Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I was able to find a set of original Honda CR-V 2005 sidesteps (the ones you can get installed straight from the factory) which I wanted to add my Honda but when I started crawling beneath the car to try and mount the brackets I realized that the pre-threaded holes in the body of the car are very rusty. They were also filled with dirt so I tried cleaning them up a little but I don't want to do too much for fear of damaging the already rusty threads.

Are the threads actually nuts postioned underneath the outer layers so I might actually be able to "replace them" or is my only option to actually clean up the holes and how would I best go about this without the risk of destroying them in the process?

(My only real problem seems to be the holes on the actual body seeing as the actual bolts and nuts for the rest of the construction look fine).

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
772 Posts
The best way to solve your problem is to either buy a "tap" and run it through the wholes or pay a shop a few bucks to have it done for you.
Times 2 on the thread chaser, also try a can or so of old reliable WD40, very good for rust penetration, JMHO AND GOOD LUCK.
David g.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts