Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
Does our CRV's have the side mirror tilt down while in reverse feature? I know the 2016 CRV had this feature outside the US, but I haven't been able to get it to work on my 2017 Touring.

Sorry if this has been asked before but my search didn't yield any results. Thanks!

·
Registered
93 Posts
The only references to "tilt" in the 663-page USA owner's manual are to when the vehicle is tilted or for tilting the sunroof. So, I'd guess it is not available in USA models.

·
Registered
24 Posts
WTF.. just find out that Touring CRV does not have such basic feature.. I'm kind of happy with my first ever Honda.. but such small issues are starting to pile up..
I'm just totally disappointed :(((

·
Registered
46 Posts
I inherited my Dads 2005 Acura TL and it has this feature -- really nice.

The Acura was my first "premium" car and I find it interesting that most of the "cool" features that were new to me (heated seats, 2 memory presets for the seats, HomeLink Garage Door opener, dual climate control, etc. etc) are on my 2017 Touring. The two exceptions are the side view mirror reverse thing and also on the Acura the side view mirror positions are part of the memory presets. (or at least I think the latter isn't -- my wife refuses to drive the CRV yet -- I have to put a dent/knick in it first :) )

Of course the CRV has lots more tech overall.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
WTF.. just find out that Touring CRV does not have such basic feature.. I'm kind of happy with my first ever Honda.. but such small issues are starting to pile up..
Tilting mirrors are old hat, we had them back in the 1990's on higher end cars like Buick. ( I was working at GM back then). But I have never missed the tilting mirror thing. To be quite honest I don't personally see a need for it when I have a back-up camera which for me works far better for backing up. The guiding lines that show me exactly where I am going, including if I turn, are far more valuable to me. YMMV

Every feature on a car costs money and drives up the price. If I had my choice between a back up camera or a tilting mirror I would take the back up camera for sure. My buddies car has both! Of course its a Lexus and he spent nearly $15,000 more for it than I did my CR-V.

Sorry you are "so disappointed" over such a feature that frankly adds little to the value of the car when it has another system that does a better job at addressing the view when going in reverse.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
So, having a wonderful backup camera that guides you far better than a tilting mirror is disappointing. Hum....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thank you for responses :))
but, just to be clear.. I do not like when people park 3 ft from the curb.. even 1 ft.. usually park 2-3 inches from the curb.. And unfortunately backup camera is totally useless for this. it does not show you your right rear wheel.. Camera does not help if you are reversing with turns and if you have curbs and other 'low' stuff that is not visible in mirror and camera..

But I agree that camera works great if you are backing up straight.. Turning sucks and rear park sensors works better as you cannot see your rear corners in this camera..

I just have this feature on my 2 other cars and I like it very much.. so when parallel parking crv it is pain in the rear to tilt mirror manually..

BTW this is very cheap feature.. it is even possible to install such simple module as DIY, but I just do not want it to void my warranty..

·
Registered
24 Posts
oh.. and yes what is the point in driver seat memory if it does not remember side mirrors? it kind of helps but still I have to spend time to reconfigure mirrors every day my wife takes this car (and she has to do the same) :))

I'm sorry guys.. I'm just complaining :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'd rather have the backup camera if I had to choose, but I've found the tilting mirrors useful in some situations where you want to see where the rear wheels are, such as parallel parking. Also useful if backing down a long, steep driveway. That being said, I haven't done the latter in the CRV so I can't compare to how the camera compares.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I think a few of the strange omissions from the US CR-V has to do with Honda's ham-handed desire to protect Acura. If all the goodies are available in a Honda, why buy an Acura?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Everyone has different tastes, likes and dislikes. Since I am the only driver on the car a memory mirror doesn't matter. Also, the cars I can think of with memory mirrors are in a higher price range.
I looked at the Lexus NX (The upscale version of the Toyota Rav4) . You could get the memory functions on the seats and mirrors but that Memory package also required you to add some other "tech" functions. Also, you had to get the GPS etc. as part of it. In the end you got your memory mirror and the price was only $10,000 more than my CR-V Touring. Of course you did get a 2.0 lt. Turbo engine with it also. Only $10,000 more, certainly worth it if you really must have your memory mirror though.
As I have said before, a car maker has to look very closely at what they put on the car to keep it within the price range they are shooting for. If Honda added all these features to the CR-V they too would be $10,000 more, oh, just like the RDX Acura ends up being.

Its all about putting the most features that appeal to the most people while keeping the price in the target range of your customer. If you want more features then pay for them. Simple as that. You don't get a $45,000 dollar car for $34,000, at least not in the reality we live in.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Tilting mirrors are old hat, we had them back in the 1990's on higher end cars like Buick. ( I was working at GM back then). But I have never missed the tilting mirror thing. To be quite honest I don't personally see a need for it when I have a back-up camera which for me works far better for backing up. The guiding lines that show me exactly where I am going, including if I turn, are far more valuable to me. YMMV

Every feature on a car costs money and drives up the price. If I had my choice between a back up camera or a tilting mirror I would take the back up camera for sure. My buddies car has both! Of course its a Lexus and he spent nearly $15,000 more for it than I did my CR-V.

Sorry you are "so disappointed" over such a feature that frankly adds little to the value of the car when it has another system that does a better job at addressing the view when going in reverse.
I have it on my 2004 Acura TL. It has a reverse tilt and no backup camera, the tilt was pretty much useless. I usually just turn it off. Backup camera much more useful.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I like to use it to park as close to the curb as possible. Try to stay away from the door dingers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts