Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The A/C system is not running optimally for my Honda CR-V 2008, here are the symptoms:

The temperature measured at the center vent can go sub 40F if the car is running, highway or local, but once stopped or idled, the temperature rises up. When the car is idle, the lowest temperature I can get is 65F. At 90F temperature outside, the Low/High pressures measured are 40psi/230psi respectively, which appears normal to me. No refrigerant leaking is observed. Cabin air filter is clean.

The symptoms lead me to suspect the problem might be either an inefficient condenser or fan(s) not working properly. Now here's my confusions:

1. Which fan is the condenser fan? the driver's side or passenger's side?
When I turn on the engine and the fan dial, the fan on the driver's side start to spin, I always think this is the condenser fan, but upon internet searching, some diagrams label the passenger's side as condenser fan.

2. Assume the condenser fan is on the driver's side, should the other fan (the radiator fan) run when the car is just stated?
My understanding is that the radiator fan kills off only when the engine temperature reaches a certain point, but again, some sources say you should see both fan running, e.g.
In my car, I don't see the passenger's side fan spinning immediately after the engine is on, (I'll take a look again to see if it would turn on after some time).

Thank you all!

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
The condenser fan is the smaller of the two. On your yr crv I believe it is on the passenger side. The condenser fan usually has smaller blades and more of them.
On many Hondas, both fans turn on when the AC is first turned on and the compressor is running and temp set to low and heater/AC fan turned on.
So, check the sizes and I think that the fan that is running on your driver's side is the radiator fan. If it is larger than the other fan , it is the radiator fan.
Basically it sounds like not enough air flow through the condenser due to both fans not running or fins clogged with bugs or other debris.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
895 Posts
Bad fan or relay perhaps. But the way they are wired, they should both be running.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks @Buffalo4 @BDub: haven't got a chance to look at it, but I kind of feel that should be it (given pressures, filter, etc, are all appear to be fine). Will take a look this weekend.

Now @Buffalo4: I looked up the pictures online, the two fans do look different: the radiator fan has 5 fatter blades, while the condenser fan has 7 thinner blades. I have never noticed this difference. Is this difference universal to all dual fan cars?

Also, I have a 96 camry, it seems that the radiator fan kicks off intermittently based on the signal given by the ECT(engine coolant temperature sender), so this is not the case for a Honda?

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Thanks @Buffalo4 @BDub: haven't got a chance to look at it, but I kind of feel that should be it (given pressures, filter, etc, are all appear to be fine). Will take a look this weekend.

Now @Buffalo4: I looked up the pictures online, the two fans do look different: the radiator fan has 5 fatter blades, while the condenser fan has 7 thinner blades. I have never noticed this difference. Is this difference universal to all dual fan cars?

Also, I have a 96 camry, it seems that the radiator fan kicks off intermittently based on the signal given by the ECT(engine coolant temperature sender), so this is not the case for a Honda?

Thanks,
Don't know. but on your Honda, the condenser fan assembly is smaller, overall (diameter). Take a look. I think you will find that the condenser fan is not working. Sometimes it is just a relay or a fuse, a bad connector or a bad fan motor.
In the Under the Hood Fuse Relay box, check fuse#6 20A for Sub Fan Motor (condenser) and fuse#7 20A for Main Fan Motor (Radiator), I believe. Page #331 in your Owner's manual.
Remember, if you find a fuse that is blown, it may indicate a more serious problem like a fan motor failure, but perhaps just changing it will work.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
both fans should be on when the a/c is working. Is the Clutch of the compressor engaged when its not cold? what are the pressures when the compressor is on?
The clutch is engaged, when the compressor is on, the pressures measured at outside temperature of 90F: low side 40psi, high side 230psi.

Yesterday I tested the condenser fan: swapped a known good 20A fuse, then applied 12V directly to the fan, in either case the fan didn't spin, so we can conclude that the fan is out. It seems like an original part with Denso 0653000-3250 mark on it. I plan to take the fan apart and inspect the brushes, hopefully that I only need to replace the brushes to bring the fan back to life, before I order the assembly.

BTW, by chance any one know the spec of the brushes on Denso 0653000-3250?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts