Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
New member here. I’m about to buy a 2019 EX. it‘s now January 2020. There are only a few 2019s left and knowing how many CR-Vs have been sold, I happen to look at the build dates of the three remaining vehicles at this dealership. athey had a build dates of 10/18, 2/19 and 6/19. Something just didn’t sit right with me. The 10/18 Had to be jump-started. I even questioned the 6/19 and walked out. Was I being overly cautious. Just thought I’d ask the experts here!

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,182 Posts
You have to look at the mileage, was it used as a demo, if so they should discount it. Also have them replace the battery.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Definitely have them replace the battery. Also insist on having the fuel tank drained and refilled (most long-term problems, six months and up, are caused by fuel sitting in the tank), and changing at least the wiper blades. And yes, a significant price reduction. Other problems from non-use can come up at any time, especially seeing how complicated cars are made today.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,918 Posts
New member here. I’m about to buy a 2919 EX. it‘s now January 2020. There are only a few 2019s left and knowing how many CR-Vs have been sold, I happen to look at the build dates of the three remaining vehicles at this dealership. athey had a build dates of 10/18, 2/19 and 6/19. Something just didn’t sit right with me. The 10/18 Had to be jump-started. I even questioned the 6/19 and walked out. Was I being overly cautious. Just thought I’d ask the experts here!
There could be a range of reasons why these three lingering CRVs have been on the lot for a good while. If it were me, I would find out why before considering buying any of the three.

A gen5 CRV sitting on the dealer lot, will discharge a fully charged new battery in a little over a month of sitting. This is due to the normal parasitic drain of all the electronic systems sitting in low power mode (~30-50ma is normal).

So.. as others have stated... make sure they put a brand new battery in any of the three you identified.

The advice to also have them drain the fuel system and replace it with fresh fuel is also prudent.... though I doubt a lot vehicle has much actual fuel in the tank. They don't fill them at the factory... just put enough in for them to be moved around until they are sold. My dealer puts a fresh full tank in every Honda they sell (but not until the vehicle is actually sold to you, and some other dealers probably do as well.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Full factory warranty starts when you do the purchase paper work, regardless of miles/time at the dealership. Whats to trust or worry about. It's Honda's problem for 3 yrs/36K miles bumper to bumper coverage.

Reactions: williamsji

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your advice. all vehicles had less than 30 miles on them, so they weren’t demos, I guess. The first one they showed me was the 10/18. It must’ve been one of the first 2019s. The motor bay was dirty as hell and full of leaves and the headlights were already fogged. Even though the price was really good, and even after looking at two other “older” 2019s, my gut time to walk.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
It's certainly not a sign of a well-run dealership; the dealership has to pay interest on every car on the lot... A year-old car has cost them a fortune.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If it has the 1.5 engine it may qualify for the extended warranty also. Mine is a 2017 and it has an extra year plus an extra 10000 miles.....

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,780 Posts
Good move to walk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts