Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

Well, the dreaded happened- a scratch on our new 2013 CRV. It may end up buffing out (any and all suggestions welcome). Here's how it happened- going into our storage area this evening, I didn't realize I was super close to the keypad- just the right height to push back the side-mirror as I drove close to it to type in the code. Ugh. So, here's the question(s). 1) if you were to try and buff it out on your own, what would you suggest I try? I noticed a few new polishing compounds on the market that appear to do an ok job by hand. Mothers or the other M company (?) has a product in a tub claims to work by hand. I could take it to a shop- perhaps they'd do it on the cheap. There is some rubber on the lower half of the mirror (mine are painted on the EX) - I don't want to ruin the finish on that rubber part (prefer a hand-done job here if possible to avoid that area, or perhaps masking it would work?).

I did notice in another thread that the painted portion of the mirror is actually available to purchase from around $15. Is it an easy replacement? Do you have to remove the door panel and all the way down to the mirror - or can you pop out the mirror to get to the attachment for the skull cap?

Here's a link to the parts list that I found in another thread- the part that is scratched is the painted "cap" "skull" part- for mine it's part number: 76251-T0A-A11ZB - which I found on hondapartsdeals.com- but can't seem to figure out how to link to the page here.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!! I'm hoping I can get this fixed before the wrath of the wife begins! ;) I feel bad about it, but it was blizzard like conditions and hard to tell distance with all the snow blowing everywhere.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If the scratch is only a surface scuff, and not gouged into the plastic, then you might be able to buff it out with a product called "Scratch Out" by Kit. I've used it many times on the side of my cars after being hit by careless people parked near my cars. However, it only removes the paint left by the other car. It doesn't help when there is lost paint or if there is a scratch below the level of paint or into the metal.

However if there is an actual gouge into the plastic then you will need to have it worked on to fix it without removing it: light sanding to remove the gouge, then primer and paint followed by clear coat if you want to save the existing cap. I have no idea how to replace the skull cap. For $15 it would be worth it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Vicdoc!! Thanks for weighing in here! I really appreciate it!

Apparently the caps are painted- they have different part numbers based upon the color of the vehicle. So, it has big potential to be a very easily replaced part!! If so, that would rock. Hence why I came to the board... I thought to myself: "If anyone knows, it's the CRVowners club!" :) The threads on all-weather mats have saved our v's carpets this winter!

Thanks for your thoughts vicdoc! I'd love to see a breakdown of the mirror parts or your opinion of them - just wish I could link to the part breakout on that parts website for ya. I could take a screen-cap and up it.. let me try that...

Line art Drawing Auto part Diagram Vehicle

In that view, it's part number "10" Unfortunately, for the life of me, I can't figure out how 10 is connected to the rest of the mirror! The blow up is too small. I see no screws etc., or fasteners from this angle, so my guess is either clips of some sort or actually glue. Would love to know if these are easily replaced- it certainly is something that I'm sure others will have problems with from time to time! A $20 fix and a few moments of my time would be a perfect way to solve this! :D I'm a dreamer. ;)

·
Banned
2,510 Posts
Hi Vicdoc!! Thanks for weighing in here! I really appreciate it!

Apparently the caps are painted- they have different part numbers based upon the color of the vehicle. So, it has big potential to be a very easily replaced part!! If so, that would rock. Hence why I came to the board... I thought to myself: "If anyone knows, it's the CRVowners club!" :) The threads on all-weather mats have saved our v's carpets this winter!

Thanks for your thoughts vicdoc! I'd love to see a breakdown of the mirror parts or your opinion of them - just wish I could link to the part breakout on that parts website for ya. I could take a screen-cap and up it.. let me try that...

View attachment 16273

In that view, it's part number "10" Unfortunately, for the life of me, I can't figure out how 10 is connected to the rest of the mirror! The blow up is too small. I see no screws etc., or fasteners from this angle, so my guess is either clips of some sort or actually glue. Would love to know if these are easily replaced- it certainly is something that I'm sure others will have problems with from time to time! A $20 fix and a few moments of my time would be a perfect way to solve this! :D I'm a dreamer. ;)
They may be held on with screw #23 The trick will be removing the mirror glass to access the screws.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi! Back again with a bit more info- I wish the exploded view had a different orientation, as it would be a lot easier to see. However, it appears as though most of these covers are actually clipped into place for most Hondas! I'm finding info about civics, pilots, etc., and they all have clip on "skull caps" for the side mirrors. So, there's an awfully good chance that this is a painted part that clips into place that might only need mirror removal to access. One user on a 9thgencivic board mentioned that they use a trim tool to access the clips, then the part will come off without mirror replacement. Again- that was for a civic, so it might be quite different for us... but it *looks* like it might be a fairly simple part to replace. If so, that's excellent! :)

Would still love to hear from anyone who actually has gotten into the mirror and can talk about the skull caps! :D

Thanks! If I learn anything new, I'll be back to post about it!

·
Registered
704 Posts
I've never done it on a 4th Gen CRV, but I do own one... and have seen this done for previous Gen.
Process is simple: You need to manually move the mirror up and in, so you can poke a screwdriver on the outer lower edge of the mirror.

You will use a flathead and flashlight to unsnap the mirror at the bottom (usually 2 locations... inner and outer bottom).

Mirror will pop right off. Then you will see that the skull cap is attached by 5-6 plastic snap tabs. No screws. It's not the easiest thing to do, but you go one by one. Then snap the new one in, and pop the mirror back in place.

THis should help, similar on a Honda Fit!

http://www.justanswer.com/honda/677nh-honda-fit-sport-replace-skull-cap-right-side.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks JustinTime!!

I appreciate the comments here. It does appear to be an easy fixable part. I'm likely going to buy one soon just to get it taken care of while the weather is slowly getting better.

I'm a bit concerned about the glue holding the mirror down to the actuator. Does it need heating to be removed? How do you re-apply the glue to the actuator? (or is it alway sticky?)

I waited and the stupid part is now nearly $30 not $15. grrr... oh well!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Or you could just live with it. It's not gonna rust!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:) Well, that'd be fine for my car, but it's my wife's car, Rickman. ;)

Good to know, JustInTime! Yeah, the removal appears fairly straight forward, which is great. I should have picked the part up at $15. Since the scratch is fairly obvious, I think we'll be doing this sometime soon. :)

Thanks for everyone's help! If/When I do this replacement, I'll be taking pictures and notes to share with the group! I really appreciate everyone's comments/suggestions!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just picked up what Honda calls the mirror housing for a 2010 CR-V. This is the part that swings with the mirror not the part that is directly attached to the door and does not move. Looking at the part it looks like it contains 1 screw on the bottom that is accessible if you fold the mirror in, i am guessing the rest attaches via snap clips as some have commented. I looked for videos on this replacement but have not found anything applicable. I'll report back in a few days after i have had a chance to try replacing it. If anyone has done this your advice is welcome:). BTW I do know i need to start by taking off the mirror and backing plate

View attachment 138399

1 - 13 of 13 Posts