Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recent 3rd owner of a 01 CRV. First thing I want to do is give myself a little more volume to my music. Would like to install some good 6.5" in the doors, but noticed upon disassembly the small foam pad at the bottom of the stock speakers was clearly soaked. I assume water is coming in the outside of the windows, & is possibly about to kill the power motors as the driver side barely works, the passenger's a bit better. Is there an easy obvious fix for this like replacing the rubber strip or something? Not much of a 'car guy', so any info helps. Would hate to spend $$$ on good speaks just to have them ruined by water....

·
Registered
895 Posts
Water will maki it into the door from the window. There are drains in the bottom of the door so it can get back out. Check them and make sure they are clean and clear of debris.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,656 Posts
There's not much way to prevent the water from leaking in, and yes, it does not go well with the factory cheapo paper-coned speakers. This is one of the reasons good aftermarket speakers have cones made of materials not susceptible to water damage. You can check for proper drainage by pouring a cup of water in the bottom of the door and watching to see how long it takes to drain. If needed, clear the drain hole, and if still inadequate you can enlarge the hole slightly with a very slightly larger drill bit, but don't go more than just enough to have good drainage. Otherwise you risk damage from water coming up through that hole from spray when driving in heavy rain. Also, when replacing water damaged speakers, make sure to remove corrosion from wire connectors. Water sitting in the door will cause this even in unsubmerged wiring connectors due to evaporation inside the door. This might fix your window motor. I'd check and clean all the connectors in the door, including the ones on the switches. If you find a lot of that, you definitely need to improve drainage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts