Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 AWD AT CR-V with 172,000 mi. It has been thru a lot, lots of scratches and paint chips and some small spots of body rust (smaller than a pennie-size). The car has been driven off road and on rough road a lot.

I just had the roter and pads replaced and new tires. Trusted mechanic says sway bar, bushings, and front struts need replacing. Engine makes a 1-second screeching noise when started in <40F temps (havent had this diagnosed). Also, belt sometimes screeches when AC is turned on, usually after not running. Sometimes there is a faint burn-oil smell outside and inside the car that comes thru the vents when running fan. Other than that it is a gem!

Seems like there might be more work in this rig than the value of the car. Should I scrap it or keep having it worked on?

Thanks to all who can help!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Keep it. Since all of those seems like easy fixes. Looks like you need a new start since its not disengaging when you start it. I could be wrong. Check your tensioner and maybe a new belt will have with the screech when you turn on the A.C

Burning smell could be an exhaust leak or a leaky valvecover gasket that is dropping oil on the manifold.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Keep it. Since all of those seems like easy fixes. Looks like you need a new start since its not disengaging when you start it. I could be wrong. Check your tensioner and maybe a new belt will have with the screech when you turn on the A.C

Burning smell could be an exhaust leak or a leaky valvecover gasket that is dropping oil on the manifold.
+1
its worth way more than scrap for sure because you know the history

do the minor repairs and keep on going

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Buy a newer CRV! Just because......:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I didn't keep and have the repairs done, I would sell. I bet I could get somewhere between (1,500-3500).

B

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
It really depends on what you want to do. I would assume that your current CRV is paid off which means you'll just have to spend some money to repair it. Or you get a newer V and have a car payment for a few year. I personally would keep it and repair it. No car payment FTW!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Sway bars themselves don't really go bad. It is just the rubber bushings where the bolt to the frame and the end links that go bad. Neither part if very expensive. The issue is the bushing bolts usually break off in the frame and need drilled and retapped. The end links themselves can just be cut off. Can find parts online for under $30 for the front or the back. In general they just get noisy and don't represent any major driving issues.

I have 223,000 miles on my original struts and they still seem fine. Can't speak for replacements there.

Loud noise on cold starts might be the A/C idler pulley bearing. Those are about $25 online, but a bit of a hassle to get to. When I was doing the timing belt on mine I actually took the pulley off, pulled the cover off the sealed bearing, cleaned it out with some brake cleaner, and put some new grease in it with one of those needles and put it back together. It made a big difference in general running noise from it, but it hasn't got cold here yet.

The oil smell could be the valve cover gasket, but I bet your cam seal plug is leaking. That part costs about $5 on ebay and is a common cause for oil leaks on Hondas. Can usually be changed with just a screwdriver to pry the old one out and then just snap the new one in. If the plastic tabs break you will have to open the valve cover to find the missing piece though.
http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/14-problems-issues/33202-2001-crv-started-leaking-oil-valve-cover.html

·
Registered
772 Posts
From reading the OP'S, looks like the keep it out weighs the sell it. All the items you mentioned can be repaired FAR LESS than another vehicle. My 97 V has 216k miles and still a dream to drive. Yes it's had timing belt/water pump and all the belts plus motor mount/radiator, but that's all except normal maintenance ie. oil/filter, and tires/brakes. It's rust/smoke free ONE OWNER and black. KEEP YOURS and do necessary fixes. BTW, I read the forum everyday and just look @ the NEWER ONES that are having problems as well, your's is no different. Save your $$$$$$$$$$$.
David g.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,742 Posts
My fix VS sell criteria is Rust.

Rust is difficult and expensive to repair PROPERLY. Those penny-size "rust icebergs" are probably much bigger than they seem, you just can't see it.

If the rust is cosmetic (on replaceable body panels like front fenders) it's not that bad, but I'd sell if the rust was around the rear wheel 'doglegs' or in the rocker panels (which could be rusty, they are covered in plastic cladding).

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you DIY the repairs these are all cheap repairs. Get your parts from rockauto.com and you will really get it done cheap. I am totally refurbishing my 99 CRV 4x4 and am getting all the new parts from rockauto.

The 1st gen CR-Vs are the best for off road, not that any of them are great at it. A critical service for that is the 4x4 unit on the rear axles. You must use Honda Dual Pump fluid and nothing else. Honda transmissions need Honda fluid, 3 quarts for a drain and fill. Oil leaks are common and probably the cause of the smell. The valve cover gasket and "O" ring around the distributor is a good place to look. Adjust your valves while your in there. This is a critical maintenance issue. And, if you're in that deep I'd just go ahead and replace the timing belt, water pump and tensioner. The kit from rockauto is under $30.00 bucks. Sway bar end links are five bucks apiece on rockauto.com.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts