Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have an 02 and I just love that damn thing and I refuse to sell it. I'm looking into purchasing a new radio and speakers to get the navigation and bluetooth connectivity. Also to have a new rockin sound system.

I am not unlike you concerning selling it. I've been wanting something new lately for some reason and I thought I had found a nice low mileage 2015. I was getting prepared to go all in on this slightly used great looking vehicle and then I read the specs... Oh HELL NO it had a CVT transmission. What a horrible thing Honda did when choosing to use a CVT tranny... POS I was, nonetheless, devastated. After contemplating it a while, I decided that a new stereo would be good enough since I love my 02 so very much. It still cranks right up and runs great with it's iVTEC. It has < 140k miles and has a lifter knock but other than that I just love it. It's been the best vehicle I've ever owned and that's saying something!
Yeah I agree my Honda 02 CR-V still looks great and with a few minor glitches runs great. I'm keeping it.

Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there

Registered
I sincerely need some advice here. So I find myself now in retirement for 6 years and living on a very minimal fixed budget.

In 2008 I was thrilled to buy a very well maintained used 2002 Honda CR-V for only $4,000 that at the time had only 102,000 miles on it.
It Ran perfectly and looked brand new. And in fact still looks beautiful inside and outside.
And I've now added 20,000 miles over the last 4 years to it with now 122,000 miles as of today Jan 2021.
Expenses in last 4 years about $1,500.
New tires $359, oil leak $800, serpentine belt, $200, and a few other minor things battery, etc. So a total of about $1,500 total cost for 4 years of Reliable service.

However... It's now 2021 and It needs several new repairs.
1. Yet another oil leak just discovered. $200-$300?
2. Front end alignment. $80
3. AC compressor making noise for 2 years, so I don't use much but still works, Likely $1,000 repair?
4. Has a minor vibration for last couple years if I accelerate hard. Maybe motor mount? $200 ?

So I may be facing about $1,500 in needed repairs soon On a car that's now almost 20 years old with 122K miles on it, yet otherwise runs great and still looks great. And I want to keep it but want to be realistic in the odds of owning a 20-year-old car.

So my question to the group is. Should I give up this great CRV for a newer SUV?
Again I'm retired and on a minimal fixed income so spending $15,000 on a newer used SUV is not something I feel financially comfortable doing. But my CR-V as-is I'm sure I could sell it for about $4,000 and put that towards a newer used car.
But it still runs and I still like it.

So what's the groups opinion on me just putting say $2,000 in repairs to my Honda CR-V that I'm still Honestly in love with and keep it vs spending my retirement funds on?

Do you guys think my precious 2002 Honda CR-V will last me another 2 or 3 more years after the needed repairs or is it a bad idea to keep it.

Truly grateful for all your opinions.
Phil
I'd stick with your CRV but start getting second opinions on the repairs. $200 for a serpentine belt replacement on that year is ridiculous....even at the dealer.

Registered
2002 Honda CR-V 4x4
I sincerely need some advice here. So I find myself now in retirement for 6 years and living on a very minimal fixed budget.

In 2008 I was thrilled to buy a very well maintained used 2002 Honda CR-V for only $4,000 that at the time had only 102,000 miles on it.
It Ran perfectly and looked brand new. And in fact still looks beautiful inside and outside.
And I've now added 20,000 miles over the last 4 years to it with now 122,000 miles as of today Jan 2021.
Expenses in last 4 years about $1,500.
New tires $359, oil leak $800, serpentine belt, $200, and a few other minor things battery, etc. So a total of about $1,500 total cost for 4 years of Reliable service.

However... It's now 2021 and It needs several new repairs.
1. Yet another oil leak just discovered. $200-$300?
2. Front end alignment. $80
3. AC compressor making noise for 2 years, so I don't use much but still works, Likely $1,000 repair?
4. Has a minor vibration for last couple years if I accelerate hard. Maybe motor mount? $200 ?

So I may be facing about $1,500 in needed repairs soon On a car that's now almost 20 years old with 122K miles on it, yet otherwise runs great and still looks great. And I want to keep it but want to be realistic in the odds of owning a 20-year-old car.

So my question to the group is. Should I give up this great CRV for a newer SUV?
Again I'm retired and on a minimal fixed income so spending $15,000 on a newer used SUV is not something I feel financially comfortable doing. But my CR-V as-is I'm sure I could sell it for about $4,000 and put that towards a newer used car.
But it still runs and I still like it.

So what's the groups opinion on me just putting say $2,000 in repairs to my Honda CR-V that I'm still Honestly in love with and keep it vs spending my retirement funds on?

Do you guys think my precious 2002 Honda CR-V will last me another 2 or 3 more years after the needed repairs or is it a bad idea to keep it.

Truly grateful for all your opinions.
Phil
I have a 2002 with 22000 on it like u I love my little dayly driver .
check your flu rear end oil tranny should get you to where I am maintaining your car is always going to cos you but how much is a new one??? That is what fight with sometimes get a trustworthy shop to check it for you from time to time and I think you will be fine

Registered
Have you looked at replacing the blower motor/fan ? Mine is making noise now and then, and I'm going to just buy the after market motor (maybe $35) and install it myself. Lots of videos, it is just under the glove box, and looks easy. re Alignments; when I got my 2005 w 95k on it I found a coupon for 'lifetime' alignments at firestone. It was maybe $80 for one time, and $120 for lifetime. I now get the alignment done every 6 months for free. I'm at 155k now and plan to simply drive it till the wheels fall off. I do my own transmission and rear dif fluid changes. I also replaced the spark plugs at 100k and did the valves. Only one or two were tight. You would probably do better investing that $15,000 and using the proceeds to keep the 2002 running. Not to mention the higher insurance costs of a newer car.

Registered
First off I know of nobody, period who got anywhere near the reliability from a Subaru than a Honda- not even close. Subarus have their strengths, reliability not one of them. The 'V' easily bests a Subaru so ignore those rankings. Two on your 'V' if its like most of that age/mileage, the AC will go kaput. I know of no preventive maintenance for this- simply a catastrophic compressor failure will happen, and it will be costly unless you are a skilled DIY'er......... Not an easy job, done it probably 3 times- a full AC system replacement. Be nuts on your preventive maintenance, transmission fluid especially- they love new fluid- and fair earlier than the recommended interval. Tires are a recurring cost for any vehicle so don't factor them in, in a new vs used comparison. Flush the brake fluid earlier than recommended too, and its not hard to DIY a brake pad job if you have not warped your rotors..... You can also do radiator fluid yourself, more so for the corrosion resistance inside you engine than the 'cooling' performance, for the water portion of that job I use distilled, not tap- water... From earlier descriptions of vehicle ride, shakes, sounds, movement etc- ya you probably have some worn shocks/struts given the age. Unsafe ? Only you can tell but they are certainly not to OEM specs after 18 years... Its an expensive job to have done, you can DIY but its for moderately skilled home mechanics with the right tools and an intimate knowledge of the SAFETY aspects. I've done about 6 front strut jobs and it can be tough but the end result is a car that drives much better....

Registered
First off I know of nobody, period who got anywhere near the reliability from a Subaru than a Honda- not even close. Subarus have their strengths, reliability not one of them. The 'V' easily bests a Subaru so ignore those rankings. Two on your 'V' if its like most of that age/mileage, the AC will go kaput. I know of no preventive maintenance for this- simply a catastrophic compressor failure will happen, and it will be costly unless you are a skilled DIY'er......... Not an easy job, done it probably 3 times- a full AC system replacement. Be nuts on your preventive maintenance, transmission fluid especially- they love new fluid- and fair earlier than the recommended interval. Tires are a recurring cost for any vehicle so don't factor them in, in a new vs used comparison. Flush the brake fluid earlier than recommended too, and its not hard to DIY a brake pad job if you have not warped your rotors..... You can also do radiator fluid yourself, more so for the corrosion resistance inside you engine than the 'cooling' performance, for the water portion of that job I use distilled, not tap- water... From earlier descriptions of vehicle ride, shakes, sounds, movement etc- ya you probably have some worn shocks/struts given the age. Unsafe ? Only you can tell but they are certainly not to OEM specs after 18 years... Its an expensive job to have done, you can DIY but its for moderately skilled home mechanics with the right tools and an intimate knowledge of the SAFETY aspects. I've done about 6 front strut jobs and it can be tough but the end result is a car that drives much better....
I agree about the A/C; I own an '02 EX w about 150,000 miles and have recently become paranoid about the A/C issue after learning about "black death." I had an intermittent problem with the A/C clutch so I took it to a couple of local mechanics; neither could find what was wrong (one replaced a relay and the other topped off the refrigerant). I also found out I could get an aftermarket clutch/condensor/compressor for about $750 here locally in Southern California but have decided to wait until I use the A/C more regularly (yes, I did need to use it a couple of times about a month ago, which motivated me to have someone look into it). That said, I am willing to wait before I pull the trigger on replacing the A/C stuff and learn more about the aftermarket replacement parts (if needed), the chief problem I face Is getting a knowledgeable and reliable mechanic with A/C experience with CRVs or Hondas in general; I know what will happen if I take it to the dealer--they will just tell me to replace the compressor, etc., and do it the easy way without trying to find out what is wrong with the A/C clutch, an charge me $2000+.

Registered
2006 EX SE KA24A1 Auto - White all-stock (daughter's first car)
Another vote for keep it. Ditto on what Geezee said above about changing the transmission fluid; 25-30k miles is not an unreasonable interval. And why not do the trans fluid every other engine oil change. It's probably the easiest fluid to change in that vehicle than any other fluid in the vehicle; an easy-to-access drain plug, and a pretty easy-to-access fill hole (just get a funnel and attach a 1.5-2 ft length of clear vinyl hose to it from Ace to reach the fill port. It's so easy, I swap out 3.5 qts at every engine oil change.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I'd stick with your CRV but start getting second opinions on the repairs. $200 for a serpentine belt replacement on that year is ridiculous....even at the dealer.
Hey thanks. I was just estimating that repair. And you are right it was actually much less.

Registered
I鈥檒l put in my 2 cents. Last year I was in the same situation you find yourself. My 2005 V only has 118k miles and thought about trading it in for a newer model. Then I looked back at what I had replaced over the years; starter, alternator, rebuilt power steering pump, serpentine belt, struts and A/C compressor and condenser. Did all the former except the A/C because as it has been said that is best left to the experts. Not a lot of money invested even considering the A/C which I believe was around $800. The car runs like new and is huge inside which is something other compact SUVs are not. Don鈥檛 know if this is true but someone told me once If your repair costs approach the yearly payments for a new car it鈥檚 time to let go. Seems to me that in your case and mine as well we are very far away from this formula. I plan to keep my V indefinitel.

Registered
Musicman, I am at 217,000 miles on our 2004, just used my Firestone lifetime alignment again, car starts right up, gas mileage is almost the same as new, and was overall better than the 2014 we had for only a couple years. The ONLY thing we let the dealer do is the airbag recall. Car is overall easy to work on. Other than consumables ( tires, brakes, oil), we have spent very, very little over 17 years.

Registered
2004 CRV EX MT, 2006 CRV EX AT, 2007 Odyssey EX-L AT, 2017 CRV EX-L AT
Chiming in myself... I have an 04 CRV that I bought new in October 2003 with 105,500 miles on it. Over the last 17+ years I have thought plenty of times whether it makes sense to get rid of it. I have been told that since it is a manual transmission, I could likely get a good price selling it myself. But every time I thought hard about the option to get rid of it I ended up keeping it. I'm glad I did. I expect I'll have it until I no longer need an extra vehicle.

On that point, for awhile, I had a 2010 CRV bought used, and I couldn't get rid of that thing fast enough. As much as I have bought and loved Hondas over the years, boy did I hate that car. Among other things, that car had a transmission judder at 35 mph that no amount of dealer service would or could resolve. I mainly got rid of it because I was convinced it would tear itself apart at some point.

I am with the OP - keep the car - no compelling reason to get rid of it, and lots of really good reasons to hold on to it, although I myself have gone through the thought process a bunch of times.

Registered
@ManyVs My 2010 got that around 90k miles only for me to find out the tranny fluid had never been changed... A fluid service w/a little additive fixed it right up.

Registered
@ManyVs My 2010 got that around 90k miles only for me to find out the tranny fluid had never been changed... A fluid service w/a little additive fixed it right up.
Similar situation here: I bought my 2003 w 90,000 miles and incomplete service history. My son used it for a few years and turned it over to me. I decided to get the tranny fluid changed at about 145,000 miles. No problem; seems to run a little better.as well.

Registered
My CRV has 310k kms on it and cost me $10 for a new light bulb last year plus a service. Cant get cheaper running than that! Keep it and enjoy it.

Registered
Definitely keep it! I have a 2004 with 175K and change and it runs like a top with general upkeep. They don't build them like they used to and most cars are now way too complex to work on yourself. Heck I wouldn't keep most past factory warranty.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts