Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We joined this forum when we purchased a new 2009 CR-V EX-L w/Nav. A few years back (shortly after our first child), we traded the CR-V in on a new 2010 Odyssey EX-L. My wife always wanted to get a minivan (specifically the Odyssey) once we started having children.

We have had the Odyssey now for 2 years. Due to certain circumstances, the likelihood of having more than one child is extremely remote. Although the Odyssey has been very comfortable and can haul just about anything in it, we are starting to question whether we really need such a large vehicle for just the three of us. The Odyssey is my wife's daily commuter and she puts about 250 miles on it per week just for work. With gas prices near $4 a gallon and the Odyssey averaging 19 mpg's with my wife's commute, it also makes us think if we should buy a more fuel efficient vehicle. Besides, my wife misses the security of having AWD/4WD.

So, should we go back to a CR-V? We really liked the '09 we had except for the road noise. However, from what I have read, Honda seems to have addressed this issue. I really like the idea of possibly getting close to 10 mpg's more with the CR-V. I guess I am spoiled with my '05 Accord 2.4L Automatic...I average 28 mpg's with mixed driving and well over 32 mpg's on the highway. I think Honda's 2.4L 4 cyl engine is a gem.

Opinions, comments, questions, etc are welcome!

Thanks.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sounds like you want to make the change. They're both great cars, but seems like the CRV will serve your needs better than the Odyssey. And AWD is not an insignificant consideration. Are you in snow country?

Are there any other make/models you're considering besides the CRV?

·
Registered
633 Posts
gas mileage wise, not a huge difference between the van and the CRV, and then factor in what you will pay for the new CRV, def not going to make up any of the savings!!

I would recommend tryin gthe new Hyundai Tuscon! We loved it, but ended up going with our 2011 CRV which we love!! But for the price difference in the Tuscon, we would have loved it more I think,lol Especially since we now live in Nicaragua and my CRV already has a few dings by the moronic drivers here!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
for one or two children the CRV is perfect, my son and his wife did just what you did and they wish they still had the CRV. I am getting 28+ mpg around town in my 2012 CRV and it just turned 1,000 miles. But I am 63 and don't drive it like I stole it. I never own anything but a 4 cyl.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Real world MPG (on the AWD Models) is right about 26-28 MPG (per Tank mixed driving) on 87 Octane. Filling my CR-V up with 12 gallons nets a cost of ~$50.00 in NY State. I traded in a Toyota Highlander for the CR-V and I did notice a substantial Fuel savings for sure. That being said; the CR-V's 4 Cylinder Engine feels a bit pokey compared to any V-6 out there and as such; you will end up driving differently. I've owned my CR-V since Jan of this year and I can tell you that overall; I really like the car. That is not to say that there are no issues though. IMO, the Technology in the CR-V is some of the worst I've seen. The "Premium" Audio is just an insult, The GPS picks the worst routes, the Voice recognition feels like it's still in Alpha testing, and the Phonebook pairing/speed dial function needs a ton of work. My only advice would be to pass on the Honda Nav and buy a Garmin OR if you have an Android Smartphone with Google maps; get a decent mount for that. Mechanically, you just can't beat the car and the ride noise was addressed (I still think they can do better), so it's a smoother, more quiet ride.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The GPS picks the worst routes, . . . My only advice would be to pass on the Honda Nav and buy a Garmin OR if you have an Android Smartphone with Google maps; get a decent mount for that.
Doesn't Honda's Nav use the Google Maps software? I've always thought that you're far better off with a $200 Garmin than a very expensive factory Nav system, whether it's Honda's or BMW's. The Garmin gives better routing, more accurate ETA's, and more information than the factory built in units.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like you want to make the change. They're both great cars, but seems like the CRV will serve your needs better than the Odyssey. And AWD is not an insignificant consideration. Are you in snow country?

Are there any other make/models you're considering besides the CRV?
Thanks for all the replies.

As far as living in snow country...we live in NJ. We do get a fair share of snow. That being said, the snow plows do a great job around here. But, what if we're caught in a snowstorm?

We have also considered the Subaru Outback.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks for all the replies.

As far as living in snow country...we live in NJ. We do get a fair share of snow. That being said, the snow plows do a great job around here. But, what if we're caught in a snowstorm?

We have also considered the Subaru Outback.
Even if you don't get a lot of snow, the AWD is good to have, particularly if there are any hills in your area. Don't remember the year, but a couple of years ago, the mid-Atlantic states got more snow than the Northeast.

FWIW, I'm selling or trading in my 2007 OUtback for a CRV. I've had a horrible experience with the Outback and will never own a Subaru again for the rest of my life.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Doesn't Honda's Nav use the Google Maps software? I've always thought that you're far better off with a $200 Garmin than a very expensive factory Nav system, whether it's Honda's or BMW's. The Garmin gives better routing, more accurate ETA's, and more information than the factory built in units.
Google maps software would be a STELLAR improvement on the Honda Navigation. You are correct; in most cases any person is much better off using an aftermarket unit instead of a Factory Nav solution. It's what I had done for years and it's what I should have done for me 12 CR-V as well. I find myself defaulting to my Android using Google maps anyway....

I'd really love to see an Auto Manufacturer bring out a head unit that has basic functions with a larger screen that can basically port the user's Cell phone to it and the system can be used to input commands. I'd pay for that ability right now. Think about having the power (an OS) of your current smartphone integrate with a larger screen. Would be completely awesome.

·
Registered
331 Posts
FWIW, I'm selling or trading in my 2007 OUtback for a CRV. I've had a horrible experience with the Outback and will never own a Subaru again for the rest of my life.
I agree. the Forester I owned was the best in the Snow however; I had so many Engine problems with it. I soon found out that I was not alone. It seemed that Subaru had a huge issue with Engine seals. It's a shame because over-all I liked Subaru.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I agree. the Forester I owned was the best in the Snow however; I had so many Engine problems with it. I soon found out that I was not alone. It seemed that Subaru had a huge issue with Engine seals. It's a shame because over-all I liked Subaru.
I liked it a lot at first, and yes, it's good in snow. Everyone that I knew who had one loved their car. But after THREE sets of head gaskets in 100k, and a dozen other things that never should have failed, I've had it with them. Some was covered by warranty, a lot wasn't. Adding up total true cost of ownership, I could have owned a BMW X5 for the last 6 years for less than what that Outback cost me.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Google maps software would be a STELLAR improvement on the Honda Navigation. You are correct; in most cases any person is much better off using an aftermarket unit instead of a Factory Nav solution.
What map software does Honda use?

I think BMW uses Google Maps on its Nav system. And Garmin is far superior on routing, ETA, info, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I liked it a lot at first, and yes, it's good in snow. Everyone that I knew who had one loved their car. But after THREE sets of head gaskets in 100k, and a dozen other things that never should have failed, I've had it with them. Some was covered by warranty, a lot wasn't. Adding up total true cost of ownership, I could have owned a BMW X5 for the last 6 years for less than what that Outback cost me.
Didn't I just read a post by you on the Subaru Outback forum? They ripped you pretty good over there, but I fully understand your emotion. I feel the same way about Chrysler Town & Country minivans specifically, but also about Chrysler products in general.

Good luck with your new CR-V!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Icy,

You seem to have pretty much made your own case for going back to the CR-V. I've been having this conversation with myself, but only in reverse. I'm in a Rav4 currently, after having driven a number of minivans since 1995. Left the minivan world in April of this year, and thought I would never think about a van again. I certainly like the better gas mileage. But the utility, luxury, and storage in a minivan can't be beat. I test drove an Ody the other day, and while I like the drive and handling of a smaller vehicle (Rav4 or CR-V) better, I was put off by the Ody at all. I would want to put in a much longer test drive on it, and have a long conversation about the comparative lack of fuel economy . . . but I think it will be considered when the lease is up on the Rav.

So, here is the important question: What does your wife want to drive??? ;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Didn't I just read a post by you on the Subaru Outback forum? They ripped you pretty good over there, but I fully understand your emotion. I feel the same way about Chrysler Town & Country minivans specifically, but also about Chrysler products in general.

Good luck with your new CR-V!
Yep, that was me. After a few jerks responded in the initial wave telling me how they were "offended" because I stated that I had problems with the Outback (??) and other people telling me to buy a bicycle, sanity and common sense entered the thread a bit later.

Looking forward to a good ownership experience with CRV. Will probably be buying a 7/120k HondaCare warranty soon.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Icy,

You seem to have pretty much made your own case for going back to the CR-V. I've been having this conversation with myself, but only in reverse. I'm in a Rav4 currently, after having driven a number of minivans since 1995. Left the minivan world in April of this year, and thought I would never think about a van again. I certainly like the better gas mileage. But the utility, luxury, and storage in a minivan can't be beat. I test drove an Ody the other day, and while I like the drive and handling of a smaller vehicle (Rav4 or CR-V) better, I was put off by the Ody at all. I would want to put in a much longer test drive on it, and have a long conversation about the comparative lack of fuel economy . . . but I think it will be considered when the lease is up on the Rav.

So, here is the important question: What does your wife want to drive??? ;)
Deep down inside, I think she wants to drive the CR-V. She has expressed on more than one ocassion, how she misses the AWD. I also think she feels like she's driving "too big" of a vehicle with the Odyssey as she sometime's refers to it as an "aircraft"!!! :eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts