Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

shudder while shifting on 2014

5667 10
We have 246K miles on our 2004, runs great so we bought a used 2014 from CarMax (about 35K milers) and now noticed ( several months later) that the car sometimes shudders while shifting. Lasts about 5-10 secs. Wife is afraid we might have transmission problems. Is this normal on the newer cars or do we have an issue?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
14,536 Posts
Not normal.:Huh:

Did you get any records of maintenance?

If no records, have the transmission fluid replaced. Most folks here recommend a drain & fill with Honda DW-1 fluid every 30K miles. If that reduces the shudder, do the D&F two more times (which will replace over 90% of whatever fluid is in there).

Post back with results.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Definitely not normal.
My 2014 has about that many miles, and does not have shifting problems.

I'm with Carbuff, do a drain and fill of the trains and only use Honda DW-1 fluid.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Yeap drain and fill (not a flush, you'll make it worse, use Google/YouTube if needed) but DW1 is not required. Nothing wrong with using it but don't need to. Valvoline Synthetic Max trans fluid for imports is perfectly fine and $25 for a jug, which is 1/2 the price and don't have to go to dealership to get.

Probably want to do first drain and fill, drive for a day and do it again. About 3.5 qts per drain and fill (jug is 5 iirc, I keep 2 jugs on hand as I have my V and my wifes odyssey to deal with). 215k on my V and 135k on our odyssey and both transmission are perfect only using Valvoline for a long time and Lubegaurd red added once to each.

If problem improves but is not perfect, then just get a bottle of LUBEGUARD RED and pour it in. Then just drive it. Within a few days things should be fine and good to go for years.

Lubegaurd red is not a mechanic in a bottle, it's for transmission shudder which is caused by clutches not engaging properly. Usually due to pour break in aka driving it way too hard right off the lot brand new. RED will recondition clutches and torque converter clutches so engagement is smooth again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I'll disagree with Tigris99 on which fluid to use.

Stick with the Honda fluid.
Some are hardcore "use only Honda fluid" and nothing wrong with that. But 17yrs at a transmission shop (and 2 high mileage Honda's myself) have proven that authentic Honda fluid isn't a NEED.

But this is referring to the last few years of Valvolines transmission fluid rated for Honda's. Back when my Honda's would have been new DW1 was the only option if you wanted the transmission to last. But Honda Z1 was also causing trans failures (and Valvoline was to be equal with Z1 back then).

No issues with those who choose to stick with Honda fluid, but this isn't the 90s and early 2000s anymore. Odyssey since first service has been using Valvoline and towing a boat (previous owner) with no cooler then I added a cooler and tow my small camper and not a lick of issues.

Can't go wrong with Honda DW1, just don't feel obligated to use it, no reason to.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sounds like the infamous low acceleration low speed shudder from 3rd to 4th. Also sounds like you should still be under the powertrain warranty. Take it to Honda as there is a TSB for this issue. TSB involves fluid flush and reflash the PCM and it should be free of charge if still within powertrain. If the issue returns there is a second TSB for a torque converter replacement.

I had same issue with our 2013 I picked up used a few weeks ago. Unfortunately I was out of powertrain, but fortunately we were able to get the dealer to pay for the flush and reflash since we just bought the car. So far so good...no more shudder.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do you have the details for the TSB about the torque converter? What's the number? I can't find it when I do a seach.

I'm having the shudder again. We bought our 2014 used with 60,000kms and within a week noticed the shudder. They performed the TSB with the transmission fluid change and software update and everything was fine. When we needed an oil change we went back to the dealership to get that done because they gave us a coupon for a free oils change. A couple weeks after that I noticed that the shudder had returned. Been driving it like that for a couple months and now needing another oil change. Have taken it back to the dealership for that and to talk to them again about the shudder. It would help if I had the documents detailing the TSB for the torque converter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It took me forever to find the .pdf outlining the second TSB...and I can't seem to find it again. TSB number is 17-040, though.
Thanks Alan, I have had a busy Summer and haven't been able to take this in yet but will do this week i hope. My warranty is set to expire at 100,000km and we just hit 85,000 so i need to get on this soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.