Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if any commenters have had issue with radiator shutters not closing in cold weather? I just had the re-call done at the end of Nov. on my 2018 CRV. I am still unsatisfied with the cabin heat and continued rise in oil level. However I noticed today that the bottom 2 shutters close but the rest remain open leaving the rad exposed. The weather is pretty cold. You would expect that all the shutters would be closed at least until the engine warmed a bit. Prior to the re-call I thought that the shutters were all closing normally. Has anyone had any similar experience or thoughts?

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I thought both shutters (upper and lower) opened/closed together, not separately/independently . There is one lower shutter slat purposely missing in front of the intercooler. If the compressor is engaged, the shutters are all open. That’s the way I understand those crazy shutters operate.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought both shutters (upper and lower) opened/closed together, not separately/independently . There is one lower shutter slat purposely missing in front of the intercooler. If the compressor is engaged, the shutters are all open. That’s the way I understand those crazy shutters operate.
I don't know how may sections there are or how many slats constitute a section, or how they operate. All I really know is that 2 slats at the very bottom close leaving a section of the lower opening open and the upper area totally open.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Guess that’s something that changed from ‘17 to ‘18 models.......upper shutters operate independent of bottom shutters. Is the upper most slat in the bottom section of shutters missing on your ‘18?

What is the build date of your ‘18?

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
On a ‘17, if the compressor is engaged, both upper and lower shutters are open and both radiator efans are running.

·
Registered
466 Posts
On a ‘17, if the compressor is engaged, both upper and lower shutters are open and both radiator efans are running.
All the shutters operate simultaneously. The upper and lower shutters are separately fused; #22 and #23 in engine compartment. Perhaps one is blown.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Good suggestion.......maybe the OP will check fuses and get back with us.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
crv 383 All slats appear in good condition. As I mentioned only 2 of these slats close in the bottom section. I am not sure how many slats are in the bottom section.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In the fusebox diagram for cr-v, https://fuse-box.info/honda/honda-cr-v-2017-2018-fuses
it mentions fuse 23 A/C Compressor / Upper Shutter Grille

Maybe the A/C causes upper shutter grill to open? Few users with fine running CR-V mention they have the A/C turned off.

sv11
Thank you I will see if I can check those fuses but it has been my experience that there is a reason that a fuse would blow. Thanks..

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
If something should block the opening/closing of those crazy shutters (snow/ice/whatever), the shutter motor could be overloaded, thus popping a fuse.

Best I can tell, both upper and lower shutter groups have provisions for 4 slats each. There are 4 shutter slats in the upper shutter group and 3 shutter slats in the lower shutter group. The top slat in the lower shutter group appears to be missing.....intentional, I presume. Since there are 2 fuses, I presume 2 shutter motors.

Oh those crazy shutters.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
My presumption is, for both upper/lower shutters the "no power too shutters or default position" is shutters open. Started it up (compressor off), pulled fuse #22 (blue 15A).....front fog lights become inoperable as expected, but BOTH upper/lower shutters remain open.

With the compressor off, seems like pulling fuse #22 only would open (de-activate) the lower shutter and leave the upper shutter closed (activated), no?

Oh those crazy shutters.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Many thanks to commenters. As noted by one, there are only 2 slats on the bottom set of shutters. When closed they leave an opening to keep the intercooler cool I guess. With respect to the top shutter, I checked the fuses as noted by another commenter. Though 10a fuse 23 looked ok, when I changed it the upper set of shutters closed as you would expect. I hope that does it and it will continue to work. I also hope that it makes a difference to my Heat / Oil problem. Thanks all.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Does anyone know what turns on the radiator fans? Is there any connection to the louver position and the fan on/off?
I believe if the fans are on, the louvers will always be open at the same time.
I also believe the A/C (aka Defrost) will require the louvers to be open and have fans on.
What I'm not sure of, is there any condition where the louvers are open but the fans are not on (I would think so)

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Does anyone know what turns on the radiator fans? Is there any connection to the louver position and the fan on/off?
As Zip1 stated, the efans are on when the compressor is engaged (a/c, defog/defrost) in order to cool the condenser. I believe the only other scenario that would turn efans on, presuming compressor is disengaged, would be engine coolant temp reaching a programed temp, thus turning the efans on. I do not know what that Honda programmed coolant temp "fan on" temp is. I do know it is somewhere north of 210F coolant temp. A couple of GM vehicles I've owned had a 230F coolant temp "fan on" programming.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Many thanks to commenters. As noted by one, there are only 2 slats on the bottom set of shutters. When closed they leave an opening to keep the intercooler cool I guess. With respect to the top shutter, I checked the fuses as noted by another commenter. Though 10a fuse 23 looked ok, when I changed it the upper set of shutters closed as you would expect. I hope that does it and it will continue to work. I also hope that it makes a difference to my Heat / Oil problem. Thanks all.

I guess that's another difference between '17 and '18 year models......a difference in the number of bottom shutter slats.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I wonder how those crazy shutters function when the car is in gear/moving.:Dunno:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts