Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're browsing offers from multiple dealers on 2016 CRV's.

Mostly we buy EXL Navi and Touring and we usually buy a few cars at one time, normally not all from the same dealer.

We always ask for a price +++, that means, Out the Door (OTD) with fees, tax, tag, prep, etc, etc, all included.

We pay cash and settle the full invoice.

Currently, we have 2 offers via email for a 2016 Touring for 31,275 OTD (includes local sales tax and everything else)

At times, we do throw in a trade from an earlier model year but never before we have the +++ price so we can calculate the true price knowing there is a significant sales tax reduction as the tax is calculated only on the difference paid (ie. 10k instead of 29k)

·
Registered
9 Posts
MSRP was $30,495
GAP Insurance +$774
100k mile / 8 year bumper-to-bumper warranty with AAA service, roadside, etc. +$2,057
Registration +$70
Title fee +$33
Taxes +$1342.74

Sub Total: $34,782.74

Negotiation -$1,366
Trade-in -$7,000

Amount financed: $26,405.74

Finance Charges 3.39% 6 years: $2,852.90

Grand total paid over 6 years (if not paid in full early): $29,258.64

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
MSRP was $30,495
GAP Insurance +$774
100k mile / 8 year bumper-to-bumper warranty with AAA service, roadside, etc. +$2,057
Registration +$70
Title fee +$33
Taxes +$1342.74

Sub Total: $34,782.74

Negotiation -$1,366
Trade-in -$7,000

Amount financed: $26,405.74

Grand total paid over 6 years (if not paid in full early): $29,258.64
You should probably return that warranty and get a quote online from another dealer. You can find them much cheaper online.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
633 Posts
I cant recall if it was a Honda or a Toyota dealer that used to sell the warranties at a much lower price.....Didnt matter where you bought the (honda or toyota) from! Thinking it was Toyota!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We never buy extended warranties, they are a cash cow for the dealers.

Just picked up one 2016 Touring Black Black for 31,175 OTD .. includes sales tax,tag,title,prep,fees everything, that was total price paid, no financing

Will pickup a few more

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
We never buy extended warranties, they are a cash cow for the dealers.

Just picked up one 2016 Touring Black Black for 31,175 OTD .. includes sales tax,tag,title,prep,fees everything, that was total price paid, no financing

Will pickup a few more
Nice! Sounds like you got a pretty good deal. I never buy extended warranties either. That's how the dealer gets "free" money.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Never buy them either.....in fact bought our 2011 CRV EX-L and took it to Nicaragua in 2011, thus no warranty! Even had a few dopey salesman say--Honda is a global company, of course your warranty will be covered..not

·
Registered
9 Posts
You should probably return that warranty and get a quote online from another dealer. You can find them much cheaper online.

Thanks for the tip! We didn't shop around at all, but did make the decision before-hand to get an ext. warranty. I'm busier than ever with work (used to do all my own maintenance) and we keep our cars for 8-10 years. It's good peace of mind to know that we're basically "financing" our repairs, and only have to worry about the wear-ables (rotors, tires, wipers, fluids, etc.). It was either that, or jump into leasing for the same reason. But financially it didn't make sense for us to lease. This was the compromise.

Anywho, thanks again! Will def do some reading. So far it looks like people around here, CRVOC, tend to like Honda Care over aftermarket ext warranties. I like the sound of it already

cheers!

·
Registered
197 Posts
GAP Insurance +$774
I got a year of GAP insurance via my auto insurance company for $56. Only need it until the loan balance drops below the Blue Book value, which is probably about 12-18 months through a 5-6 year loan if you finance the lot and don't drive huge distances all the time. You take a 2015 EX-L off the lot, it's worth $27,500. So sounds like you don't even need this at all.

I went to lendingtree.com to get a whole bunch of quotes, wound up doing rather better than the offer had via the dealership (who I think don't get any commission on those, they didn't seem to care less how I got the cash to pay them). Wound up with 2-3 credit inquiries on my report from that. For about this much over this long, figure $800 or so per percentage point.

Then as Coastie says, $2,000 is too much for that warranty. I got a quote from Hyannis Honda Care last year for $1,000 - $1,100 for that one depending on the deductible.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I cant recall if it was a Honda or a Toyota dealer that used to sell the warranties at a much lower price.....Didnt matter where you bought the (honda or toyota) from! Thinking it was Toyota!
For real HondaCare warranty - check Hyannis and Saccarri Honda. They will give you a great price on Honda Care warranty! I think I paid $1170 for 8 year/120,000 miles with $0 deductible. Definitely don't buy a 3rd party warranty.

Toyota has made it more difficult to get warranties from out of state. There is a place in Kansas that sells Toyota warranties cheap. You can no longer buy them on the phone but if you drive through Kansas, you can still buy it cheap from them.

·
Registered
252 Posts
For real HondaCare warranty - check Hyannis and Saccarri.
Another bump for real HondaCare. We got ours from Saccucci online. We recently bought a '15 Pilot and I was surprised the dealer was pushing some 3rd party warrantee I had never heard from rather than the HondaCare package, which they offered when we bought our '09 CRV. On the surface, the two plans offered the similar protection, but I have more faith in the HondaCare to get Honda service and genuine Honda parts than the 3rd party deal. I don't recall the price paid right now, but the HondaCare from Saccucci was actually cheaper as well (went with a 7 year 120k 0 ded plan, we'll max out the 120k limit before the years).

We buy Honda for the reliability and tend to drive them until they die. Back in the day I never bought the extended warrantee, but when we got the CRV with awd I figured it might be a good investment (haven't needed it yet). The new Pilot is filled with so many electronic gizmos and screens that I can't imagine not having one. I trust the mechanicals a lot more than the electronic wizardry.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Can i cancel my Vehicle Service Contract and get one from another dealer for cheaper? What did others on here pay for their VSC?

"To cancel the contract, you must bring the contract to the selling dealer, along with a notarized affidavit that states the mileage on your vehicle at the date of your cancellation request."

"In the event of a cancellation of the contract within the first 60 days, you are entitled to a full refund, provided no claim has been authorized or paid."

Do they have notary officials at the dealership?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NIU_Huskies said:
Can i cancel my Vehicle Service Contract and get one from another dealer for cheaper? What did others on here pay for their VSC?
How about starting your own thread instead of thread hijacking ?

·
Registered
453 Posts

"To cancel the contract, you must bring the contract to the selling dealer, along with a notarized affidavit that states the mileage on your vehicle at the date of your cancellation request."

"In the event of a cancellation of the contract within the first 60 days, you are entitled to a full refund, provided no claim has been authorized or paid."

Do they have notary officials at the dealership?
You didn't see if your current one is HondaCare or a 3rd party.

If it is HondaCare, I would contact Hyannis or Saccucci Honda and ask for their advice. I read on the Pilot forums and that Saccucci worked with one of the individuals. I believe the process was that you had to cancel HondaCare with original dealer and then Saccucci can verify that, you can buy from them plus an additional charge ($100?). In this original situation, the original dealership dragged their feet on canceling this and had to be prompted. Again, contact the company you want to buy from and ask their advice before you do anything.

If it is a 3rd party warranty - you will need to look at their guidelines. The one my dealer was offering did allow for canceling within 30 or 60 days.

·
Registered
136 Posts
You didn't see if your current one is HondaCare or a 3rd party.

If it is HondaCare, I would contact Hyannis or Saccucci Honda and ask for their advice. I read on the Pilot forums and that Saccucci worked with one of the individuals. I believe the process was that you had to cancel HondaCare with original dealer and then Saccucci can verify that, you can buy from them plus an additional charge ($100?). In this original situation, the original dealership dragged their feet on canceling this and had to be prompted. Again, contact the company you want to buy from and ask their advice before you do anything.

If it is a 3rd party warranty - you will need to look at their guidelines. The one my dealer was offering did allow for canceling within 30 or 60 days.
Coral, thanks for the response. It is definitely HondaCare warranty and not 3rd party. After reading what others were paying for their's i realize now i paid way too much. If there isn't anything Hyannis or Saccucci can do i will go ahead and just cancel the warranty i have with the dealer i bought my CR-V from.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Picked up another 2016 Touring, price paid was under 28500 before tax and dealer included a few requested parts

1 - 20 of 81 Posts