Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is an issue or a problem, but how do I shift into the lower gears (2 and 1)? I can't go below D. I have tried both pulling towards me and pushing down (as with the rest of the gears) and just pushing straight down. Neither one do it. Is there something you have to disengage behind the shift column cover?

·
Registered
90 Posts
You should just need to pull the lever sideways towards the steering wheel slightly and then it'll allow you to go down from D to 2 and 1. I haven't ever had an issue with mine. I wonder if the mechanism has simply got stiff in yours due to lack of use maybe?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yeah. If you put it in 2 then it will only use 2nd gear, never 1st, 3rd or 4th. If you put it in 1 it'll only ever use 1st gear. Pressing the O/D switch on the end of the lever means it can use 1st, 2nd and 3rd but not 4th (ie overdrive). Handy for when you need more engine braking to go down a steep hill for example.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah. If you put it in 2 then it will only use 2nd gear, never 1st, 3rd or 4th. If you put it in 1 it'll only ever use 1st gear. Pressing the O/D switch on the end of the lever means it can use 1st, 2nd and 3rd but not 4th (ie overdrive). Handy for when you need more engine braking to go down a steep hill for example.
Gotcha, thanks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It's actually possible to drive it almost like a manual gearbox (and unusually it even mentions this in the Owner's Handbook), though from experience I can confirm it's not really anything like it :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok guys, I feel kinda dumb. :rolleyes: I got it to shift lower, turns out you don't push straight down, nor do you pull all the way into the column. About halfway in between with slight downward pressure does the trick. Then to go to 1 you pull a little further to the left and down. So basically it's a staircase pattern going in towards the column.
I tried shifting like a manual, it's kinda fun... ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Glad you worked it out. However you'd think Honda would have put a little diagram nearby so you didn't have to guess wouldn't you?

It can be handy when you're driving on snow or on very wet roads to set off in 2nd gear to reduce wheelspin, or leave it with overdrive off (ie 3rd gear) when driving in areas with twisty narrow roads and steep hills (probably more common here in the UK than in the USA) to keep the engine nice and responsive and stop it from constantly changing between 3rd and 4th all the time.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad you worked it out. However you'd think Honda would have put a little diagram nearby so you didn't have to guess wouldn't you?

It can be handy when you're driving on snow or on very wet roads to set off in 2nd gear to reduce wheelspin, or leave it with overdrive off (ie 3rd gear) when driving in areas with twisty narrow roads and steep hills (probably more common here in the UK than in the USA) to keep the engine nice and responsive and stop it from constantly changing between 3rd and 4th all the time.
They should have, it would have been nice.
Yeah I'm going to play around with it a bit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts