Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pair my iPhone and say, “Directions to XYZ.” So many times I hear, “Getting directions to XYZ,” and then nothing more. While my iPhone IS navigating for me, I have to look at the screen to tell when to turn; I hear no, “In one mile, take exit, on right, to M43 west.” Why do I not hear directions SO MANY times??

·
Registered
404 Posts
"Getting directions" part is the IOS, not the navigation part yet. 1. (while in Carplay) check the HU while the navigation map is on and see if the volume is not muted or 2. look at your phone's navigation map and see if it is not muted... or 3. look also in your IOS's "settings" and look for the navigation app...

or it could be as simple as turning the volume up as soon as the app has started.... do this when it is giving directions (just after you press start).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don’t have navigation. This is strictly on my iPhone, with the voice coming through my car’s speakers vis Bluetooth. That’s why it makes no sense that I hear the first part through the speakers then nothing more. When my phone isn’t connected, I hear my directions through my phone.

·
Registered
404 Posts
This is number 2 on my previous post.
This might help, this is just voice thru Bluetooth but navigation is still in the phone... the same concept applies when plugged in thru USB thus using carplay.

·
Administrator
3,404 Posts
Hard wired or BT?
using CarPlay?

check volume setting on iphone (btdt)

I've sometimes found regardless of brand of car (some with and without CarPlay) that doing stuff with iPhones after maps have started eg music selecting, surfing web disrupts the phone's software's priorities or mutes the map's voice and silence results. Intensely annoying.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I need to start over. Sometimes the navigation voice comes through my bluetooth speakers just fine without having to adjust volume or anything.

Most times, however, I hear my iPhone through the speakers in my CR-V say “Getting directions to...” and then nothing more, despite the fact that my iPhone is showing navigation on its screen. When my iPhone is not connected to Bluetooth, I hear spoken directions during my entire trip.

The key to this issue is that I hear the voice just fine at the beginning of the navigation, and then my iPhone falls silent although visual navigation continues on its screen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We have had this issue with one of our Toyotas. It happened to us when we were using bluetooth but had the phone plugged in and charging. For some reason, having it plugged in muted the sound via bluetooth. If this is something that the phone does, that could be the issue with any make of vehicle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
But the sound isn’t muted!! I hear the first part through the speakers. And many, many times it’s worked as it should with no setting changes that I made to either the iPhone or the CRV audio system.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
What year (or GEN) is your CRV?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Your radio input has to be set to bluetooth to hear the Waze navigation. If you are listening to AM/FM radio, pandora, or USB audio source, you will not hear any sounds from the phone through the speakers, nor will you hear any sound from the phone speaker, since the iPhone thinks it's connected to the car's head unit via BT. The only exception to this is traditional telephone audio voice calls, which will take over your whole head unit completely regardless of what audio you were listening to prior to making or receiving a call.

Additionally, when the audio input is set to bluetooth, if your passenger is using the same phone to watch other videos (such as on YouTube or videos embedded in text messages or e-mail or a web browsers or any other app for that matter) the audio will be heard through the car speakers.

If you have music in your phone, stream that over BT while also using the Waze app. You will hear voice directions over the music when Waze wants to speak them to you. Unfortunately, you have to use the phone speaker for Waze spoken directions if you want to listen to music from any other audio source. I believe there is a setting WITHIN the Waze app to control this. It's not in the iPhone settings. It's in Waze settings.

Or use CarPlay, if your head unit has it. Without CarPlay, you're stuck. There is definitely a volume control in the head unit for BT streaming audio, but since it works some of the time, I don't think that's the problem.

There may also be a volume setting within the Waze app itself. I forget how to adjust it. I actually had a similar problem a while back hearing Waze directions when not connected over BT (just using the phone speaker). It was a long time ago, so I don't remember the specifics, but I remember the adjustment was within Waze itself.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts