Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just filled up my brand new 2008 CRV for the first time at Chevron. I was thinking...for this particular car does anyone have a recommendation on which company make makes the best gas for it ..ie shell, mobil, chevron etc... or are they about the same? Thanks for any imput

·
Registered
622 Posts
I just filled up my brand new 2008 CRV for the first time at Chevron. I was thinking...for this particular car does anyone have a recommendation on which company make makes the best gas for it ..ie shell, mobil, chevron etc... or are they about the same? Thanks for any imput
Years ago I read an article in a car magazine where they checked different gas from several companies and they found they were pretty much the same.They did recommend that you buy your gas from a station that pumps a lot of gas or is new as they found it cleaner because it is filled more frequently.They thought that was because some stations tanks have been in the ground for a long time and there might be leaching between the tanks and surrounding soil.Also in my area four no name stations were nailed for dumping used motor oil in their tanks.But that could of changed now that some are adding ethanol and different additives.I stick to the bigger names on bizzy streets.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Get your gas only from Top Tier Gasoline Honda is one of the car manufactures that recommands getting your gas from those top tier gas comapny, not only that they actually tells you to avoid the non top tier brands.

Chevon has been running ads about their Techron additive in their gas, well that is not just a marketing gimmick. Techron is a real chemical that reduces carbon build up in the engine and some people swears by it. Myself I try to get Chevon gas as much as possible the other 2 brand I use is Shell and 76, I'd avoid mom and pop stations and Mobil/Exxon despite that Mobil makes a fine engine oil.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've use nothing but Chevron and Shell here in the NW. They are the two most recommended, because of the Techron, by both BMW and Porsche Service Tech's I've delt with.

Arco is suppose to be "THE" worse of the major brands. Stay away from it unless you have no choice, and then only get enough till you can get something better down the road.

Sunoco is also suppose to be very good, but we don't have any here in the NW.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Sunoco Canada is Top Tier

Sunoco US is not. The Sunoco in Pittsburgh yields about 2 MPG less than the other brands for me. 2 MPG over 15 gallons is 30 miles less per tank which is equivalent of more than a gallon of gas.

So for me using Sunoco is like paying for 15 gallons and only getting 14, or paying an extra $4.00 for a tank of gas. I am not impressed with it. I have been trying to use Shell for the top tier quality.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Black Pearl,

I live in Western PA, near Robinson Twp to be more specific. I'm not aware of any Shell stations in my area. The three most popular stations near me are BP, Sheetz, and Giant Eagle Get-Go. Do you recommend any of these over the others? I think there's one or two Exxon stations around, but they're more expensive than the three mentioned above.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
BP Would Be My Preference

I am very leery of Sheetz and Giant Eagle. Mystery gas? I will get Giant Eagle when my advantage card will buy me a free tank, but other wise I avoid it. Sheetz, I believe--could be wrong, was one of the vendors that had the lead problem 5 to 10 years ago. I have never bought Sheetz gas and never will just because I don't trust their sourcing, but that is not based on factual knowledge just that it is off brand. Neither Exxon or BP are top tier, but BP sells Amoco which used to be a very good grade of gasoline. All of this is based on BS floating on my brain and not fact. So take it with a grain of salt. I have used all brands you mentioned, except Sheetz, and they all performed about the same. Sunoco is the only one that I have noticed to perform poorly.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The three most popular stations near me are BP, Sheetz, and Giant Eagle Get-Go.
I've never had any problem with Sheetz. The volume of gasoline sales they do means a fast turnover in fuel from the storage tanks. BP works (but for some reason, the last premium I got for the S2000 in New Jersey was 91 not 93 octane). I've run both in the S2000 and the CR-V with no noticeable problems. All gasoline comes from the same sources the only differences are the additives. Mom and Pop stations buy the excess so you can't be sure exactly what brand of gas you're getting.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not a silly question.

As stated already; stick to the top tier brands since they have additives in them that keeps your engine clean and efficient. Techron is probably the most well known of the additives; Shells is V2000 or something like that. Chevron use to (may still) provide fuel to all of the auto manufacuteres for testing and certication of their cars.

·
Registered
75 Posts
when I bought my CRV the dealer said not to use Sheetz and to use places like BP and Exxon... I tried both to see the difference in MPG and I get more MPG with BP than any other so I stick with them. :)

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
my father was talking to a mechanic and he said that safeway and costco had very bad gas and that cars that would use that fuel have had quite a bit of work done on them to restore lost power and Efficiency. i always use chevron and about once a month i put high grade 91 octane with one or two bottles octane boost in the tank drive in the freeway and keep the motor hot to help kleen it out. but the freeway part may just be folklore

also the mechanic said that two of the cars that had exclusivly used safeway or costco had died. but for all i know they could have been Ferari' sor lambos on low grade

·
Registered
255 Posts
I avoid the Fry's/Costco stations and now have gone to using Shell. Doing that I have noticed an IMMEDIATE improvement in my mileage. Right now, thanks to a recent trip and my "grandpa" driving I'm averaging 25MPG.

Chevron/Exxon is much higher down here and I try to find the best compromise. That has been Shell so far, and occasionally Diamond/Shamrock across the street when I HAVE too.

If I'm REALLY low on gas I will use my GPS (with MSN Direct) to give me the location of the nearest (and hopefully cheapest) gas station.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I generally stick with BP for a couple reasons... They are usually the same price, or within 1 - 2 cent of the cheapo stations like RaceTrack and QT; my son-in-law is a mechanic and says the Amaco white gas burns very clean, leaving less engine deposites; and I use a BP Gas Card that gives me 5% cash back on all BP purchases! So, when everyone else was paying $4.00 a gallon, I was actually only paying $3.80 a gallon! And, now that gas has dropped to $3.39 a gallon, I'm only paying $3.22 a gallon...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I generally stick with BP for a couple reasons... They are usually the same price, or within 1 - 2 cent of the cheapo stations like RaceTrack and QT; my son-in-law is a mechanic and says the Amaco white gas burns very clean, leaving less engine deposites
I can verify this. In college, I couldn't afford anything fancy but I ended up buying a '67 Mustang for a sweet deal and the insurance was cheap! I had to clean the spark plugs every 6 weeks or so when I was filling up at the most convenient places. Then my mom hooked me up with an Amoco gas credit card (I was still responsible for paying the bill) and I started using them exclusively. I noticed that I didn't have to clean the plugs for 6-8 months after that. I've been a loyal Amoco customer since and it helps that the new BP card gets 5% off at the pump.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I generally stick with BP for a couple reasons... They are usually the same price, or within 1 - 2 cent of the cheapo stations like RaceTrack and QT; my son-in-law is a mechanic and says the Amaco white gas burns very clean, leaving less engine deposites; and I use a BP Gas Card that gives me 5% cash back on all BP purchases! So, when everyone else was paying $4.00 a gallon, I was actually only paying $3.80 a gallon! And, now that gas has dropped to $3.39 a gallon, I'm only paying $3.22 a gallon...
Gee, the cheapest price I can find for 87 octane is $3.859. When I fill up my S2000, I can only get 91 octane at $4.059.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts