Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything to apply to the window channel to prevent this from happening? I'm not talking about heavy ice, just below freezing weather after a rainstorm.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Assuming it's sticking to the rubber channels and not the mechanism itself freezing up, you can try cleaning all the rubber tracks in the grooves and the squeegee edge at the bottom of the glass and with a little silicone spray lightly spray all the rubber. This lubricates it for long life and makes it a little harder for ice to form on it. Use this on your door seals a little heavier to prevent the door freezing shut also.

So basically, try wiping the weather stripping down with a 100% silicone lubricant.

·
Registered
437 Posts
There is a product called Sil-Glyde that will work well for this. It comes in a squeeze tube and is good for all of the door seals and weather stripping. It is available at most auto parts stores. A small amount is all that you need so a tube will last a long time. This is also a good product for the brake caliper slide piins.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Silicone spray works best. Dupont make a silicone spray with teflon particles, which should also works well.

Do not force the windows when frozen, you could damage the regulator (plastic gears). warm the car up and have the heater on high, than spray some deicing fluid around the windows (used for locks). It should warm the windows enough to break them free without damage to the rubber channels and the regulators.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Something I do on my vehicles is thoroughly clean the glass and apply Aquapel (Rain X on steroids), it makes a big difference when you need to remove ice from the glass. I do this on all windows, not just the windshield.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've treated the window and door gaskets with silicone, will see how that goes. Will also try the Aquapel.

I currently use a plastic ice scraper with brass blade, but used a 5 inch putty knife for 40 years (and no, it does NOT scratch the glass, just be careful around the edges).

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
This may sound like a stupid question, but bare in mind it's coming from someone who has lived most of his life in sunny southern California, but why would you want to open the windows when it's cold outside?

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This may sound like a stupid question, but bare in mind it's coming from someone who has lived most of his life in sunny southern California, but why would you want to open the windows when it's cold outside?
Bank drive through, coffee shop drive through, fresh air, etc.

·
Registered
71 Posts
also, after first start-up and pulling out into heavy traffic, it is best to roll the window down to get a good look at the on-coming traffic without a frosted over window in the way.

once the car warms up the frost on the side windows usually melts away, depending how cold it is.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
And you never know when you may need to roll the window down to give the finger to the car behind you :D

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Thanks for enlightening me fellas.:cool: (It's sunny today, hence the shades...)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts