Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

121 - 131 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
I received some...stuff...that I had been waiting on to protect the wiring harness.

The harness plugs into an existing connection behind the side panel in the cargo area on the driver's side.
The installation does not route the harness out of the cargo area to attach it to the hitch. Instead it's routed into the spare tire well, where it stays until you're ready to tow something, and then you run it out of the open tailgate and then close the tailgate on the wires.

I was worried about damage to the wires, so after a brief moment of thought I channeled my primary hobby - building custom computer systems. I've built a few "themed" computer systems using "cable sleeving" to cover the wires inside the case. For example, about 8 years ago I built a US flag themed computer system in a Silverstone Raven RV02 Special Edition White computer case. I used red, white, and blue color sleeving to make the 24-pin cable look like a US flag (at the bottom of the picture), and did red-white-blue on the the rest of the cables, too. I used a white NZXT power supply, which is mounted vertically on the far right.

So I ordered some MDPC-X Big Cable Sleeving in black, and some MDPC-X Big 3:1 anthracite heatshrink.
Here's the coils of sleeving and heatshrink next to the trailer wiring harness.

Here's a close up of the sleeving and heatshrink. You see the woven pattern of the sleeve. It can expand to several times it's size, and then be stretched tight to collapse it to its smallest size. Think Chinese finger puzzle in terms of expanding and shrinking.

And here's one end of the sleeve stretched out over the 4-pin trailer connector.

I haven't done any sleeving in a couple of years, and it takes practice to get it right. So I ordered about triple the amount of sleeve and shrink that I'll need in case I destroy some while getting back into practice. I'll post some "finished" pictures when I'm done, including after it's installed in the CR-V.

BTW, MDPC stands for Million Dollar PC, a brand owned by Nils Papke of Germany. He's published pictures and information on 45 of the best computer systems built using MDPC-X sleeving at: MILLION-DOLLAR-PC [MDPC] | the world's most beautiful computer systems

·
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,186 Posts
Nice build! I like the red-white-blue theme. it looks sharp. My latest build, which is this one I'm on right now, is in a black Corsair 750D Airflow case, and the theme is red and black. It has a full window side, and red LED backlighting. It has a 6-core Core I7, 24gb ram, a GeForce GTX Titanium video card, and 3 terabytes of SSD's. The PS is modular, and came with lengths of the woven sheathing, which was handy, but instead of the sleeving I use heat shrink. I only heat the ends, which secures it nicely to any shape of cable ends or connectors. Made for a very neat organization inside the case. It also has supreme ventilation and cooling, with Noctua proc cooler and 7 140mm Noctua fans. Quiet and very efficient. I can play games on it, but I built it mostly for my A/V and music. It also has a Blu-ray burner, and with my 30-inch monitor, I use it to watch movies and streaming tv, as it has an astonishing picture, so I have no need for a tv in my room. The only issue is, it's a vacuum cleaner, so I have to clean it once a month. But it can rip a CD in a heartbeat, to any resolution. I also have it connected to a high end sound system, with 5 studio monitors, so it rocks. And it should, as it cost as much as a small car to build it. But I'm worth it.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Corsair makes good cases. I've got a Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 case still in the box that I will eventually get to.

I've also got two Xforma MBX MKII cases. They're a custom design based on a Silverstone TJ07 case.

When you first look at it you'll notice there are no panels on the front for a CD/DVD drive, and it has three slots running down the front of the case, that extend on to the top of the case. The middle slot on the top hides a slot mount optical drive designed for a laptop computer. Ordering options include a choice of a CD/DVD drive, or a Blu-Ray drive.

One of the MKIIs was a custom build the case designer did for me. It's water cooled, and uses bent copper pipe for the coolant flow. The pipes have been powdercoated black. It also has two water cooled Nvidia Titan video cards. The P4G in the link is part of the name: Prototype 4 Gold

My second MKII is a work in progress, and is not complete. It got pushed aside when I bought my house last year. It will also be water cooled, but with polished copper pipes for the coolant flow.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Step 1 of sleeving the trailer wiring. Since the wires are multiple colors, even a perfectly applied sleeve would allow the colors to show through. If I was making a custom set of wires for a computer, I'd use wire of the appropriate color to match the sleeve, so even if some of the color showed through it would not be noticeable.

So I covered the wires with black electrical tape. It adds extra protection for the wires, and will make it look better after I'm done. The colored wires you can still see will be behind the panel inside the cargo area.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Electrical tape.......that’s what I used, works great.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
My apologies for the delay, I got sucked in an issue with some members of my extended family, and am finally back to this. ?

First picture is of the trailer connector end, with black sleeve and black heat shrink.

This is an over all shot of the wiring harness after I completed the sleeving. Still need to get it installed in my CR-V.

·
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,186 Posts
Clean install! Or sano, as they say in custom car circles. Not the same thing as Drano. :giggle:

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
"sano"? Interesting...

From Urban Dictionary: Sano

Sano
Officially from the latin "mens sana in corpore sano" (a sound mind in a sound body); adopted by California Kar Kulture in the 1960s to describe a particularly "clean" (sanitary) custom job. Rarely used now, which, oddly enough, probably makes it cool again.

Dude just got his lowrider finished over the weekend. Sano paint, not too heavy on the bling.

#clean#sanitary#factory#smooth#custom

121 - 131 of 131 Posts