalled, and being unable to get moving from a stop isn't on the list. I'm not saying this is a well-designed part, or that Honda shouldn't proactively replace them, just that this isn't the stuff from which safety recalls are made.

And somebody isn't a "troll" simply because they disagree with you.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts