Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are on a vacation trip from Kansas to Galveston Texas in our 2017 CRV 1.5 Turbo. About halfway into the trip, got a Shutter Grille Problem Power Reduced indicator on the display and basically takes away all the power. We stopped the car and the Shutter Grille is open and after shutting off the vehicle and restarting, the shutter is functioning properly. It runs fine for about another 20-30 miles, then has the issue again, and once again, no power, like no turbo. Did this three times today, reset each time after turning off and back on again. Last time, I drove it 100 miles or so in that mode. Anyone have any guidance for this issue? We called 2 dealers while driving and they both said they have never heard of this issue, and were not able to give any helpful information.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,066 Posts
We had a report of that happening during an ice storm. Just because the dealer says they haven’t heard of it is not a good response.only way to deal with it is to go to one with the warming on, don’t shut off car and demonstrate it to them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Temperature was just below halfway the whole time. It seems as thought the grille is open when the error occurs. We were stuck in non moving traffic for almost an hour and no heat up. Biggest issue was in Houston during rush hour, hard to change lanes in traffic without power. We are not too confident in our dealer, but plan to take it there when we return. Have heard about issues in cold weather, have not read anything about issues in 80F.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,066 Posts
Temperature was just below halfway the whole time. It seems as thought the grille is open when the error occurs. We were stuck in non moving traffic for almost an hour and no heat up. Biggest issue was in Houston during rush hour, hard to change lanes in traffic without power. We are not too confident in our dealer, but plan to take it there when we return. Have heard about issues in cold weather, have not read anything about issues in 80F.
Hoping you have another dealer to go to. There is nothing like competition for customers to improve service.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I wonder if the computer thinks the shutters are closed when they are open or possibly the motors are not sending any feedback at all and it has no clue whats going on with them. I hope the new dealer you go to can solve the problem. They should just replace the whole grill unit and see is that clears things up.

Rob

Reactions: aallentown

·
Registered
844 Posts
Not a fan of the electric shutters.
Just another thing to go wrong in a matter of time.
Especially in very cold climates.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,196 Posts
They have been used on cars for a while...I know the Ford Escape has been using them since 2013, with little or no issues.

I have a family member who refused to buy a car with fuel injection (for years!), he thought FI would be very trouble prone, he wanted to stay with cars with a carburetor.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Yep I agree. It's a necessary evil for cold climates but a part that moves like that which is exposed to rain, snow and very high winds just seems like something that is going to be problematic. Time will tell.

Rob

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I thought the shutters were for aerodynamics (better mpg) only, no? I don't believe areodynamics apply when the compressor is on.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
How do closed shutters warm up the engine (when still) as no coolant flows thru the rad 'til the t-stat opens. Pretty sure closed shutters is an aerodynamics thing, but I've been wrong before and I'm sure it won't be the last. If the compressor is engaged (motor cold) the shutters are open.:Dunno:

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Both aerodynamics (when moving) and engine warm up (when still).

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1127465
The link you gave shows the image from the manual. Look at it carefully.

Text Diagram Line Font Rectangle

If you look at the RUN period which represents a complete drive of the vehicle you will notice that as soon as the engine get hot the shutter opens and once it cools down a little they close again and this cycle keeps happening continuously based on temperature only.

I think the end of the graph is what confuses some people. It looks like the shutter stays wide open but it's just the cycle repeating for another drive. Notice the engine is off at the end.

Honda did make claims about aerodynamics and the shutters, but lets face it, this vehicle is a brick on the road, just covering up a bit of the front with a flat plate is going to do almost nothing to help a vehicle this aerodynamically challenged. IMHO it was just Honda not wanting to admit that it's only function is to help the vehicle operate in cold weather because if they did that would have then lead to buyers asking other questions.

Rob

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
It doesn't look like that diagram takes into account the compressor. I just did a cold start and the shutters are open......turn off the compressor and the shutters close (motor still cold).

·
Registered
310 Posts
How do closed shutters warm up the engine (when still) as no coolant flows thru the rad 'til the t-stat opens. Pretty sure closed shutters is an aerodynamics thing, but I've been wrong before and I'm sure it won't be the last. If the compressor is engaged (motor cold) the shutters are open.:Dunno:
Not sure. But that's what Honda says.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The link you gave shows the image from the manual. Look at it carefully.

View attachment 114833

If you look at the RUN period which represents a complete drive of the vehicle you will notice that as soon as the engine get hot the shutter opens and once it cools down a little they close again and this cycle keeps happening continuously based on temperature only.

I think the end of the graph is what confuses some people. It looks like the shutter stays wide open but it's just the cycle repeating for another drive. Notice the engine is off at the end.

Honda did make claims about aerodynamics and the shutters, but lets face it, this vehicle is a brick on the road, just covering up a bit of the front with a flat plate is going to do almost nothing to help a vehicle this aerodynamically challenged. IMHO it was just Honda not wanting to admit that it's only function is to help the vehicle operate in cold weather because if they did that would have then lead to buyers asking other questions.

Rob
I am aware of where the image came from. I'm the one that posted it.

I'm not sure what it is that you want me to see, or what you think I'm confused about.

·
Registered
310 Posts
It doesn't look like that diagram takes into account the compressor. I just did a cold start and the shutters are open......turn off the compressor and the shutters close (motor still cold).
Hmm. Interesting point. Since the condenser coil would probably have its airflow reduced with the shutters closed, it's probably designed not to close with the A/C on.

And, since many/most cars run the A/C whenever the defrost is set, and people use defrost a lot in the winter, perhaps this is contributing to the poor engine warm up issues some are having.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Most cars do not run the compressor when the defrost mode is needed as ambient temps would be 32* or lower. With frost on the outside of the glass, the heater and a/c do not need to be fighting each other to remove the frost/ice from the outside of the glass. When ambient temps are above 32* and with high humidity the compressor kicks in to defog the inside of the glass with cool/dry air from the a/c.

I'm pretty sure the grills are open any time the compressor is on. At least that's what I have observed. Maybe someone could ask Honda about that diagram and how the compressor plays into the equation. I agree with diagram "full close, engine warm up" but that's only if the compressor is off. If the compressor is on, the efans are running and the shutters are open.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.