Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some work done on the AC system and the shop said they had to drain the coolant to gain access. Today I noticed the car was overheating at idle, when I checked the coolant it was yellow/green. It's my understanding that these take only the blue coolant, is this correct? I called the shop and they said to just top it off with distilled water when it's cool. This all sounds very suspicious to me, what do you guy say?

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
I had a shop changed out to the Slime green coolant, no issues, why, they BURPED the system, I bet that is your issue. I had a long talk but that is between the shop and me, back then, the shop is no longer around due to todays times. less repar shops more stores.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know the slime green has been okay for you. So, at this point I should top off when cool, burp (I saw an ETCG video on this), top off again and watch the gauge while driving?

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,570 Posts
You should take it back, besides not burping the system they may have forgot to reconnect the fan/fans depending what all they disassembled. Using the wrong coolant will not cause a problem with over heating in the short term. But you should have only Honda Type 2 coolant in your CRV.
You also don't top it off with just distilled water except in an emergency. You top it off with a 50/50 mix.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It's more important to check / ask the shop about the type of coolant used instead of just relying on color.

Zerex coolant for example just dyes the same formula different color because consumers expect the color but the formula for each color in this series is the same:

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
you are to bring back to the shop, and have the Person correctly do your car, air in the system is your issue and topping off is an excuse. you want honda coolantt and did you actually tell the Person, if so then they need to charge you for that coolant and do the job.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,144 Posts
Once the coolant 'type' is changed, then a complete replacement is required for maximum life.

EG, on the Prestone Green bottles at Wal-Mart, they say "replace every 2 years if completely flushed". (Paraphrasing)

++++++++++++

That said, overheating at idle could be a lack of air purging, or a disconnected fan connector. Bring the car back to that shop, have them troubleshoot / repair the issue THEY caused. If they don't have Honda Type II (or Zerex Asian blue), offer to bring them some.

I'd be wary of that shop in the future! :mad:

·
Registered
548 Posts
I say for safety reason take back and tell them to do the job right with right coolant Blue. And make sure they did the work right. As mentioned sounds like they did a botch job and didn't connect the fans back. So now this is their cost to do the job right. Mixing Yellow/Green into Blue if that's was in there is a BIG NO. Either they do it right or Honda Dealer change it right and they pay for their mistake. No shop should just poor coolant in and not know to figure the right coolant to put in. I worked in a Service Shop and we verify before pouring anything in that it was the right fluid to go in. So this is their cost to do it right and drain and refill with the Blue Coolant-others will so don't but I would rather pay to use what Honda uses rather then pay more to repair the problem later on.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I had one shop 'change' the coolant in my old car and did not fill/dilute... they just put in the antifreeze (not premixed). That was the last time I went there.

A proper shop will use OEM spec fluids and do the ENTIRE procedure.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I tell my shop I only use BLUE Anti-freeze and they do as I ask.
It's so easy to do it your self anyways.
In the last year, I've serviced my coolant twice
and serviced my transmission fluid 2 or 3 times.
I also serviced my Power Steering and Brake fluids.
These are easy and when I do it myself, I know it's done right
with the correct fluids.
The Hardest part for me is driving 50 miles to the dealer for Fluids.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had some work done on the AC system and the shop said they had to drain the coolant to gain access. Today I noticed the car was overheating at idle, when I checked the coolant it was yellow/green. It's my understanding that these take only the blue coolant, is this correct? I called the shop and they said to just top it off with distilled water when it's cool. This all sounds very suspicious to me, what do you guy say?
I always use the honda blue coolant, just to make me feel better in the long run.

I just replaced the coolant last week, i used the honda cooland. I dont think is the coolant causing it to overheat. You should check if the fan is coming on, maybe the thermostat, but most likely they did not let the air out of the system, I did all that and no issues. Now your problem is that you dont know which coolant the used, and noooooo DO NOT ADD WATER,

·
Registered
1999 CRV Lx
722 Posts
Just my opinion.
When I purchased the V I replaced T belt and Water Pump, I used Preston green stuff concentrated and diluted 50/50. It's working good and that's well over 4 years back.
I even towed a fleetwood Yuma pop up camper last week for +- 20 miles with no overheating problems.
I've even used Dex cool on my previous Honda vehicles and never had any problems either with the Dex cool geling up or overheating problems.

I'm sure others have a different opinion than mine but to each his own.

Use whichever product gives you peace of mind.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,144 Posts
All I can say is, I have been AMAZED at the lack of clogging when using Honda Type II, compared to our older cars that have used traditional green coolant.

·
Registered
590 Posts
All I can say is, I have been AMAZED at the lack of clogging when using Honda Type II, compared to our older cars that have used traditional green coolant.
I claim no expertise on coolants. I’m just regurgitating what I’ve read.

I think most of the older green coolants were inorganic acid coolants (IAT) that had a much shorter life and thus shorter change interval. A lot of the modern coolants are organic acid coolants (OAT), which have much longer life.

some of the differences in the coolants are due to environmental/legal issues. I believe in Japan coolants are silicate free because it’s apparently illegal for them to put silicates in coolants (I don’t know why? I think it might have had something to do with silicates polluting the Japanese water … and so they often use phosphates aka P-OAT as the corrosion inhibitor. from what I’ve read, the coolant Honda uses in certain European countries is also different because those countries have also banned other different additives). In any case, mixing coolants is problematic because the corrosion inhibitors need to be at the right concentrations. When you mix different coolants, neither coolant will have its corrosion inhibitors at the right concentration.

Nevertheless, IMHO, because I claim no expertise coolants, I just stick with Honda coolant because I know I’m being consistent. Once I start mixing things, I’ll have no idea what is in the mixture nor will I know how well it will corrosion protect. I’ll also have to keep track of what aftermarket brand got put in there. I would presume if you got the system flushed and went with an aftermarket Honda spec coolant, you should probably stick with that same brand for as long as possible unless you want to flush again.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,144 Posts
Once I start mixing things, I’ll have no idea what is in the mixture nor will I know how well it will corrosion protect.
On our '80s cars, we replaced coolant every other year regardless of mileage. (For that matter, we replaced motor oil every spring and fall, too. That was in the days of single-weight dino oil.)

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
that was why I not worry, no difference in Antifreeze, people thing $$$ buys Better products. problem here is the OP needs to update ALL

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
The biggest thing is that cheap antifreeze may not be compatible for aluminum engines or aluminum cooling systems. Also, the blue coolant has the phosphate additive that helps protect the cooling system.

·
Registered
548 Posts
The biggest thing is that cheap antifreeze may not be compatible for aluminum engines or aluminum cooling systems. Also, the blue coolant has the phosphate additive that helps protect the cooling system.
That's the issue GM uses DexCool and that's what I kept in them some older have Green and I keep them separate and V's I put Blue back. You buy cheap you get cheap that's how things are you want to keep it going do the right way not the expensive fix way.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Update. what did you do.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts