Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been buying silicone wiper blades for several years now--since they contain no natural rubber and are pure silicone, they do not change pliability based on temperature, they do not age in the sun, they do not chatter on the windshield, they do not have a "memory" (when they sit parked with the squeegee laying in one direction), and the silicone material also lasts much longer, I have found. My first set I can't remember the name of (I think the trademark name was something like Sil-Edge?), but at the time I found that Sears had the lowest price and I ordered through there. Silicone blades cost more, there's no doubt about it, but they will last much longer. (What I find is that rather than streaking, the tip of the blade will start to erode and you'll get tiny stripes of water across the windshield, much like my silicone spatulas in the kitchen wear out.)

When I got my '09, I found that same company was no longer making silicone blades. I instead bought a set for my '09 made by Piaa, but unfortunately it was one of those with the old-fashioned metal frame that does not conform to the curved window. Luckily, Piaa made silicone wipers in a beam style blade, which will conform to most anything, and they have worked out well. (The windshield on the 3rd gen CR-V is more curved, so beam blades solve that problem.)

Now I see that Rain-X offers pure silicone blades. (Beware though--some manufacturers offer some that are silicone-coated rubber, but they are not the same. These are pure silicone, like the others.) The model to get is the AdvantEdge Silicone blade. It is only available in a beam blade. Still expensive, of course, but while poking around, I found that Pep Boys has the best price on them, and they currently have a 15% off sale on top of it. (The special is for online orders only, picked up in-store.) My Piaa blades are now almost three years old, and I may be due for a new set as I'm starting to get a couple of tiny lines of water when they are being used.

It's one of those situations where, once you buy silicone blades, you never go back to rubber. ? My rubber wiper on the rear of the '09 only lasts a year at best before it gets smeary. I wish more manufacturers would start offering silicone; perhaps the competition would help pressure the prices downward.

No affiliation with anyone mentioned here--just a happy customer passing along a helpful tip.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,882 Posts
(y) Piaa are definitely good blades. Biodegradable too.. so they are friendly to the environment. They get top reviews for silicone blades on Amazon.

That said.. I personally have had better results with Bosch Icons. They are not silicone, but rather a proprietary rubber compound that attempts to give the best of both worlds between rubber blades and silicone blades. The tensioned steel spring means they conform and flex through the blade wipe really well. The Icons also come with an offset wind spoiler which helps them stay in good contact with the windshield. A bit pricey... but well worth it, since I loathe changing blades. I get on average I get 18-24 months of use out of a set. suposedly they perform extremely well in snow and ice conditions, though I don't have to deal with that.. so I cannot confirm.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
+1 on the Bosch Icons. I love 'em! They work great, and have not deteriorated through a long hot summer of disuse, either. Which is a big plus around here.

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
1,459 Posts
Ive run icons forever and they are the best imo, On our crv im rrunning the new envisions, super expensive but work even BETTER than the icons

·
Registered
865 Posts
+1 on the Bosch Icons. I love 'em! They work great, and have not deteriorated through a long hot summer of disuse, either. Which is a big plus around here.
Heh, I have a set of $14/pair low profile Chinese wipers that are graphite coated rubber. I change them once a year and am super happy with the results, even Boston winter driving. No skipping, etc.

I used to drive with the piaa and/or Bosch wipers that cost 3-4x, and realized I was still changing once a year due to wear.

I could literally change my wipers every 4 months and still be cheaper than Bosch! That's nuts. If the window stays clean wipe after wipe, and the wipers are quiet, what are you paying for? At least that's my logic.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a nearly five year old silicone blade on the Civic that is still wiping just fine. The other side? Not so much...the weird mounting wasn't all that strong, and it flew off on the freeway driving in a bad winter storm. My silicone blades on the '09 are almost three years old and are starting to show a little wear, but they have also been subjected to a lot of lengthy road trips, being blasted with all sorts of sand, stones, bugs and other nasties flying at them at 80+ MPH.

I have found that rubber-based blades get a "memory" from all the time they sit parked on the windshield; the rubber ages and hardens, and the wiper no longer flips top-to-bottom as it should. This is when they start chattering or wiping poorly. I'm lucky to get one year out of the rear blade on the CR-Vs before they start smearing. And like all rubber blades, they don't work so well in the cold either; silicone flexes the same at any temperature.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts