Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 2nd CRV although I hope to buy this spring or summer.... I probably only have $$ for a 1st gen. at that time although I have had some Honda fans suggest to try for a 2nd gen.

If I look at these, most are '02 or '03 models with around 220 - 250k km. It's a bit high but I was thinking that condition of the vehicle is of paramount importance....if the body is good, no or little rust, no holes or rot underneath and no major issues (probably have to repair something if it's not already certified), then kms that's over 200k is okay, right?

Should I concentrate 100% on private sellers? Dealers in Toronto sometimes have a 2nd gen. CRV a bit over the asking price of a private seller so if I gave a deposit of what I have saved and then pay towards the rest? Or is that a dumb idea?

I think I should look for a '02/'03 from a private seller for what I have saved (approx $2500 I'm gunning for) and then see if I can find something in good condition - take it to a CAA approved inspection center and go from there?

This is in Ontario, obviously, so failing that, the 1st gen. are often a bit cheaper and I have options of the '99 - '01 (last year of this gen is usually good) with lower kms possibly (than 200k km).

Any advice? Is there anything to know for looking around Toronto, Hamilton etc. for one of these cars? I haven't shopped in Toronto for a vehicle before. My only Honda to date was a 1990 Civic DX a long time ago.

Thanks for any info. I posted in the Canadian section since maybe someone in Ontario or near Toronto has some interesting tidbit to offer?

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I agree with you on shooting for a Gen. 02 CRV (2002) vs the Gen.1 CRV, especially for the much improved K24 engine with timing Chain instead of a timing belt!

Myself coming from Ottawa, I’ve travelled to Toronto to buy cars, since there are much more to chose from.

Good luck

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I would suggest to aim for 03 and up as I have seen some 02 have timing chain problem. I know a used car dealer in Toronto. Logan Motors. loganmotors.ca They are located in Queen & Pape. I have went with a few friends there for a car. Everyone is happy with their purchase there. I just checked their page they have an 05 for sale. Just to let you know that I am not affiliated with this used car dealer. Most likely the best price you will find is from a Private sale but there is more risk. Buying a used vehicle is always a gamble. I would suggest to get something better like 04 & up. but you will pay more for it. Most likely will be a better condition. I would suggest to have it rust proofed to prevent the spread of rust. The lower the kms the better. But it could be also more $. Most importantly if it has been well taken cared of. Good Luck & Good Hunting!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with you on shooting for a Gen. 02 CRV (2002) vs the Gen.1 CRV, especially for the much improved K24 engine with timing Chain instead of a timing belt!

Myself coming from Ottawa, I’ve travelled to Toronto to buy cars, since there are much more to chose from.

Good luck
Thanks for the advice. Also, the 1st gen has some engine issues, right? The valves have to be adjusted every 30K miles, I think? The 02/03 models mostly have AC issues, I think... I guess it's easier to live with....although, I wonder if there's anything to look for or a way to avoid the AC dying? Is it any cheaper to fix these days?

I would suggest to aim for 03 and up as I have seen some 02 have timing chain problem. I know a used car dealer in Toronto. Logan Motors. loganmotors.ca They are located in Queen & Pape. I have went with a few friends there for a car. Everyone is happy with their purchase there. I just checked their page they have an 05 for sale. Just to let you know that I am not affiliated with this used car dealer. Most likely the best price you will find is from a Private sale but there is more risk. Buying a used vehicle is always a gamble. I would suggest to get something better like 04 & up. but you will pay more for it. Most likely will be a better condition. I would suggest to have it rust proofed to prevent the spread of rust. The lower the kms the better. But it could be also more $. Most importantly if it has been well taken cared of. Good Luck & Good Hunting!
I only see an 06 there now. :) Out of my price range, though.... :-( I can maybe come up with $3K this summer....but it's considerably more. Those vehicles look pretty good, though. I suppose these places don't accept payments if you give a deposit of more than half? I'm not sure that's a good investment for a used car, though, but I have been recommended the 05 and 06 CRV previously and they are more likely to not have AC troubles, too, I think (mentioned to me as well).

I can find 02 and 03 CRVs for around $2000 - $2500 with around 200 - 250K km so the question is what condition are they really in. I suppose they'll need more work than the ones at Logan motors and other places in which they look pretty mint. One 02 needs some clutch work, for e.g.

03 MT so you can run hondata and tune it if you are into that sort of thing
Maybe but probably not right away. :) I want to get a CRV factory service manual, too. Pretty expensive on ebay but I haven't found any online yet.

I've been comparing to Toyota RAV4 (the majority are out of my price range even early 2000s models). I also thought of looking at Acura 1.7 EL and Honda Accords - but the practicality of the CRV and cargo room is ideal. The auto trannys on the sedans don't seem to be as reliable as the CRV, though, too?

Hopefully, something ideal will show up in the summer or I'll have some options then.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it easy to catch the 02 timing chain problem? I didn't know that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts